DivaSkyChick

taking apart a TV - bad idea?

Our Sony Triniton just died. The boys have taken the back of the TV off and are fiddling around with the boards and stuff. Now they assume all the copper wire wrapped shit is prolly best left untouched but they keep taking things off and unplugging things...

Anybody have experience with this sort of thing? I have a phone in one hand with my finger over the 9... :S

---
www.facebook.com/mandyhamptonfitch

Anybody have experience with this sort of thing? I have a phone in one hand with my finger over the 9...

Any experience with men taking things apart? Plenty. Them being able to get it back together? in working order? Not too much...;)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Quick bit of advice... Unplug it!

An old electrician's trick: Keep one hand in your pocket at all times. Some of the capacitors in a TV can carry a lethal charge for quite a long time. The last thing you want is to create a path up one arm, through the heart, and out the other arm.

Really though, modern TVs say "no user serviceable parts" on them, and they mean it.

The TV tube is usually delicate and is full of gases you don't want to breathe. Depending on how old it is it might be a vacum style whch means it'll implode then blow the glass shards every where.

Unless they have a multimeter and know how to use it and how to use a sodering gun... just take it to a shop.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The output of the flyback (it's the rubbery thing with the thick wire to the outside of the picture tube) will kill you pretty fast. The rest of it will just give you a pretty bad shock, since most chassis nowadays are not isolated from the AC line. If you unplug it, wait 5 minutes, then mess with it you probably won't get hurt but the odds of you breaking it vs the odds of you fixing it approach 100%. There's not much you can fix in a modern TV without tools (like a meter, a colorburst generator, a scope, etc.)

Oh girl, i'm so with you! But they're boys!

Soooo since I first posted, they accidentally pulled a bunch of wires out from somewhere deep inside. So it's over, the four year old 32" Sony Triniton is to be laid to rest.

I suggested building an aquarium out of it. Suddnenly sad eyes lift, ideas form... A plan for another day, oh joy! :D

---
www.facebook.com/mandyhamptonfitch

You have to pull things appart when there broken or when you brake them to try and fix them! Its the rules and an instinct ingrown into all us men. The fact that we can never remember how it went togethor in the first place doesn't matter :p And you can usually find SOMETHING that'll do something cool insided of an expensive object B|:D

Quick bit of advice... Unplug it!

An old electrician's trick: Keep one hand in your pocket at all times. Some of the capacitors in a TV can carry a lethal charge for quite a long time. The last thing you want is to create a path up one arm, through the heart, and out the other arm.

Really though, modern TVs say "no user serviceable parts" on them, and they mean it.

Heh, I found this out the hard way. Took apart a disposable camera with a flash. Batteries were removed.....woweee, who would have thought a little camera could fly 8 feet across the room!B|:o Later inspection revealed a 350volt cap. lol

The TV tube is usually delicate and is full of gases you don't want to breathe. Depending on how old it is it might be a vacum style whch means it'll implode then blow the glass shards every where.

Unless they have a multimeter and know how to use it and how to use a sodering gun... just take it to a shop.

Unless its an LCD/plasma tv, then it will be a cathode ray tube (CRT), it is has a vacuum in the tube.

We smashed one in yr 12. Thats was cool.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

the CRT(cathode ray tube) is a HIGH voltage vacuum tube basically.

that will kill you in a second even if unplugged! it will feel like A WHOLE LOT of static electricity then you will have to pick your friend out of the wall! i hope your post inspired your friends to stay away form it!

the hand in pocket thing is a good idea but leaving it to a pro is a better one!;)

if you dont know what your looking for you wont find it in a tv! its different then most plain pc boards
tell em to be very careful. if they knock it the wrong way the CRT will implode into little pieces that can be a pian in the ass to pull form your eyes!

My photos

My Videos

The output of the flyback (it's the rubbery thing with the thick wire to the outside of the picture tube) will kill you pretty fast. The rest of it will just give you a pretty bad shock, since most chassis nowadays are not isolated from the AC line. If you unplug it, wait 5 minutes, then mess with it you probably won't get hurt but the odds of you breaking it vs the odds of you fixing it approach 100%. There's not much you can fix in a modern TV without tools (like a meter, a colorburst generator, a scope, etc.)

Absolutely correct! Take the thing to a shop, then make the decision whether to repair or replace it. On most modern television sets, if the chassis is bad (not too many places replace just a board these days) the cost of repair will be very close to a new tv (depending on the screen size).

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

Bill's correct. Even when unplugged, the flyback connector (thick red rubber cable with a suction-cup looking thingie on the top front of the picture tube, from the high voltage power supply that energizes the tube) can retain a lethal charge becaused it's connected to a big-assed capacitor (a kind of high-impulse air battery, sort of). Discharging it can be done safely by somebody who knows how, and no, I won't describe it here. Messing with the inside of a television is VERY dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. That's why you'll see "No user serviceable parts inside" molded onto the back of the plastic TV case.

Look, it isn't worth horsing around with, even if you know what you're doing. That's why TV repair shops have gone the way of the buffalo. You're much safer just chucking it and scrounging up another used one somewhere.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Heh, I found this out the hard way. Took apart a disposable camera with a flash. Batteries were removed.....woweee, who would have thought a little camera could fly 8 feet across the room!B|:o Later inspection revealed a 350volt cap. lol

I've gotten stung by the cap in a camera flash too. Nasty surprise, that :o

From the Ten Commandments of Electrical Safety:

"Beware the lightning that lurketh in an undischarged capacitor lest it cause thee to bounce upon thy buttocks in a most unseemly manner." :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Depending on the design details, the anode voltage can be 50,000 volts or more on a color picture tube, and the capacitor may store the charge for a long time (longer than 5 minutes).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

inspection revealed a 350volt cap.

Just because the capacitor is a 350volt capacitor does not mean it was charged to 350volt. It could well have been in a circuit that was much less. If it says it is a 350volt, that is what it is rated at, not what it charges to.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

inspection revealed a 350volt cap.

Just because the capacitor is a 350volt capacitor does not mean it was charged to 350volt. It could well have been in a circuit that was much less. If it says it is a 350volt, that is what it is rated at, not what it charges to.

Jah, but it still stings when ya touch it - ZOWIE!

heh

>Just because the capacitor is a 350volt capacitor does not mean it was charged to 350volt.

In addition, it does not equate to destructive energies. I regularly test stuff with ESD guns that generate 15,000 volts - but since the total charge is low there's not much danger (though it does hurt.)

I know it doesn't have to be high voltage to hurt. I got bit by the 28-volt circuit on an aircraft once - I learned and didn't let it happen again. I also got hit with 450-volts when I disharged a capacitor bank through my arms and chest. Put me on the floor very quickly and I couldn't get up for quite some time because my arms wouldn't work to help me get up. Scariest part was I was alone at the time and wasn't expected to be anywhere with anyone for several hours.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.