elias123

Should I ?

Hey,

Might get flamed, but here goes.
Saturday, I'll be jumping at a dropzone I've never been to. I recently bought my first canopy (atom 00, electra 150, tencho 128). I have 65 jumps and my last 10 jumps have been on a quadra 170 (6 jumps) and a spectre 170 (4 jumps). My question is, should I jump this canopy (the electra 150) at my current level of 'experience' (and at a wingloading of 1.14)? Personally I think that if I did, everything would probably be ok, but on the other hand I feel a little reluctant to jump it because I'm having doubts about the fact if I have sufficient 'experience' to jump it. So that's why I ask you (preferably the more advanced jumpers) what you would advise me. Jump my new canopy? Or make a few more jumps on other larger, probably 170 sqf, canopy's? Thanks in advance.

Blue skies
Eli

I'm not going to say if you should jump the 150 now or not, I don't know enough about you to make that call, but honestly I'd be a lot more concerned about the size of the reserve. If you're not sure about the 150, what makes you think the 128 is a good idea? You may never use it, but you may need it on your next jump when you're already in a bad situation trying to land in a tight place.

Believe me, I have my concerns about that as well, but I was 'advised' that it probably wouldn't be a problem as long as I'd come in straight, against the wind, and land with a good flare. With every passing day I feel like I made a wrong decision buying that canopy.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

bout 500 in 2 years. If I were you contact scott miller at freedom of flight school and see what he says. I downsized too quickly, and while I do not regret it I still downsized too quickly and should have developed more skill before moving on. Now I do great with my canopy soooooooo... go by the numbers don't get in a rush
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

Believe me, I have my concerns about that as well, but I was 'advised' that it probably wouldn't be a problem as long as I'd come in straight, against the wind, and land with a good flare. With every passing day I feel like I made a wrong decision buying that canopy.

So what happens when you're unconscious and have a cypres fire, and you land downwind, with no flare?

:|

I don't have the experience to tell you...

But if it were me I would base my decision partly on weather or not I fit the criteria described in this text:

http://www.bigairsportz.com/pdf/bas-sizingchart.pdf

By plugging your own personal numbers into this chart, you can get BG's advice and decide for yourself what to do with it...

Also, mixing that with a new DZ as well? If it was me and I made the decision to go with all those variables, I'd definately make my first jump a full-altitude hop & pop so I could get a basic feel for all of it before having to land.

And yeah, what Allison said too...
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

We don't know you, so all advice here is based on norms and trying to keep you in one piece.

As you said, you'd probably be fine on the 150, but being on it increases the severity of any mistakes you make...

I'd suggest doing at least a few more on the 170. Look at billvon's Downsizing Checklist and see how much of that you can do. When you feel comfortable with everything on that list, you're probably ready to go to the 150.

The fact that your posting this question tells me you already know what you should probably do, question is, will you... Why not make more jumps on the larger more forgiving canopy? believe it or not, you can gain one heck of a lot of valuable experience on the larger wing, and if or when you make the inevitable mistake, the margine for error will be bigger and more in your favor.

A new Dz + unfamiliar faster new canopy at your experience level can be a really bad recipe.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

So what happens when you're unconscious and have a cypres fire, and you land downwind, with no flare?

:|

Exactly. (the example you state here is probably one thing i have thought about the most) It's stuff like that wich troubles my mind all the time. Landing in a good, open and clear space, into the wind, with a good flare (on my reserve) is probably the best scenario I can encounter, and the probability of that happening is very slim.

The fact that your posting this question tells me you already know what you should probably do, question is, will you... Why not make more jumps on the larger more forgiving canopy? believe it or not, you can gain one heck of a lot of valuable experience on the larger wing, and if or when you make the inevitable mistake, the margine for error will be bigger and more in your favor.

A new Dz + unfamiliar faster new canopy at your experience level can be a really bad recipe.

Roy

Yeah I know. I guess I just wanted to make sure if I wasn't overreacting. Always better to ask questions than becoming a statistic. Also the fact that I myself don't feel comfortable jumping this canopy says enough I think. Thanks for the advice. (I'll be jumping larger canopy's for a while that's for sure)

hmmm...how would experience help you with this problem anyways. I'd say if someone with 5000 jumps and was unconcious jumping the 128 will most likely have the same outcome as a person with zero skydives, unconscious, and making a jump on the 128.

To the original poster. That is a pretty light wingloading. If your current and you can land where you want to and where you're supposed to while doing a predictable pattern... You'll most likely be fine.
Na' Cho' Cheese

Can you land the 170 standing every time? Hit where you want to land within a few yards? Land in zero winds?
As Jarrett mentions, 1.14 is a light wingloading, but that doesn't take into account the way the canopy performs, either. The Electra appears to be an intermediate canopy...so the question predominantly runs to how you manage the 170. Any input from your instructors or experienced skydivers at your current DZ?
This article may help you come to an informed decision.

hmmm...how would experience help you with this problem anyways. I'd say if someone with 5000 jumps and was unconcious jumping the 128 will most likely have the same outcome as a person with zero skydives, unconscious, and making a jump on the 128.

To the original poster. That is a pretty light wingloading. If your current and you can land where you want to and where you're supposed to while doing a predictable pattern... You'll most likely be fine.

I jump on average maby 2 times a month. I wouldn't consider that to be current. 1.14 WL may not be that high and I can pretty much land in the vicinity of where I want to go, but it's not like I can land on a frisbee. You're definately right about the 128-5000jumps-unconcious thing and I have thought about that before, but I think that 128 reserve for my expierence is just to small.

btw 900 jumps in two years and 16 years of age?
damn, that's an awful lot of jumping :)

Every time stand up landing? No. From the 10 jumps on 170's, I've had about 7 stand up landings. The last 4 jumps were in zero winds and I had two stand up landings that day and two 'failed' landings.

Landing within a few yards of where I want to be? Sometimes yes, mostly no. But I can land within a few 10's of meters and fly a pretty predictalble pattern. And I never try any swooping stuff up high. I just want to land safely.

No input from instructors or experienced skydivers at my current DZ yet, except the seller of the rig of course.

I'm just wondering now if I should sell my rig and buy something larger, or put my rig away, jump 170 a while, and take my rig out the closet when I'm ready.

I'm just wondering now if I should sell my rig and buy something larger, or put my rig away, jump 170 a while, and take my rig out the closet when I'm ready.

Sounds like a brilliant conclusion to me. ;)
With a wingloading of 1.14, you'll be ready for that 150 in no time flat.

The reserve is pretty scary any way you look at it though. Unconscious or conscious, it's beyond your level to jump. Keep in mind that if you end up using your reserve, you'll likely not be calm, cool, and collected, either, and that reserve will be significantly faster than you're anticipating or familiar with.
Perhaps when you're ready for the 150 you might consider picking up a PD Optimum 143, that's pretty close to the 150 in size, and you'd be able to manage that, or should be.

Because (from my experience) smaller canopy's seem to pack better, but I can be wrong there, and I also want to be able to play a bit in the air, I just never want to swoop. At least that's what I want now, but that may change in the next 10 years altough I doubt that very much, but who knows.

Is it possible to replace a techno 128 reserve from an atom 00 container? I thought it wasn't, but if it is then chances are very high indeed that I will take your advive on that and buy a larger reserve in the range of 140-160.

my concern would be more about jumping the Techno than the Electra.

Not because the Techno is not good. On the contrary, it's a great canopy.

But you'd be going from a 170 to a 128 [:/]

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Damn! FWIW, I'm highly impressed with your attitude. You're thinking. You are listening. You are learning. Damn good stuff!

The part I'm having trouble with is your statement about no input from people at your DZ other than the seller.
I hope you haven't already bought the smaller canopy without help and assistance from your instructors and/or your rigger. Not saying you're not smart enough to handle the transaction yourself...not saying that at all. Just thinking that you may have valuable knowledge resources that you may not have used prior to purchase.

As for jumping a new canopy at a new DZ at 65 jumps...I'd go with what you're used to and save the experimentation for home and familiar territory.

Keep up the good attitude...it will serve you well throughout your skydiving career.
:)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You're right, I think tiny reserves are a dumb idea for anyone.

Damn! FWIW, I'm highly impressed with your attitude. You're thinking. You are listening. You are learning. Damn good stuff!

The part I'm having trouble with is your statement about no input from people at your DZ other than the seller.
I hope you haven't already bought the smaller canopy without help and assistance from your instructors and/or your rigger. Not saying you're not smart enough to handle the transaction yourself...not saying that at all. Just thinking that you may have valuable knowledge resources that you may not have used prior to purchase.

As for jumping a new canopy at a new DZ at 65 jumps...I'd go with what you're used to and save the experimentation for home and familiar territory.

Keep up the good attitude...it will serve you well throughout your skydiving career.
:)

Well, I haven't really actively asked for input at the DZ actually. To be honest, for certain reasons I'm a very introverted and socially shy person, so I'm a little reluctant to go up to very expierenced jumpers and ask for their advice. It's also the fact that the mayority of experienced jumpers at the DZ's I go to, jump small canopy's, so I think they would probably think jumping a 150 at my level would be fine, but I might be wrong there. That's why I'd rather ask something in here (forums) than actually talking to people. So I guess what I'm saying is, that if I asked for it, people would definately give me advise at the DZ, but I'd be carefull taking that advice because I think most of the jumpers there downsized fast themselves so going to the 150 might not be a problem at all from their point of view.
As for the new canopy, I already bought it a little more than a month or so ago, it's just now in the last 2 weeks or so that I started to realise that I probably should not be jumping it and should stay on bigger canopy's for a while.

Thanks for the reply
Eli :)