dzjmg

ROGER NELSON ON THE JIM ROME SHOW

Freaky - I miss Roger, I wish there was some way he could still be here. But honor his life by celebrating his memory and continue to do good things for the sport. That is the only way you can make a differance.

That's what Roger would have wanted. I've been quiet on all of these threads so far because the shock is too great to write a seemingly trivial response. The media coverage stinks. So do the e-mails from non-jumping friends saying - "you next?" with a link. The most important thing in my opinion is that we keep on educating, responding calmly, and spreading the love. There won't be another Roger - that doesn't mean his spirit can't continue in the Chicago, national, and worldwide jumping communities.

Matt

I think that's appropriate, but I'm at a loss as to what they could actually do based on what I read in the quoted material.

I'm just supplying the information. If they take no action I won't be offended. I have other things to worry about right now. This is nothing new really. Ok, it's not every day that we lose Roger Nelson to a skydiving accident. But the negative press has been there for years. In part, it's been encouraged by a skydiver. We've made it this far. We'll keep going.

Chris Schindler

I am not trying to behave badly - this is a matter of law. Jim Rome is slanderizing SDC.

Are you making fun of President Bush?

Never met Jim Rome or Roger Nelson, but all things considered, I would rather tell people I earned my living the way Roger did, not Jim. Jim and his ilk add little to society but short-lived passions in search of the almighty dollar. What a sad way of which to be thought.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

actually i already did. i spend alot of time driving and used to listen to him quite a bit..i sent him a relatively nicely worded email explaining that due to his blatantly false statements about Roger's school and SDC that no media platform in my presence will have his voice or image on it ever again, and that when i change the channel on someone elses radio/television i will certainly take the time to explain my reasons for doing so and encourage everyone i know who listens now or would consider advertising on his show not to continue to support such an ignorant ass

i realize it wont make a damn bit of difference but i'll turn a few ears away from him at least..

Once again Bill, I think you said it very well. What I can't understand is how many people there are that enjoy listening to these people. I just don't get how someone can fail to notice that this is the way they treat everything.

1 Take a fact (this step is optional)
2 Throw on opinion that distorts that fact to make someone look bad
3 Sensationalize it.
4 Rant
5 Refuse to listen to any alternative viewpoint.

And there are LOTS of people out there that think these guys are smart. Pity they don't teach critical thought as a required course in school.

Let's just call the companies that advertise on the stations that air this crap (even when it's not so close to home) and tell them we aren't buying and why.

...All I can say is nothing, I don't want to lock the thread>:(

i think everyone should be given a bye on this one until "mr" Rome decides to start posting here to apologize..>:(

Why don't someone just invite him out for a tandem? You can get a whole lot more out of a good review than just "Cussing" him out. Here is another thought, "What whould Roger do?"..... Send an invite and make it free, if he turns it down, he will miss something that only the few will ever know.
Airborne
Airborne
Blue Skies, No Wind
Feet and Knees Together

Perhaps a complaint to ESPN might have a better effect. They just recently gave Jim another shot at TV, albeit with a short leash. The last line of Rome's rant "Thoughts and prayers to the families of the first 13 fatalities" is really pretty damming. It's slapping the face of a grieving family while the body is still warm. There are lines even shock-jocks shouldn't cross and that is one of them. Taking a little heat when they're already extending themselves for him might be a good thing. Then again it might be just like others are saying and simply inflate his audience response numbers.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

>someone really should press charges . . .

If you feel strongly about him, ignore him. Anonymity is death to these people. If you want to support his show, send him more material and post his words for thousands to see. Sue him - you'll lose the case, but it will get a lot of airtime, and will gain him a few more listeners.

Bill has hit it directly on the head again. You do not get into radio unless you have a substantial ego (do you feel someone wants to listen to you everyday for four hours?) - and they thrive off of further media attention. Do you think they have altrustic intentions when they do the "buried alive" radio stunts? Did you know you will find competiting radio hosts having civil off-air conversations on how to stage a war between their shows to help drive up ratings? Howard Stern has even realized to stop giving attention to the new kid on the block making fun of him since that will only give them more media recognition. Mostly this happens because a radio station cannot afford advertising for every show - therefore you make your own noise, get attention and it is free. This includes negative press (you can't buy coverage like that is what I used to be told). Most talk show hosts get revenue sharing - as ratings get higher, commericals become more expensive to buy - the higher the ratings the bigger the bonus check (most talk show folk make union basic wages).

The only thing that will happen if this gets some steam behind it, is Rome's slanderous words will get national airtime and the facts will get lost in the hype.

I promise you, this is a waste of time to fight. I've seen it, been on the other end of it flooded with emails/calls, etc. They are banking on you to do so. Once when I was working for ESPN radio around the time when a sports figure had alegedly beat up his wife, the host of the program said something along the lines of "she must have deserved it" and went to commercial break. I asked him if he was nuts - his retort was "The hate mail for this one is gonna be great!"

When I was younger, my brother used to punch me in the arm repeatedly. Not because he was mad at me, not because he wanted to hurt me, just because he wanted to see me get pissed off. I quickly learned that getting aggravated and yelling or hitting back was exactly what he wanted. The more I responded, the more he did it. Soon I learned that by ignoring him, I'd beat him at his own game and he left me alone. I'd bet this Jim Rome person is alot like my brother used to be.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

Just ignore him, people. Getting yourselves riled up is what he wants. I bet the plan was to get a bunch of skydivers to respond so he can make fun of them on the air.

Vermin like this Rome character feed on the garbage that decent people throw away. Let him rot in his trash can. Hopefully the stink of the crap that he's eating will suffocate him.

There seems to be a lot of focus on the (arguably)bad things Roger did, like his drug conviction, as well as simple misreading of statistics. I wonder how bad we can make Jim Rome sound with enough research.

As a math enthusiast and student, I just have to go off on a small rant here. The "8 times the national average" line is such a load of illiterate bullshit it makes my head swim. There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics. The NATIONAL average is taken over the entire NATION, hence it includes many different things, like small Cessna DZs. SDC is not your average dropzone. The major bigways were at SDC. Big teams train at SDC. The fact is that there is a ton of hazards at SDC that are simply not present at other dropzones. We all heard how many jumps a year happen there, now tell me, what KIND of jumps are they? How many >10 ways happen a week? How many freefly big ways? How many freefly coaching jumps? How many visitors come to SDC? Could it be that the increased fatality rate at SDC is simply because it's the dropzone of an innovator? Because of the people that jump there? Because the jumps that happen there are INHERENTLY more risky, and not because of somebodys negligence?!

>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

I took a diferent approach. I was just now able to get a hold of his wife, Janet, email address and sent the following respose to her and his station manager.

Jim:

It is a shame that you carry so much negativity in your life that you cannot speak well of a person even in death. You must be so proud of yourself for the pain that you intentionally brought to the children, family and friends of Roger Nelson before he could even be buried. I pray that someone will not treat your wife, Janet and son, Jake this way when you pass. I hope that people will speak of the good in you and not beat your dead body further into the ground. I pray that someone does not come up to your son, Jake and tell him how you hurt so many people needlessly. What did you possibly think that you could gain by hurting so many people? As for the side of Roger that you failed to tell your listeners, I will. This was a man that was a loving father, Christian and friend. He had turned his life around and had given back 100 times the good will that the average person does. He was active in his community and would give the shirt off of his back to help you. You could not be around Roger and not smile, for he sought to bring out the best in you.

This is my first public comment on this subject...most likely my last. Bo is correct, so is DiverDriver....the comments made by Jim Rome are on their way to the next Galaxy...let them go. (BTW, WLS & Garry Meier handled the subject briefly and, in MHO, relatively well. Still repeated the lies, but they could have been more rough and tumble) You can't change what most people believe already. We're crazy....etc...If you want to reply to his e-mail, do so, but PLEASE be civil and professional. His staff will read them and maybe they'll make the air. most likely not. WWRD? ....offer Jim a Tandem. Give him a great video to show on his little TV Show and smile as he headed down the road.
Rome doesn't have the balls, so it's a moot point.
This sport has a long way to go in the minds of the whuffos...it will take every one of us and our efforts to change it one person at a time. I had the distinct pleasure of having Roger on my radio talk show for 2 and a half hours back in '98. talkin' record attempts, the sport, life, etc. Pissed off my bosses no end. The listeners loved it. So did Roger. (BTW Bo...I ALWAYS crushed Rome in the numbers.LOL). This loss has many people walkin' into walls. An unimaginable loss for the SDC family. But, life will go on. Rook and Missy need time to grieve and consider the future. The rest of us? If you knew Roger consider yourself lucky to have known him. If you've only heard of him, talk to somebody who knew him and have them tell ya' a story or two. If you can, come to the service next Monday. Better yet, come jump with us and enjoy the greatest Memorial to Roger's life...Skydive Chicago.
My best to you all, my fellow skydivers, Worldwide.

RadioDave B|

I need some quick feedback on if I should send this to our local Rome affiliate.

I was deeply saddened by Jim Rome's treatment of the Roger Nelson tragedy in today's broadcast. Mr. Nelson is an icon in the skydiving community and Mr. Rome attacked his memory with statements that were incomplete, misrepresented, or just false. Mr. Rome continuously implied that Skydive Chicago had a high student fatality rate. This is wrong. That dropzone is one of the busiest in the world and has had many tragic occurrences. These involved experienced skydivers pushing the limits of their abilities. This is no reflection of Mr. Nelson's business. If you must, indict the drive of those of us who dare to taste flight. Skydivers are adults, we know the chance we take and minimize the risk as best we can through proper training and equipment. Roger Nelson was one of the pioneers of this training. I never had the honor of meeting Mr. Nelson but what he brought to the sport of skydiving enhances my safety and enjoyment every time I climb out of an aircraft.
I have enjoyed your station. I will still look forward to a portion of your programming but I must make you aware that every time I hear Mr. Rome be it his segment or a promo, I will change stations immediately and carefully explain to every one that is with me why. Every time that I'm patronizing one of your sponsors I will make them aware of my disappointment in certain tasteless segments of your broadcast day. I doubt very seriously that I will damage your business or that of your sponsors but I hope that you must accept some form of accountability for what you choose to put on the air. I appreciate the fact that you supply a forum for me to express my views. Thank you
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

invite him out for a tandem

It'd be hard to do in the extremely near future, but this is by far the best idea yet. Make sure he has a really good time, and talks to some real people, too.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Why would it be hard? Come on skydivers, ten bucks from each one of you and we've got the sucker. Find a big DZ near him and send him an invite. Put it on every website that will agree (shouldn't be a problem). Just make sure the rigger and instructor don't know who's jumping, or else they might set up a passenger cutaway on that rig.

I'm in on one condition: if he does it I want the video.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.