dzjmg

ROGER NELSON ON THE JIM ROME SHOW

Great point. Roger was all smiles; he took the safety aspects of the business very serious.
He was my AFP teacher, as well as one of my instructors. Ya know I had a friend call me after my class and he asked me who the instructor I told him it was Roger, he was like Tim, do you know who he is? I said yep, he was Roger Nelson, he was like dude he is the KING of Skydiving, you are learning from the best of the best.

Over the years Roger and I became very good friends. Roger is looking down smiling about all this talk over him. Here is a picture of us.

brucetimroger.JPG

I hear ya Bo. My mom told me on Sunday night (when I called her for some comfort) that she, my brother and sister think I'm crazy.

Hey Betsy, as i already told Bo in IM, my mom called me yesterday. Apparently news of Roger went nationwide. My mom lives in Arkansas. Anyhoo she called me and still thinks i'm nuts for continuing to jump. Those of us at SDC know Roger was big on safety. We'll never get closed minded people to realize that.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

"Any angry outburst against this station or host will further his misconceptions about the sport and those in it - and those that loved Roger. Remember, Spread the Love, not hate."

I personally know of two other people who sent him an email. They were not angry outburst emails. They were well thought out and very concise.

Hey, If you all don't have a problem with legitamate slander and misrepresentation in a public media forum, good for you. WAY TO STICK UP FOR ROGER.

I stick up for Roger here. Where it matters. In OUR community. If there is slander and the family wants to go after this guy I will support them. But, that fight will come later. We still have to take care of Roger this week. There is no hurry in responding to this radio character. Time is on our side. Not his. Sending letters now (if they are inflamatory) will fuel him. From the sounds of it, many have been well thought out letters and I thank people for them. I see many who are not from SDC sticking up for Roger. I appreciate that so much. We have all been kicked hard in the chest and maybe sending something to this Rome guy will come out twisted. Having you all to support us now is probably the best thing for us. I again appreciate your support.

Chris Schindler

I think you missed my point.

SDC is my home. I've been there for five years now, and because of Roger I am part of that family. I think what Roger did over his years in the sport stands alone without any need of explaination or justification - he did more for the sport than anyone I have ever met. The sport will forever suffer without him in it, the family has suffered a major loss. I wish there was a way to let the rest of the world understand just what he meant to us, and that the press would finally get something right.

However, that won't ever happen. Talk radio is not a fair and equal public forum. The tables are in the favor of the person behind the microphone - I know this because I did it first hand for six years. It is very easy to manipulate ANYTHING that comes into your lap. If you called into the show I was producing and I needed something to generate some attention - I could tape your phone call, edit it and make you sound like the biggest ass in the world only to prove the point the host was saying - and you can do it pretty fast now with all the digital editing tools out there. It really is a losing battle - and you should always choose your battles wisely.

Roger used to talk to the press once upon a time - he stopped once he realized they always took his quote out of context, never did him justice on what he said, and would eventually use his words to do damage to the sport. The last time he did anything major with the press was during the 1998 300-way attempt - which was an ongoing documentary that was aired on WGN-TV - which was hosted and guided by a jumper that worked for the station. The program was fair and handled the stuggle of the 300-way as well as the death of Sandy in a very fair and honest nature. If Jackie and Roger were not the guiding forces behind that, I doubt it would have been so true. (btw - that program won an emmy).

Freaky - I miss Roger, I wish there was some way he could still be here. But honor his life by celebrating his memory and continue to do good things for the sport. That is the only way you can make a differance.

Even those closest to me that know what this sport means to me hope that I will be quitting soon.

I hear ya Bo. My mom told me on Sunday night (when I called her for some comfort) that she, my brother and sister think I'm crazy. Then she called Monday morning to apologize for that, saying that actually, my brother and sister never said that... Gee thanks Mom, I feel so much better now.

People who listen to that kind of talk radio listen to it just to hear that kind of thing, an I doubt most people take it seriously. Somebody who actually uses that crap to form their opinions probably shouldn't be Skydiving anyway, IMO.

Sorry to hear that Betz - hard to get comfort when someone isn't accepting of your life.

I just ask my family/friends - do you want me to be happy? Then please, let me live my life the way i see fit - I would never tell you how to live your life. Please respect and honor my decisions - skydiving makes me happy and I have a passion that I don't expect you to understand, but hope you will accept it. Either way, I will continue to do what makes me the most happy in life.

Hey Bo,

If it were not for Roger and SDC i would of never met you. Think about it, Roger is with all of us, in our hearts, dreams and spirits. Roger will always be with all of his friends, just look up to the heavens, did ya see that, that was Roger.

I just got back into the office and i heard the segment on Rome's show. I wrote him an e-mail very similar to the one above just pointing out the other attributes of the great man that he obviously knew nothing about. I also informed him that he lived close to two large dropzones and that he should bring the family out for an afternoon and see what this sport is all about, Jake would love it. (his son)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Just for the record, I didn't send a letter to Rome. If I did, it wouldn't be an angry rant. I figured this was my place for that.

I'm all for fighting people with the facts in the most intelligent and articulate manner. But what upset me is that we roll over too much. I would love to see a concerted (sp) effort to spread a positive message about this sport.

Sometimes I'm a bit trigger happy. Thats just from working in politics I guess.
Jay

"I stick up for Roger here. Where it matters. In OUR community. If there is slander and the family wants to go after this guy I will support them. But, that fight will come later. We still have to take care of Roger this week. There is no hurry in responding to this radio character. Time is on our side. Not his. Sending letters now (if they are inflamatory) will fuel him. From the sounds of it, many have been well thought out letters and I thank people for them. I see many who are not from SDC sticking up for Roger. I appreciate that so much. We have all been kicked hard in the chest and maybe sending something to this Rome guy will come out twisted. Having you all to support us now is probably the best thing for us. I again appreciate your support.

Chris Schindler

Once again, well said Chris.

Peace! You Rock!

I found this on the JimRome.com Website. I'm assuming that this is what his diatribe was on the radio and suggest that USPA or someone in an official (i.e. attorney) reply if anyone. Anything else will just add fuel to the fire IMHO.

Roger Nelson ran (and I stress) ran a skydiving school in Illinois. I say this in the past-tense because dead people don’t usually run businesses. Roger is dead because of yes, skydiving. He died in an accident at his own school.

Nelson’s school was under attack because he had a fatality rate 8 times higher than of other schools.

Like that isn’t a problem!

Isn’t that the first question you ask when you visit a skydiving school?

“Excuse me, but how often do you kill people here?” or “How many people do you guys kill in comparison to the other facilities?”

You’d think that after awhile, that number would shrink because after the word gets out that you’re killing people 8 times more often than the competition, you would have fewer customers to kill.

I’m guessing the competition was all over that in their advertisements.

“We don’t kill people as often as they do. You’re 8 times less likely to get killed here than with Roger Nelson”.

That’s good.

Think about it, if a dentist of doctor sucks, the word gets out pretty fast and he’s done with his practice. You would think that the same applies for skydiving schools, but somehow Roger was still in business up until recently.

And how about Nelson getting killed at his own school? Hey, if this guy couldn’t teach you how to keep yourself from getting killed, odds are he couldn’t keep himself from getting killed either. Makes sense to me.

Nelson’s death was the 14th fatality since the school opened in 1993. That’s better than 1 death a year. How about that for consistency?!

The first one, I get. Accidents happen and you are jumping out of an airplane. There are some inherent risks. Two…maybe. But after the third death, don’t people stop coming altogether? I mean, why pay money to kill yourself? There are easier ways.

So actually, I don’t blame Nelson’s school for death’s 4-13. That’s on them. The pattern was already in place. If you’re reckless enough to go to a skydiving school which is notorious for killing people, then I think you’re asking for it.

But wait, this gets worse…

Nelson was the captain of the U.S. skydiving team in 1982.

Captain? So this guy was supposed to be ‘good’ at one time? So he was supposedly the best of the best in ’82? What, did the other members of that team kill 14 people and he only killed 13? What exactly made him worthy of being ‘captain’?

If that doesn’t make his resume just about perfect, this will. He was sentenced to 10 years for drug smuggling.

Safe to say that Ol’ Roger was quite the entrepreneur.

Thoughts and prayers to the families of the first 13 fatalities.

I have forwarded this to USPA and maybe they will take some action to contact the show. I think it does effect more than just SDC in the Chicago market.

*Smacks Head* Why didn't I think of that?

I thought you did. I just didn't see where you said that you had ACTUALLY sent it to USPA.

someone really should press charges, there are so many outright lies and distortions in that drivel there has got to be a lawsuit available..if nothing else make the arrogant twit retract his statement publicly ON AIR, explaining exactly how little research they do, before spouting such ignorant opinions.

Never gonna happen my friend -- never gonna happen.

It's far, far better to simply let it go away.

Proving any sort of slander (not liable in this particular case), would be extremely difficult.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>someone really should press charges . . .

It happens every day. It happens on the Rush Limbaugh show, it happens on the Howard Stern show, it happens on any talk show where people want ratings. Pressing charges will get them more ratings, and they will captivate their audiences with stories about how suicidal skydivers are suing him. I'm sure there's a bunch of funny-to-whuffos jokes in there although I can't think of them right now, because I'm too pissed off at Rome.

If you feel strongly about him, ignore him. Anonymity is death to these people. If you want to support his show, send him more material and post his words for thousands to see. Sue him - you'll lose the case, but it will get a lot of airtime, and will gain him a few more listeners.

I have forwarded this to USPA and maybe they will take some action to contact the show. I think it does effect more than just SDC in the Chicago market.

I think that's appropriate, but I'm at a loss as to what they could actually do based on what I read in the quoted material.

Basically, we all just got punched in the face with a dose of "reality" from a whuffo radio talk show host. Trust me, people will be jumping out of airplanes long after Rome is food for worms.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver