dixieskydiver

Fake wingsuit video?

I think its real, my old instructor thinks its fake. At our DZ we always wanted to fake a "wingsuit landing" video to see if we people were dumb enough to try it. Only jokingly of course, we would never endanger other skydivers on purpose.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

I'm sure it's real, I have no doubt just look at the other videos of Loic and you will see it's not the first time he play low near the ground! Even in crosswind there is some incredible shot of him! B|

--
Renaud SMA #9
"Mind is like parachute. It only functions when it's open."

So very sorry, didn't read down to the other thread about this. My skydiving roommate just showed me the video when I walked in the apt, and then I hopped right on and posted it. :$

Dixie

Real. Envelope pushed a couple feet on that one.....Is this thread going to get locked????? why? if so, I gots mines

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

It would certainly be possible to have faked the footage -- especially when you consider the medium in which it's mostly being shown and how "good" the overall resolution is. Even the POV camera could have been faked by taking the shots from a fully inflated canopy ride and speeding them up. It just wouldn't be that difficult at all.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I've got dialup, so I haven't seen the video. However, I can tell anyone an easy way to fake such a video. Most video guys have had this happen before.

When shooting 4-way video, our camera guy zoomed out his lense. At 6000 ft, it looked like we were going below the treeline in freefall.

In James Bond "Living Daylights" (I think), Bond opens his canopy at 100 ft above the water, or so it appears. The background is brought way in. I think it was B.J.Worth who did the scene. It looked like Bond was impossibly low.

Try it at your own dz. Have someone in a birdman suit video you in yours. Zoom out the lens. See what effect it has.

The effect you're describing is basically the same one that Joe Jennings gets from his Gyron camera for the wingsuit jumps in "Good Stuff" -- although he gets it much better than any camera flyer could ever hope to in freefall.

However, that's not what's being shown in this particular piece. You really have to see it to believe it. If anything, the POV camera lens is too wide and doesn't show how freekin' low the wingsuit flyer really is. The real tip off though is to watch the people waving "Hi" as he goes by them - so, you absolutely know he's pretty damn low, but like I said before, there are ways around that in terms of making a "fake" video similar to this if you wanted to.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It would certainly be possible to have faked the footage -- especially when you consider the medium in which it's mostly being shown and how "good" the overall resolution is. Even the POV camera could have been faked by taking the shots from a fully inflated canopy ride and speeding them up. It just wouldn't be that difficult at all.

Actually I was thinking the pov could've been faked with the helicopter that was shown in the last shot. wouldn't even have to speed it up and the pov sound is unusual...almost mechanical.

blues
josh

Actually I was thinking the pov could've been faked with the helicopter that was shown in the last shot. wouldn't even have to speed it up and the pov sound is unusual...almost mechanical.

blues
josh

I noticed that sound too. I thought it was added in for effect.

Dixie

I reckon its real, when the other sould flyiers video came out they were talking about this clip.
(see it sometomes pays to pay attention to the French:P).
Its all sponsored by Salomon, and I think its real.
Watch the POV section, and tell me again why anyone thinks its fake......
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

How ridiculous. Why on earth would a well known skydiver and wingsuit flyer like Loic want to fake something and lose all further credibility with the rest of the skydiving community? Pointless thread.

"Into the dangerous world I leapt..." William Blake, Songs of Experience