Phlyhigh

Where it all started?

Hey guyz, i was just curious as to what method of progression you whent trought Was it tandem S/l or IAD. I did three IAD and then went on to PFF (AFF). I notice that the trend now leans toward Tandem and then PFF , what do you think About it? Is it better?

Unless you are not sure, tandem is a waste of jump money - AFF it!

I strongly disagree. With a proper ISP program, the 2-3 tandems you do that are training tandems will teach you more about canopy control and relaxing in the air then any AFF ground course could. It is definately the way to go now-a-days.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I can't help but agree w/ AggieDave. Skydiving
isn't for everyone and doing the tandem is the best
way to go to really get a good feel if this is the
sport for you. I did two tandems, one to get over
the big anxiety, and the second to really relax and
enjoy it. It was the right way for me. Then I went
to AFF and whizzed right through.

-sinker

-the artist formerly known as sinker

I did two tandems, one to get over
the big anxiety, and the second to really relax and
enjoy it. It was the right way for me. Then I went
to AFF and whizzed right through.

Yep,me too.I did two tandems then aff.The second tandem was because I just could not remember shit from the first one.
I did my second tandem with Brett Martin,I saw his face in "Mug Shots" and I guess he used to post here,No idea where hes at these days.
I remember him in his skull and crossbones shirt and crazy ass hair asking if I wanted to jump or JUMP.That was my introduction to the skies.

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I did 6 s/l jumps and was doing 40-50 second freefalls by jump 20 or so. Had the option been available, I might have done aff, but I think I learned fast and well enough even though I was doing s/l. The question of whether skydiving was the sport for me never arose- I knew it was long before I made my first jump;).

9 round static-lines
40 round freefalls

...and because of the weather STILL waiting for the first freefall ram-air jump, I passed the "jump" exam
(exit @ 2500m, stable fall, imitation of opening [by throwing away and old plastic bag], backloop, 180 left, 180 right, stable opening) I passed the written
etc. etc. etc. but I'll have to wait for some more weeks But then...

If I could start again I would follow the same path.
AFF is expensive and might give a false feeling of experience.

Square S/L - suicide
With my little experience I have seen ram-air s/l students:
-as we call counting the pop-rivets on the plane after
"superb" exit

-missjudging wind direction (when at least 10 others landing in the good direction)

-missing a huge ex-military airfield, thus landing near to a high voltage transformer with a canopy that super-controllable, super-speed compared to rounds

-opening at 300m because he was doing 180 turns from exit AND he said that "You can not open in turns")

What I would like is to jump with an instructor after having 10-15 ram-air jumps, kinda like AFF but leaving out the too basic stuff (if I find a sponsor ;) see signiture).

TOO LONG I KNOW, SORRY I WAS BORED DOING MY WORK

OVER

Static Line in New England in the late fall. I did about 12 S/L jumps because the weather made me noncurrent for a few months a couple of times.

Why not AFF? Because there was no AFF back then. No Tandems, no cypress', no BOC,... Did I mention it was a few years ago?
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

8 IAD's, then started PFF. I did that many IAD's because I started late int he season and knew I couldn't get PFF in before winter, so kept jumping and waited for spring.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

1 tandem just to find out what all the excitement was about, then went on to S/L mostly because it was more jumps for the buck. I think the biggest advantage to S/L is that you get more canopy experience early on. I finished the program in about 20 or so jumps, and was ready for my A shortly thereafter.

Easy Does It

2 tandems just cause i wanted to. Then i started S/L training a week after my second tandem. Got into the delayed freefall of the S/L program, struggled quite a bit so i switched over to AFP.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I first went for a tandem...then decided to do my TAF...which is what Aggie said, 3 tandems then I progressed to my solo's. I personally found it brilliant, My JM was there with me the entire way, I learnt canopy control and was able to find the target alot easier with my JM right there with me. I still have stages 8 & 9 to go!!! I should have them done by the end of July....once I save my $$ again.

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

IAD for me...

PFF was too expensive at the time. Though I probably did more jumps to acheive the same things a PFF student would have in less jumps and time the outlay of cash was more gradual.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

i didi one tandem then wanted to do AFF. I decided to do a 2nd tandem b/c my brother came to to fla to do a tandem. I didnt wanna be in class when he was going up! i wanted to be in the same plane.

3 months later I saved enough to go thru my AFF...
My photos

My Videos

AFF. Reason I didn't want a tandem, which obviously was cheaper, is that I never really doubted whether I want to skydive "for real" or not. Besides, with AFF you pretty much get the whole experience at once, unlike other programs.