Jessica

Grad school?

Not like I'm not busy enough, but I've been thinking lately about going to grad school.

If I play it right, my employer would pay for most of it. There are two excellent private Catholic universities in the city that they have a deal with.

Everyone needs a degree in English lit or rhetoric, right?

Is this a good idea? I'm getting antsy and I'm ready to start learning again. It would be mainly for my own fulfillment, and not really aimed at furthering my career.

Working full-time, I expect this would take more than four years. That's a long time.

Hell, I don't even know if I could get past the GRE. I can barely add.
Skydiving is for cool people only

always good to go back to school (did i say that ??)
but its very important that you pick a subject you really like.

If I play it right, my employer would pay for most of it

that will make it a LOT easier

anyway, why not go all the way and get a Ph.D?

O
"Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero."

change the english to american and you'd be alright.

Huh?

English, as in, written in the English language.

Well, Jessica, you stated in your first post "English lit or Rhetoric". Maybe this soul is telling you to switch to American Lit.

Myself, I would love to have a PhD in English Lit. Not that it would be of any use, but I just would enjoy going back to school for that; now if the Lottery Commission would just do their job right...

If your job will pay for it, I say go on with your bad self and grab it!

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

school is the chit. if i was smart and didnt have a job i loved so much i would go back to school. even if it is for your own pleasure or knowledge heck yeah do it.
***It would be mainly for my own fulfillment, and not really aimed at furthering my career.

You never know you might even use some or all that you learn. I wish i wouldnt have skipped math all the time i did now i am a dumba$$ when it comes to math. oh well i have a trusty ol calculator at my side

It took me three years to get through grad school. I went for my MBA and have been seriously thinking about going back for my master's in English. English was my major in undergrad and I loved it. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do. If it's something that you truly want in the end all of the time will be worth it.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

Well I have a job that will pay for my education and my boss is pretty cool (normally it HAS to be job related or your bos has to approve it), mine isn't necessarily job related but it could impress some customers when they come in from other countries. By the time I'm done I should have a minor in a foreign language (now I just have to pick my major).... Eeekk!!!! I'm already started in my courses and they pay for me to be gone during work hours. So GRAB THAT OPPORTUNITY. Even if they only pay for so many courses per semester, it is better than covering 100% of it on your own right?

Good luck!!!!

take the time to appreciate the people around you.

jess go for it... i've been thinking about starting to take some classes through embry riddle trying to get my bs... and even though i have 88 sem. credits i'm gona have a long time taking a class or two per semester... but in the end it's worth it...... you get edumicated and you don't have to pay for it.......

I was working over 60 hours a week and went to SMU grad school full time at night. It was tough but well worth it. I'z a snart girl, now.
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

having nearly 3 degrees, and working at something that does not involve much of any of them...ask yourself if you will use, or enjoy, the knowledge. knowledge is power, but i know alot of grad students that got the degree just because they could not find a real job.

but i know alot of grad students that got the degree just because they could not find a real job

I have a real job...I'd have to do this on top of working full-time.

I'm calling the HR guy today. I want to get into an interdisciplinary master's program that'll be a communications/English hybrid.
Skydiving is for cool people only

Jess:

I have a doctorate degree. I considered getting a joint J.D./MBA degree until my first year of graduate school, wherein I decided "Fuck this and get it over with. Stick to the JD"

One of the best decisions I ever made was to go to grad school. I cannot say for sure I'll ever go through that again. But, if I had to do it over, I sure as hell would.

I'd recommend it. Go for it!!!!

My wife is hotter than your wife.