PhillyKev

We must liberate the oppressed citizens of Uzbekistan!!!

That evil dictator Karimov must be stopped!!!

Independent human rights groups estimate that there are more than 600 politically motivated arrests a year in Uzbekistan, and 6,500 political prisoners, some tortured to death. According to a forensic report commissioned by the British embassy, in August two prisoners were even boiled to death.

The bodies of Muzafar Avazov, a 35-year-old father of four, and Khusniddin Alimov, aged 34, were brought from Jaslyk prison in the Northern Karaklapakstan region to their families in Tashkent on 8 August. Muzafar Avazov was reportedly tortured to death; an eyewitness said the body showed signs of burns on the legs, buttocks, lower back and arms. Reportedly, there was a large wound on the back of the head, bruises on the forehead, and the hands had no fingernails. The authorities reportedly restricted viewing of Khusniddin Alimov's body.

The EU drew attention on 5 September to the violent deaths in Jaslyk prison of two prisoners, Mr. Muzaffar Avazov and Mr Khusniddin Alimov, allegedly as a result of torture, and recalled the obligations of Uzbekistan in accordance with the UN Convention against Torture, to which it is a party. The EU has been alarmed to receive reports that a third prisoner, Numan Zafarov, may have died in the same incident as Avazov and Alimov.

The five members of Hizb-ut-Tahrir were reportedly tortured in order to force them to "confess". The methods included near-suffocation with a plastic bag, being hung upside down, having needles stuck under finger- and toe-nails, having their hands and feet burned and having electric shocks administered via a device fitted to the head ("electric cap").

A senior U-N official visiting the Central Asian country of Uzbekistan has accused the Uzbek government of widespread torture. V-O-A's Rebecca Santana has more from Moscow.

TEXT: The top United Nations official on torture, Theo van Boven, said Friday during a trip to Uzbekistan that the government regularly uses torture against political opponents.

Mr. Van Boven is wrapping up a two-week visit to Uzbekistan during which he talked with dozens of people who said they had been tortured by the police or the secret services.

During a press conference Friday, Mr. Van Boven said torture is "not just incidental but has a nature of being systemic in this country."

Ok, so maybe we shouldn't stop him. Maybe we should just give him $43 million dollars.

Or ask Rumsfeld to have a nice chat with him.

Or invite him to Washington for a nice visit with the pres.

Oh, I'm sorry, did I take this out of the proper time line? I mean, a lot can change over the course of a couple months.

karimov-bush-ap02.jpg

:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shit, its been nearly 60 years since we've got to use one of our nukes...couldn't we just go blow something up?

Texas?

Just what we need, more genetic mutations in Texas.

Right.
Um, New Jersey, you know with all the land fill problems (Newark) and those clean rivers y'all have up there.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I thought they were our allies in the war on terror, part of the coalition of the willing. That means that the government of Uzbekistan is at war with terror, and the people they deprive of their rights are illegal combatants with no normal civil rights.

Torture? Why, I'm sure the terrorists they are interrogating are exaggerating. And if they do injure a few, well, they're not really people anyway. They're terrorists. Who are you going to believe anyway, the terrorists or the rightful government of Uzbekistan?

I thought they were our allies in the war on terror, part of the coalition of the willing. That means that the government of Uzbekistan is at war with terror, and the people they deprive of their rights are illegal combatants with no normal civil rights.

Torture? Why, I'm sure the terrorists they are interrogating are exaggerating. And if they do injure a few, well, they're not really people anyway. They're terrorists. Who are you going to believe anyway, the terrorists or the rightful government of Uzbekistan?

Bill, you're right. I was taking it out of context and manipulating the time line. Must have gotten confused by the US Dept. of State website.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2924.htm

Islam Karimov, former First Secretary of the Communist Party, was elected president in December 1991 with 88% of the vote; however, the election was not viewed as free or fair by foreign observers.

Constitutionally, the Government of Uzbekistan provides for separation of powers, freedom of speech, and representative government. In reality, the executive holds almost all power. The judiciary lacks independence and the legislature, which meets only a few days each year, has little power to shape laws. The president selects and replaces provincial governors. Under terms of a December 1995 referendum, Karimov's first term was extended. Another national referendum was held January 27, 2002 to yet again extend Karimov's term. The referendum passed and Karimov's term was extended by act of the parliament to December 2007. Most international observers refused to participate in the process and did not recognize the results, dismissing them as not meeting basic standards.

Uzbekistan is not a democracy and does not have a free press. Many opponents of the government have fled, and others have been arrested. The government severely represses those it suspects of Islamic extremism. Some 6,000 suspected extremists are incarcerated, and some are believed to have died over the past several years from prison disease and abuse.

The police force and the intelligence service use torture as a routine investigation technique.

But on the same page:

The United States has consulted closely with Uzbekistan on regional security problems, and Uzbekistan has been a close ally of the United States at the United Nations. Uzbekistan has been a strong partner of the United States on foreign policy and security issues ranging from Iraq to Cuba, nuclear proliferation to narcotics trafficking. It has sought active participation in Western security initiatives under the Partnership for Peace, OSCE, and the Euro-Atlantic Partnership Council. Uzbekistan views its American ties as balancing regional influences, helping Uzbekistan assert its own regional role, and encouraging foreign investment. Uzbekistan is an ardent supporter of U.S. military actions in Afghanistan and Iraq and of the war against terror overall.

The United States, in turn, values Uzbekistan as a stable, moderate force in a turbulent region; a producer of important resources--gold, uranium, natural gas; and a potential regional hub for pipelines, transportation, communications, and other infrastructure.

:S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S

I DO NOT LIVE IN NEW JERSEY.

I just happen to jump there, and then they make you pay to escape the state!!

Hey, maybe we should liberate NJ???

Yo!...don't mess with NJ ok???!!! >:(>:( :P

Lets go.... Lets form a coalition.

Andorra, Cameroun and Lichestein... line up your braves.

Amazon, bring your Magnum. Its gonna be a real party. 300 yard running head shots on real creeps.

Retired generals be prepared to act on CNN's call to duty.

Interesting article. Uzbekistan is an interesting country. I'd heard a bit about political prisoners/torture there but not to this extent. Ugh.

We've supported worse regimes during the cold war. Can't really think of a good reason to give them US$43 million, however.

[:/]
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Amazon, bring your Magnum. Its gonna be a real party. 300 yard running head shots on real creeps.

Your Inadequacies are showing again ...Whiskey

Contrary to what you think I have no desire to ever shoot anyone. IF and only IF my life or the life of my child was threatened.. then I might resort to deadly force... and even then I would have to live with the consequences of those actions.

But then again.. I could take the shot and make it.... obviously you couldn't>:(

Amazon