KawiZX900

87 year old man plows through a farmers market in

said he pushed the wrong pedal by accident... and wasn't able to correct his mistake before taking out 10 fruit stalls and 50 people

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

goes to support my argument that there should be drivers' re-examinations every 4 or 5 years. and the examinations should be more than the rubber stamp they are these days. imagine the carnage that could be prevented if driving was actually a privelege and not a right as it stands today. [unsure]
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Our family has been trying to get my 90 year old father in law off the streets for several years now. Do you think we get any help from the State? Hell no! The old man's got diabetes so bad he can't feel his feet. He won't wear his seat belt OR his glasses. He's had 4 accidents in the past 6 months (no one hurt in any of them, thank God). On the last one he hit the gas instead of the brake (gas peddle stuck according to him) and plowed backwards about 100 yards through a parking lot wrecking two other cars, a small tree and shortening his car by about 2 feet after he hit a building. The cop on scene and I conspired to get his license from him. For some reason the police can't take someone's license, but this cop told my FIL to give his license to me. Damned if that old fart didn't find his way to DMV and get a replacement! We've even tried to get his insurance company to cancel him, but they won't. And now, with 4 wrecked cars sitting in his yard, he just bought a $350 special and will get behind the wheel again as soon as he can. Numerous calls to DMV, Police, Insurance, Senior Services, etc., etc. and no one seems to care about getting this time bomb off the road.

Brisco

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

goes to support my argument that there should be drivers' re-examinations every 4 or 5 years. and the examinations should be more than the rubber stamp they are these days. imagine the carnage that could be prevented if driving was actually a privelege and not a right as it stands today. [unsure]

I have an idea..after a certain age and one is involved in a accident like this..they should restrict
their license to motorcycles or mopeds only.
However there is I noticed in my insurance agency DMV does offer a lower rate for seniors taking a driver improvement course.

never happen. Senior adults are WAY to large a voting block to actually make them prove they have the skills to operate a motor vehicle on a semi regular basis..

its a HUGE problem is AZ, but they fixed it there by changing the expiration dates on DL so you never have to see the DMV again.. (mine expires in 2036):S

of course it would help if the US had a good reliable public transportations system, but with the oil and auto companies pushing 2.5 SUVs per person, that will never happen either...

"they should restrict
their license to motorcycles or mopeds only"

Yah cuz a motorcycle doesn't require any more attention than a car.

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle? You need to be WAY more aware to keep your ass safe on one compared to a car.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Great point Zen - last few times I've been home to Illinois it just blows me away at how many SUVs there are on the road. Me, I use mine here in Colorado, and its a Jepp GC not a SUV IMHO... But wtf do you need a huge ass SUV for in Illinois of all places? Must be tons of offroading experiences to be had ;)

I'm all for the public transportation!

I see the point and it has been taken.

Duh on my part!!

I still stand fast though, no fing way I want to see my 85 year old grandma or even my non-paying attention dad on a motorcycle. Speaking of which, his dumb ass who's never ridden a bike before just bought a huge ass honda vstar 1100. I'm already preparing for the funeral.

First, let me say that I'm very sorry to hear that. CNN was saying 8 deaths yesterday. Looks like someone else died. My condolences to all the families, even if none of them actually read this.

Second, this is what happens when people as a whole take cars for granted. A couple of tons of steel and plastic moving very quickly is NOT SAFE! But we are used to it, so we don't bother. Besides, it's convenient to drive, and the majority drives, so no politician in his right mind would go anywhere near this percieved "unalienable right".

It's way too easy to get a driver's license in Canada. Any 16 year old idiot can get a license here. Then they drive like maniacs, drive drunk, race, and kill people. I've been almost killed by a teenage driver three times that I remember, and I do mean almost killed. I mean that if I had slammed on the breaks half a second later or had jumped away half a second later, I would have been crippled or killed. One of those times I even posted about on the forums. I watched a fatal accident on the 401 in which someone died. Sideseat passenger wasn't wearing a seatbelt, the driver slammed on the breaks... Driving is not a game, cars are not toys. Why are they treated like toys?

I agree with requiring the elderly to take tests. Difficult tests. I'm guessing that there is only one in ten or so 70 year olds that has the motor and psychomotor skills to drive. Therefore, there should only be one in ten 70 year olds that can drive.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Have you ever ridden a motorcycle? You need to be WAY more aware to keep your ass safe on one compared to a car.

Yah..I have alot.
Yah..the other two post, understood my silly intent in the idea..
NO MORE CARS after an accident like that..

Santa Monica and kills 9 wounds 40 with his Buick Lesabre

We must ban Buicks , and ban them now . It does not matter that it was a le sabre , all that matters is that it was a buick , therefore all buicks are evil and must be banned .This is a senseless act of vehicular violence and it must be stopped now . :P

I was driving yesterday and as I was coming up to an intersection a car pulled out maybe 50 feet in front of me. Luckily there were no cars in the other lane so I could swerve out to avoid the car as I slammed my brakes. When I looked at the other car there was a 70ish year old woman driving with her head completely below the steering wheel looking as though nothing had happened - I doubt she even knew I was there even after I swerved and honked at her, doubt she could see anything either.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I agree with requiring the elderly to take tests. Difficult tests. I'm guessing that there is only one in ten or so 70 year olds that has the motor and psychomotor skills to drive. Therefore, there should only be one in ten 70 year olds that can drive.

I'm on the same sheet of music with ya there. ANNUAL tests - not this every 4 or 5 year crap. Too much can happen even in a year, let alone a longer period of time. That was the case with my father-in-law when he renewed his license about a year ago (we tried to get DMV not to renew him - no help from them of course) and they renewed the license of this then 89 year old man for 5 freakin' years!!!

Now my dad is 77 years old, and there is no doubt in my mind that he would pass even the strictest of driving tests with flying colors. He is in excellent health and as all his wits about him and I feel totally comfortable riding with him. Well, maybe not TOTALLY comfortable - he does have a bit of a lead foot;)

Something needs to be done to get some of these older folks off the road, but the AARP is a pretty powerful lobby at both the state and federal level, so I doubt anything will be done anytime soon. It's going to take a lot more than 9 people getting killed. Maybe once one of these old-timers plows into a day-care center and kills a few children. Sad to think that is what it will probably take.

Brisco

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Yeah, an elderly women almost pulled her car into the passenger side of my truck.

I was in the left lane on a 3-lane city road (not highway, speed limit is 40, which we were doing). She, sans blinker, started to change lans to the left. Mind you, at that angle, its nearly impossible to miss my truck in your sight. The entire front half of my truck was infront of her bumper (in reference to her field of vision). Only after I had slammed on the brakes and laid on my horn (its a very loud air horn btw) did she notice me. When I say she noticed me, I mean she didn't see me until I had been on my horn for nearly 3 seconds AND had slowed enough that my front bumper had already slowed past her rear bumper.

What did she do? She flipped me off and pulled into my lane anyways!

(ok, how did I know her blinker wasn't on? I happen to have been looking out my passenger side mirror AND it still wasn't on after I slowed past her and she pulled into my lane).

Aggghhh!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."