SkySlut

Fox's Stupid Behavior...

Did anyone just watch that show on FOX??? Fist clip was an AFF level 1 who pulled his cutaway handle instead of his main. The ms JM pulled his handle and the reserve side JM split. The student pulled his reserve and then landed in the power lines....DAMN. Good press, huh????Bastards!!!!

By the way...I actually taped it, because I happened to by the TV and I watched it again...you know what really pisses me off? They actually overdub screams of the student tumbling in freefall. Thats awful. Ah, what do you expect from FOX.

some people just aren't cut out to be sky divers! this sounds like one of them. Fox may have covered it, and aired it, but who provided the video footage? and who provided the "fodder" for making our sport look like only bafoons induldge? the diver that pulled the wrong handle should be grounded for life. my .02 USD.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Yeah, I agree that skydiving isnt for everyone, but I have had students go for the cutaway handle on a level one. I give the mainside JM credit, he tried like a motherfucker to stop him, but the student overpowered him. The mainside pulled his main and the reserveside JM flailed and totally split without even looking back. The MSJM stayed but just couldnt get to him. All around a poor performance by everybody.

Ok, the student had a RSL, right?

So after the main side see that, he could dump the main and it would fire the reserve (most likely)...

*shrug*

I hate it when SKYDIVERS sell their fucked up video to the media, sure you make some cash, but it really hurts our sport.

(never mind that I fucking hate the media)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I caught the tail end of it, and the dubbed in screams...What fucking crap.

I think I may call the number on the fox website and express my opinion of their crap show,
1-866-7stupid

"Sacrifice is a part of life. It is supposed to be. It's not something you regret . It's something to aspire to." Mitch Albom

Nope, no RSL...this guy tumbled for a good 5 to 7 seconds...either that or the RSL malfunctioned. The worst part about it was the screams that FOX had dubbed over it. Awful. Damn, that network...if they didnt have the Simpsons, I dont know what I would do.

damn, I just missed this. Doen anyone know if this is on skydivingmovies.com?

But of course!

/from_TV/4freefall_t1.rm

It's the same video but probably from a different show. The narrator in this one says "...yeah, that's right, his friggin chute rips off..."

I'm sure he was supposed to have an RSL. Dunno why it didnt work, but the main side JM probably pulled his main so the RSL would get the reserve open.

Dave

I caught the tail end of it, and the dubbed in screams...What fucking crap.

I think I may call the number on the fox website and express my opinion of their crap show,
1-866-7stupid

got an actual number? i could certainly blow off some steam chewing whatever poor soul answers the phone a new one about deceit and misrepresentation..

the diver that pulled the wrong handle should be grounded for life. my .02 USD.

Ya know what, if we grounded for life everyone who ever fucked up we wouldn't have a lot of skydivers. If we grounded for life everyone who fucked up an AFF level 1 we'd have even fewer. Take a look back at your progression, have you never made a mistake?

Something about glass houses and rocks....
-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

This sounds like the footage: the student was a lawyer and ended up and sued over his problems. Anyone remember the outcome of that? I don't think it went anywhere because he obviously f'ed up, and he was actually on radio and claims that they put him in those power lines...like he couldn't see them coming himself and avoid them. He must have used the FJC as an opportunity to catch up on his sleep. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if he is the one who sold the footage, and no, I don't believe that he stuck with it.

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

Those 2 Instructors should have their ratings yanked. Neither one flew the exit, they both had their heads buried in the side of the student. No RSL? Reserve side leaving early? Main side a) let go when he shouldn't have, and b) couldn't catch the student after he did let go.

Anyone know where this jump took place?

Hook

don't worry Fox's 54321 Sports and the show Counter Culture are going to be doing in depth coverage of the Rob Harris Boogie competiton... It just takes a "shitload" of networking and cold calling people to get the good stuff lined up. It's our fault for not selling our sport harder. This footage does not just jump out of the camera and on to t.v. I've seen so many people bitch about the coverage of skydiving on t.v. and not a whole lot of people talk about actively changing that. Well we've got our X-Games once again, it's called the Rob Harris Boogie. T.V. is covering it "our' way thanks to 6 months worht of non stop work, we've got an event that the networks are happy to cover.. all the naysayers, take a lesson and do the same. build it and they will come..

again, we've got to "sell" the footage, it doesnt just sell itself..

btw: saw a demo jump into Sea World in San Diego... anybody know who that was?

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

I can't remember if this is the same video or not, but I remember discussion before that it happened before AADs were required for students (he didn't have one). I'm guessing techniques have gotten better since then.

And I could be wrong but it seems to me the main side did the right thing (assuming the student was supposed to have a working RSL). The reserve side let go early.

Dave

seems to me the main side did the right thing

---------------

Yeah, except for letting the student do his practice touches on his cutaway instead of his pc...

Ya practice touching it a few times, and of course that's where you're going to go when it comes time...

-S

happened before AADs were required for students (he didn't have one).

My memory is that AFF students always had to have AADs. I was in the first AFF JM/I class in Texas, and I'm pretty sure it was the case then. There weren't a whole lot of them before that.

It might have just been that we never did one without, but in a way I find that hard to believe. RSLs were not required, but all of our student rigs had them.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

By the way...I actually taped it, because I happened to by the TV and I watched it again...you know what really pisses me off? They actually overdub screams of the student tumbling in freefall. Thats awful. Ah, what do you expect from FOX.

Havent you ever seen 'Point Break'?;)

Ok, the student had a RSL, right?

So after the main side see that, he could dump the main and it would fire the reserve (most likely)...

*shrug*

I hate it when SKYDIVERS sell their fucked up video to the media, sure you make some cash, but it really hurts our sport.

(never mind that I fucking hate the media)

Dave,
I totally agree with ya( i didnt know they/FOX DUBBED screamming in the video either!>:()
but all these types of media can do is air what they receive. Until I read the part about the screams I wouldnt find fault reporting of this "story"
everything besides the soundtrack is factual.I stated in the other post thar realtv seems to do a somewhat decent job of showing some cool stuff like bigways etc. but again , all they do is air what they receive![:/]
My photos

My Videos

Procedure here if the Student pulls the cutaway is close to what you describe happening on the video.

1 Student pulls cutaway

2 Mainside fires main and splits. (and RSL gets the reserve)

3 Reserve side hangs on during deployment /ensures reserve pull in event of RSL failure.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Sure everybody does. But there is so much more out there.
A couple days ago on german television:
A JM and his student open both close by, the student has a malfunction, cut away and tumbles unconscious. The JM cuts away also, catches her, deploys the reserve, she's still unconscious but has somehow collapsed her slider on the reserve??? and lands perfectly.

Another nice scene: 3 guys discuss in freefall plans about a robbery.

Skydiving on TV stinks!

Steffen

I'm pretty sure the student was using a Martin Baker ripcord (mounted directly over the cutaway handle). The practice touches were in the right area, it was the pull procedure that was wrong. You need to hook the handle with your thumb, grab your thumb, and pull. Grabbing the handle with an open hand leaves you open to grabbing both the main and cutaway at the same time. I don't think the main side JM pulled anything. It's not the greatest main activation system, which is why you don't see it too often anymore.

I think the guy who owns Virgin records (and airlaines and whatever) was training for his around the world balloon flight, and went through AFF, and did the same thing on his first jump.