TheAnvil

Vibes and Prayers

My best friend just called me from Atlanta a little bit ago. He's a bit shaken up and now I am a bit too. His wife is an ICU nurse and accidentally got jabbed with a needle tonight AFTER it had been in a patient. Not sure on the gory details but she is in tears so they're bound to be bad. That would be a SHITTY way to contract AIDS or some other insideous disease. I guess it's always been in the back of my mind that something like that might happen - I have several friends in med school/who are nurses/who are cops. But now that my best friend's wife had this happen (she's one of my best friends as well), it's put me deep in thought - and not on any stupid system or politics - and disturbed me more than a little. A woman's tears have always been my soft point and when I know they are sincere and from someone I love, like with Julie, it depresses and aggravates and bothers me. I can't even give her a hug because she's three time-zones away.

Keep her in your prayers if you would. They are my family and I'd appreciate it.

Vinny the Anvil
:|
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

My mom once accidentally pricked herself with a needle after giving a shot to a woman who was telling her how her sailor boyfriend just got back from Holland. Luckily, all she got from it was a big scare.

I do believe quantity plays a role in transmitting diseases and while a used needle isn't the best thing to get jabbed with, if it only had traces of blood, chances are your friend will be fine. !Vibes! to her, of course.

holy shit [:/] This brings back a lot of bad memories for me, my friend was stabbed with a hypodermic needle at a party once. I really hope everything works out ok.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Your friends are going to be ok. No doubt. The fear is the fear.

The odds are totally in their favor. Very seldom does anyone contract Hepatitus or HIV or anyother thing via a jab. Multiple jabs over a total lifetime, maybe.

Any person in ICU will be health cleared anyway, If this patient had HIV or Hepatius it will be noted in the chart. Of course, any ICU patient has had many tests done to rule out underlying illness.

I have been stuck. I dropped a bag of human tissue sissors on my thigh not sterilized, which produced several punctures and yes, anxiety was produced.

However, I have to maintain that it is going to be ok. This patient has had blood work done. The nurse, your friend, had to have a hepatitus shot on her resume. In addition, HIV testing can be done as the patient is still in ICU. Another test in say 6 weeks and its all good. If the patient is older even less worry.

Its ok, things will be fine. This is indeed alarming news yet jumping the gun before you know is more harmful. Nurses get stuck every single day. Its part of the deal.

Nurses are a world treasure. Throughout the ages they have held hands, helped bring about well being and administered life saving tasks. They watch over us when we are ill. I would say they are the closest thing on earth we have to angels, they are by our side at the worst of times.

My sincere best wishes for clear and best health for your friend and friend.

But dont worry so very much. Beleive it will be alright. Think positive.

This MHO

~AirAnn~

I work in that kind of environment also.
As mentioned above, there are a number of scenarios that can limit the chance on infection further. How long the needle has been out in the open, if the syringe was activated on contact, how fast the stick injury is cleaned, in some cases it has been suspected that gloves or clothing fibers have even inhibited the passing on of the the 'nasties'(technical term) where such a contact is made. :)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

Thanks everyone. All tests came back negative. I think she's was more pissed off/upset at the accident than anything else.

Pardon my absence from the banter today, but I'm overwhelmed @ work. Piss.

Beers to all,

Vinny
:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!