rhino

Would you like to end your depression? Get off of medication? Try this..................

Look yourself in the mirror for 20 minutes in the morning. Smile from EAR TO EAR. Do this for 30 days and your need for medication will be gone. You will not be able to remain depressed. No matter how silly you feel or how worthless you may think it is DO IT. You won't be sorry.

Don't argue unless you try it.. Don't question the psychology behind it until you try it.

Rhino :)
This is interesting stuff below..

http://www.breathwalk.com/

You guys should check this out.. Strange but it works!!!

That's sort of like the timeframe it takes to break any physical addiction, or so I have always been told. That said, there are just some people, actually a lot of them, who are obsessive compulsive and have "no off switch". It is incredibly hard for those people to break the pattern.

Chuck

Depression threads in a forum read largely by skydivers ?
It would be unfortunate if we have members that suffer from this.. jumping should never lose it's thrill factor.
Let's hope they never get too depressed to pull.

Depression affects every social group. Sorry to say, but I don't think being skydivers makes us in any way different or 'better'. One of my very good friends was a skydiver who suffered terrible mental problems for a variety of reasons. He is no longer around and yes, you could say in a way he got 'too depressed to pull'.

When we fail to see that depression can affect anyone regardless of background/ upbringing etc we stigmatise mental problems and exacerbate the problem.

Just because you can enjoy the 'thrill factor' of jumping doesn't mean depression can never strike, for any number of reasons. Look out for your friends and don't judge them because they aren't always riding high on the thrills of skydiving.

Ya know you're opening yourself up for a whole lot of s--t posting this. Rember your post in the Women's Forums?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

pretty balsy of you after the women's forum posts awhile back. dude, with all due respect, I'm glad this stuff has worked for you and others. but you need to know that some people may read this and think that b/c such "pull yourself up by your bootstrap" measures don't work for them, that thye are failures and may sink deeper into their depression. I think that creating a thread like this is irresponsible given the serious nature of depression as an illness.

as a pharmaceutical researcher and former psychotherapist, I can tell you from mounds of professional (and personal) experience that what you're proposing is far from a panacea and for some can be detrimental. i know you are against taking medications for depression and such. but it is VERY important for people to realize that depression is not a homogeneous illness. it's etiology isn't just situational. Given that, there are different methods of treatment that help different people. true, antidepressants are over-prescribed. a gynecologist has no business handing out prozac samples imho. however, this drug and the others in this class of antidepressants have SAVED LIVES.

so, before this thread turns into a shouting match about what depression is and how to best treat it, people should remember that the best approach to it's treatment is through a thorough assessment of the person by a qualified psychiatrist/psychologist, not the application of "pop psychology." The best way to attack a serious depression, which has been cited over and over in the medical literature is through a combination of medication and therapy. Therapy alone is helpful, but often times takes a lot longer and is unecessarily tougher w/o first taking an antidepressant to "put the floor back under you," to quote one of my dearest dz.com friends...

-the artist formerly known as sinker

as a pharmaceutical researcher and former psychotherapist, ......bla bla bla......etiology ..... bla bla bla....situational.

And what do you know?;) just coz you know big words and all....

PS: I think Skreamer killed that one already! lol
Remster

remember that the best approach to it's treatment is through a thorough assessment of the person by a qualified psychiatrist/psychologist, not the application of "pop psychology."

Excellent point, and well stated. Too many people try to cut out the medical professionals and forge a relationship directly with the pharmaceuticals, based on incorrect information.

I don't think being skydivers makes us in any way different or 'better'.

I disagree. I think we are different, and in a lot of ways, we are 'better'. However, that does not make us superheroes and it doesn't make us immune to depression.
It does, however, give us a fun pastime that can take our mind off that depression temporarily, and that's the best therapy there is!;)

Blondes do have more fun!

One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small and the ones that mother gives you don't do anything at all....:D

when the men on the chessboard get up and tell you where to go...

haha! Great song!

One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small and the ones that mother gives you don't do anything at all....

And through the miracle of the Internet, you can get the first kind with a "free Internet prescription from our staff doctors". The e-mails always say that, so it must be true. ;)

PS Showing your age on the lyrics, as am I that I recognized them. :o

I'll argue against it without trying it. I've seen what happens when clinically depressed people stop taking their meds because they think they are cured (it was the meds that made them feel that way), then after the chemicals are out of their body in a couple weeks, they're worse than they were before.

On the other hand, it'll only hurt you if you do, in fact, quit taking meds and need them. If all you do is smile at yourself in the mirror every day, well, then for people who are easily programmed, it can be effective.

Me, I'm trying to forge relationships with pharmaceuticals. Worked my way through beer, and I'm on wine now B|

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

and in a lot of ways, we are 'better'

I’ve met several skydivers that are jerks, assholes, etc. I’ve met many more that are very nice good people. I can pretty much say the same thing about whuffos.

I cant say I’ve enquired about the mental health of other skydivers or acquaintances, but considering all the talks about depression that was going on in the Woman’s forum (yea, I peaked in there), I think I know of more jumpers affected by it then whuffos. I’m sure its because I don’t spend much time in golf or soccer mom/dads forums;)

So to believe that we are better is pretty arrogant in my opinion.
Remster

I don't think being skydivers makes us in any way different or 'better'.

I disagree. I think we are different, and in a lot of ways, we are 'better'. However, that does not make us superheroes...

No, I was already a superhero. Skydiving is just part of my superhero training. It's all documented on the web site. ;)

I disagree. I think we are different, and in a lot of ways, we are 'better'.

Yeah, I had that kind of arrogance when I had 8 jumps too...:ph34r: Guess next we'll be hearing that all non-skydivers are a waste of space and there's no point in even attempting to communicate with them. There was a time in every skydiver's life when they weren't a skydiver, incredible though it may seem...

Depression is fairly complex and can't necessarily be 'cured' by saying 'do something fun and take your mind off it'.

Yeah, I had that kind of arrogance when I had 8 jumps too...:ph34r: Guess next we'll be hearing that all non-skydivers are a waste of space

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not putting down whuffos in any way. I said in many ways skydivers are better, not in every way. In many ways, whuffos are better. And skydivers are CERTAINLY different; that's not saying anything bad at all.
Please don't jump on me without reading carefully what I've said; sometimes I don't use the right words, but the meaning is there if you pay attention. I happen to love my whuffo friends--they are all a lot of fun, and I wouldn't ever give them up or call them a waste of space.

Depression is fairly complex and can't necessarily be 'cured' by saying 'do something fun and take your mind off it'.

I also didn't say it was a cure; I said it was good therapy. Therapy is not really a cure either--it's just something that helps you deal with a serious problem.