nigel99

Polygammy

Ok - so I have some contraversial beliefs on this subject (to my wife anyway). But was wondering on general feeling and opinion.

So my viewpoint - I do not believe that the christian religion as based on the bible outlaws it - infact most famous characters had at least 1 wife - upto about 700 for Solomon. The modern church uses out of context quotes about a priest should have only 1 etc. I reckon athiests should have no problem with the concept as I really can't see a moral "no" to this and as to other religions I do not know.

So the practical side - I realise that in the west most men see it as a permanent orgy, but I think there are more practical reasons. Will expand when I've done some work ;)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Polygammy is illeagal in the US for several reasons. But In my opinion the reason for this was family stability. There are several issues with polygammy such as the number of children which can be born in one year to the same family. This can cause a crisis in the welfare of not only the children, but the parents as well. Now, If you choose to have 7 wives and 28 kids, and you are someone making only $40K a year, why should I have to pay for the welfare of your children?????

The laws on marriage give some people the privlidge of getting married in the US, but not the RIGHT. Do I think it is unfair that there is a tax break???? Maybe, but that is what the government felt was the reward for raising a family in a "reletively" stable environment.

Do I think the government should be arresting polygamists??? Yes and NO.

If they are minding there own business no. If they are getting handouts from the government for welfare, or if the children are suffering because of lack of food or health care, YES.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

Polygamy, polyandry, and other group efforts are all ways to define family units. That's all. If polygamy is legalized, then the others should be too. As it is, there are no laws against living that way, only against calling it marriage.

Of course, if the guy wants to be the boss man of a unit of meek wives, or if the woman wants to be the object of adoration of a bunch of men, well, that's a little icky. But until there's force involved, it's their business.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Can you explain the "tax break"? Last I checked, we were paying more for being married, not less.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Well in principle I personally do not have objections. The physiology might get interesting considering in general men are "suppossed" to have a higher sex drive than women. So it kind of works better in the usual context - everones happy! The women get a break and the guy has fun.

In answer to other posts - its not really the same subject having 28 kids as polygammy and 7 wives not working. Howabout people like my wife who get stuck at home looking after kids and want to work - why couldn't she work and the "other" wife look after the kids? If you got the balance right society would have more capacity not less B|
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

as long as you can take care of all your wives and kids, I think it's OK...
Bad thing : rich guys would have many wives, poor guys would have none left
Question : why have kids if you have several wives ???
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

OK - no it would not be - essentially the modern world accepts "serial polygammy" i.e people have relationships and then move on.

Polygammy actually advocates long term relationships - which is deemed to be good. Lastly sex drive - don't really know just repeating common statements gripes by most married men!

I would really like to find out how it works in practice in Africa/Asia as I really piss my family (and wife) off with my views - not that I believe its worth the extra in-laws mind you B|

Are you talking about the right to marry more than one other, polygamy, or the practice of being involved with more than one partner, polyamory (www.polyamory.org), or the practice of casually screwing other people, swinging?

They are all quite different and there are many, many arguments for and against all now and through history.

Personally, one wife is almost more than I can handle. B|

I would NOT care to try two or more.

That said, if this country is going to allow men to marry men and women to marry women, who the hell are they to say a man cant have 2 or more wives as long as all involved are consenting adults and hurt nobody else with their lifestyle.
Its simply a lifestyle choice as much as any other.

Which "god" in our government is taking on the responsibility of deciding which lifewtyle is ok and which one isnt?

Thats actually where I stand on the issue (just about cope with 1).

But still believe that there is nothing WRONG with more than 1 and technically against the RIGHTS of adults to prohibit it if they do want to.

Here is the issue with what you just said.

Gay marriage is an alternative lifestyle to "the norm". Good or bad however you want to look at it. If nationally the law was changed, and it allowed gay marriage, IMO there it would open the flood gates for other "Alternative lifestyles.

Polygamist would want laws against them to change ETC... Next thing you know people like CLAY will want the right to marry a SHEEP!!!!;)

I have no problem with Gays living together.
I have no problem with polygamist so long as they are not "Married" (Live together/date have fun)
I have no problem with Clay living with sheep.

However, when it becomes a legal issue it gets very complicated.

What happens in a polygamist divorce??? What if 3 wives want to divorce some guy. What are their entitlements??? It gets way to HAIRY. What if there are children involved and many wives. Who gets the kids??? Picture that in court ... ahhhh

my $.02
Chris

What happens in a polygamist divorce??? What if 3 wives want to divorce some guy. What are their entitlements??? It gets way to HAIRY. What if there are children involved and many wives. Who gets the kids??? Picture that in court ... ahhhh

That's why we have Jerry Springer.

As for multiple adults living together in long term relationships and bringing up kids that sounds kinda like a commune to me.
Did anyone else see "The Beach" with Loe DiCaprio?

David

I have no problem with Gays living together.
I have no problem with polygamist so long as they are not "Married" (Live together/date have fun)
I have no problem with Clay living with sheep.

However, when it becomes a legal issue it gets very complicated.

Actually in spite of my post, I agree 100% with what you have said here. I wasnt speaking to my own personal beliefs of whats right or wrong in alternate lifestyles.

What my post meant was that IF we allow one alternate lifestyle, we MUST allow the others as well. If we dont, then we are imposing our own values upon others with an uneven hand. This wouldnt be right.

I'm not in support of those types of marriages. I AM, however, in support of fairness. If one kind is ok, they are all ok.
The law must be applies evenly and equally to all otherwise its bullshit.

I hear what you are saying, but the law doesn't give people the "Right" to get married. According to the law a resposible marriage is for the "Good Welfare of the people" It could easily be interpreted that not everyone has the right to get married, and people could be denigned marriage if it were not "good for the people".

chris

Divorce is a complex issue and not something that I have ever thought about - especially not in this context. I realise that it works in Islamic countries where the woman have no rights, but obviously that doesn't apply in the west.

I think that the western world focuses on it purely as a sexual relationship and kind of pictures permanent orgies. I think that the reality of it is more likely a combi of relationships, and supporting each other. Speculation would domestic violence go up or down - I believe down. Would violent child abuse decrease, possibly if vulnerable stressed mothers had people to support them. I am not suggesting violence reduction as a motive for polygammy.

I have a picture of a commune where many people are supporting each other and bringing up kids etc.
but that there are legal ties between them through marriage. Is this what you are thinking?

I doubt it would work as personal jealousy would get in the way not to mention differences in opinion with kids playing adults off against each other in the way they do in two parent families.

As for the western orgy idea, if I was to read through the posts above I never mentioned how it would give the woman a break and allow the guys to still have some fun.

David

Polygamy.

Basically, you have some guys from Utah acting like NBA players, with subtle differences:

NBA Player - "Hoochie," "Beyotch," "Hood Rat"
St. George guy - "My wives"

NBA Player - "kids," "bastards," "Ball & Chain," "Paternity Suit"
St. George guy - "My Children"

NBA Player - "Jimmy Hat," "Condom" "Rubber" "Protection"
St. George guy - "birth control against religion"

NBA Player - "Cruisin', Scammin'" "Whorin'"
St. George guy - "Marrying"

NBA Player - "Jail bait," "R. Kelly-in'
St. George guy "She's 13? Still not married? I'll make her my wife!"

There really isn't much difference between Shawn Kemp and the St. George guy. Same number of kids and mothers. Only in St. George, they want to marry them.

My wife is hotter than your wife.