AggieDave

I lost a f***ing shoe!

Yup, on my 3rd or 4th tandem today, I lost a shoe on exit. Don't really know how/why, but I felt a tug on my foot as I left the cessna, I look to my right just in time to see my shoe fly very far away and it is now gone for ever. And I just bought this pair about 2 months ago...they only had about 150 jumps on them.:S

How is it I make it through a CReW wrap with my shoes on, but I loose one on a tandem...aggghhhh.

Oh well, atleast I did 10 tandems today. B| That's my personal best for tandems in a day so far. And they were all out of a 182.B|

I wonder where my poor lonely shoe landed...hopefully a rabbit or a squirrel out there will give it a good home (and hopefully it didn't land on the highway!)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I lost a shoe on its 2nd jump. The shoes were less than a day old. :(

Thats right! On my way to the dropzone, I thought, "hey... I'll get some nice shoes to jump in". I knew I would be doing CRW in them, so I looked for features that would be CRW-friendly: good fit, but will come off without breaking an ankle. No snag points... good sleek shape that won't be a bitch to grab lines with. Found a great shoe that fit all my requirements.. and hey! it was on sale for $30 down from $40.

On the second jump that day, we were attempting a downplane. We couldn't get our legs locked together very well, and they were on the way to slipping apart just as the canopies were turning down. Well, our legs totally slipped apart and the other guy's leg brushed past my foot and ripped my brand new shoe off my left food. I saw it for a split second as it dropped away and fell for a good 8 or 9 grand...

Oh well... go back together and turned a few more points with 1 shoe... had to borrow one of the shoes the dropzone keeps for tandems.. nothing like doing crw with mis-matched shoes..

this thread is so sunny cuz today i almost lost a shoe on a frefly jump. we went linked and hosed the exit and tumbled a little finaly we let go and my shoe came off but not all the way. i was at about 9 grand so had time to chance putting back on. i went into a cannonball and got it on in no time at all but when i got stable i see my buddie head down just to keep up. we broke off and landed. when we got back to the packing area i checked my protrack and found my max speed at 177. Dam i have trouble going that fast on purpose. but it was amazing to see how fast you can go just by being unstable.
I am the light my son...What you seek is fire

Caught a loosing shoe episode on tape a few months ago. CReW instructor with a newbie on his 2nd CReW jump.

Instructor got his shoe stripped off as his student wildly tried to dock and spun away!

Happily, the instructor had another exact pair in his car for occurrences such as this...he comes prepared. :S

His name? The one, the only Mike Muscat! :D

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Yup, I keep a second (old) pair of shoes at the DZ just incase I lost a shoe, so that came in handy yesterday...

Oh well, I'm off to the DZ, I've got atleast 7 tandems today, so hopefully I won't loose a shoe on any of those (since I'm starting to run out of shoes here).:P

You could always donate the left-over shoe to Z-hills. They slide a shoe up in the Otter door to close off the draft. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You could always donate the left-over shoe to Z-hills. They slide a shoe up in the Otter door to close off the draft. :ph34r:

A shoe to stop the draft...Hmmm...have to pass that along! (ya know, being back in the corner by the tail can get awfully chilly during the winter months! :P

At Elsinore, they used to use a stuffed green snake in the door to stem off the draft. :D

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Dave, you need to learn how to spot. A few months ago I was doing a freefly jump with a friend when I saw one of his Tevas come off and go shooting upwards at about 8000ft. Later on, about 30 seconds after we landed, the missing shoe hit the ground less than 50 feet from where I was picking up my gear.

And I just bought this pair about 2 months ago...they only had about 150 jumps on them.

I have lost a shoe to a hard opening before...

Its funny that skydivers refer to everything in the number of jumps they have on them...shoes,sunglasses,t-shirts,jewelry,girlfriends
--------------------------------------------------
"But I'm Just doin what I have to do to survive"-MM

Yeah, yeah yeah, it was the FIRST time I lost a shoe in freefall...it was my first time to do 10 tandems in a day...

Oh, had 4 tandems today, thank god the other 2 rescheduled...I'm very SORE from yesterday. Its a good sore, though, a very happy, got to work with students and really make some people's day sore.B|

I never took the time to wonder around the area of the airport where the spot was over (since I doubt it got much drift, being a shoe), I might do that tomorrow, since I'm between semesters and can screw off during the days now.:)

Later on, about 30 seconds after we landed, the missing shoe hit the ground less than 50 feet from where I was picking up my gear.

hehe, something very similar happened to a croatian freefly team at our nationals in July... a girl's shoe came off during a try of a knee docked exit, and it fell only some 8 meters away from our bar and some 4 meters away from a group of pilots... damn did they flip out, but i seriously doubt if there would be any damage if it fell on a pilot's had :P;)

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org