yardhippie

Ever thought about quitting b/c of an injury?

Ok so i was wondering... cuz it hadnt even crossed my mind until my Dr asked me today if I was done jumping.... and I looked at him like he was speaking another language. Im looking at at least 1 [:/] maybe 2 B| sessions "under" to repair the damage to my ankle, and cant wait to get back at it... B|
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I have never been injured, but I know those that have. Prior to my fifth jump, I saw someone get hurt, and it shook me. I thought about quitting then, thinking the sport isn't worth it.

Shortly thereafter, I was on the climb to altitude.

So, have I thought about it? Yes. I think everyone would admit that the thought crossed their minds, even if for only a minute.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I had spine surgery March 29th and was jumping 4 weeks later. It never once crossed my mind to quit although I was worried that I might not be able to jump again. My doctor would ask me the same thing in the beginning. Now he just shakes his head and smiles.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

EVER? Yes. When I first started jumping I met a girl who had broken her back on a brutal tree landing and I couldn't believe she came back after such a severe injury. One year later I shattered and compressed my tibial plateau and was out for 4 months. All I could think of all day every day was getting back in the sky. I wore out all my skydiving videos and healed way quicker than expected. I am 100% certain that it was due to my dedication to physical therapy which was fueled by my intense desire to skydive again. Amazing how whuffos think of this sport as being so morbid when really it is what breathes life into my soul. :)

Fall in dove.

see thats the whole thing for me.... I have never questioned my dedication in my short time of involvment. Not when this dude pouded in after my 20th jump and turn his arm into jello (really) not afer the countless times ive seen people hit and think "dont bother w/ 911 just call the morgue, and just before I pounded in... my thoughts were damn... this is gonna fuck up my jumps at Rantoul.
:P
yes I flew the shit outl of my canopy.... and thats probably why im only having surgery on my ankle, but hey... .5 seconds is a long time before impact. :|
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

[I am 100% certain that it was due to my dedication to physical therapy which was fueled by my intense desire to skydive again. Amazing how whuffos think of this sport as being so morbid when really it is what breathes life into my soul. :)

I think that's a good point. I'm new to skydiving, but I've been in martial arts for a long time. Injury is part of it, mostly broken bones, but head injury and death also occur.

But when something breaths life into your soul, it gives you the strength to recover. I broke an elbow at a tournament a few years ago, taped it up and fought another match.

I was in the dojo the next day, then had it cast the day after that. I trained with one arm until I got the cast off.

Sometimes there are so many banged up people recovering from surgery in a Judo class that it reminds me of the story about the famous pig that was all bandaged up with body parts missing.

Someone asked about it and was told, "mister that pig saved a whole family from a burning house."

"But why is he all bandaged up like that?"

"Mister, a pig like that you don't eat all at one time."

Words aren't real

It's funny when you think of all the metal in the air free falling. I shattered my finger on AFF L 2 landing - a plate & 4 screws latter, didn't even consider quitting. My Dr., my family, friends & wuffo now ex-boyfriend all asked if that was it, was I done. My answer - done? done w/ what?

A great friend of mine that was recently injured said she's going to be all banged/broken up "by the time she's done" I said "done w/ what", "with skydiving" she said!!
In my head, I thought, done w/ skydiving?!?! It hadn't even entered my mind to think of being done. Guess I figure that just as I'll have to work till I die (cause skydiving's eating all my savings), I'll skydive as long as I'm able as well. It' like being done w/ breathing or eating or sex... can't live very happily w/o any of those & don't want to consider it.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Interesting question. I've been working at dz's for years. In that time I've seen some pretty gruesome injuries. Not once did it ever occur to me to quit the sport. I've been jumping over 20 years, luckily without any more than the usual bumps and bruises. Injuring myself would not stop me from skydiving, but maybe the reason for the injury might.

never pull low......unless you are

i never even considered it until these last couple of weeks. i'm always at work, when i'm home i've got the kids at the house. i just had major knee surgery on my left knee, and i'm no cry baby, but this gives the word pain a whole new meaning. at first i thought it would be nothing, but the day after it was done, and now 4 weeks later, i'm regretting it, consenting to the operation that is. i injured my knee in martial arts training as well, tied up with some 19 year old i didn't take serious enough and he kicked the shit out of me, i just never got it repaired and that's going on 6 years now. i think i'll wait and see how the re-hab and rebuilding processes go before i go to jumping again, if ever. "Every Man Has Got To Know His Limitations"
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

NEVER!!!!!

I broke an arm in two places, broke the pelvis, and did internal injuries to myself in a car accident after a demo jump. I have two plates and 12 screws in the arm and jumped with a urinary bag for over 6 months!! Life is good :)
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

No, not me. I have had the 'funnies in the door' upon my return to the air after an injury. But that is about it. I it made me more careful. But I still have injuries periodically. But not the same thing twice.

This sport, like many is prone to injury. Just like veryday life.

For instance Daddy bought me an Old Grey Mare once and she hated me. She mashed me up into a fence and I nearly suffocated. Then she has my leg mashed there too. Then she threw me all the way to North Dallas. Then she took off running full blast down a paved road complete with cars. She stopped at the barn slightly and luckily I ducked my head. She stopped short of her feed bin and I fell in it. I got really banged up.

My FFA project, a steer @ this time about 700 lbs, steps on my foot. My tennis shoes were fine but my foot was not. Then he decides he is tired of standing that way and spins his cloven hoof to the left. Thus mashing my foot then mashing it again clockwise. Ok, that swolle up like a blow fish and turned tie dye colors.

I fell off a fence. Broke ankle. This while trying to break 2 burros...... My Dads humor... Burros are beneficial when hunting in rugged hills, rocks and etc. Being the smallest. I was nominated to ride my Dads freinds 'jackass' (or Jackson) into the hills - they drove as far as they could and slung the field dressed deer over Jackson and away they went stright to the truck and frosty beverages. I rode thru the stary night, wolves following me, giant anacondas, jackles and werewolves, alien insects all following the deers scent. And me with a Swiss Army Knife and some toliet paper.

So being the intelligent fellow my Dad is he rushed out and got a Jenny and a little one to boot. -Here you go- Train these, it will be great. Huh, the saddle falls over their head, everytime. They have no shoulders to grab on to and their back is boney as hell. I cant tell you how many face plants I have done.

I drove a tractor into a creek, not knowing it was there because of the extremely high brush that I was there to mow. After my Uncle pulled my ass out, he said 'Man that creek has been there my entire life. Whyd you wanna drive down there for?'

How many times did I wreck my go cart? I know of at least 3, the 4th one I got knocked out.

So for me Skydiving has only given me a few bumps and busted stuff. Its not like its the first time I have been hurt.

In this sport, I have been given every example of situations and how to get out of them. I have fought Drs on the idea of not skydiving. Even on the lenght of recovery. I dont reccomend this for everyone, but thats just me.

These events in my former years may be abnormal for some, but we did not have a movie theather or fun stuff. We had 3 stop lights and a Dairy Queen.

PS. I finally did train that damn Grey Mare - And I drove her ass straight thru the drive in window at that very Dairy Queen. I got a glass of free water.
;)

~AirAnn~

I was parked next to the Strong RV one year. On a weather day, we started talking about the reasons that skydivers quit skydiving. One study concluded that at about 300 jumps, a lot of skydivers get injured.

The injury has physical, emotional, and financial impacts. Some jumpers want to continue skydiving, but never return because they can't deal with the financial problems. For some, it was pressure from other involved parties, such as a SO who couldn't deal with the reality that it may happen again.

I broke my leg early last season, and still haven't gotten my nerve back. I've made only 9 or 10 jumps since April, even though my leg is back to normal. Although I still love jumping in theory, I just scares the heck out of me now that I know what a bad fracture can do to me. I'm actually thinking about selling my gear, but I'm not ready to give skydiving up completely.

sigh, who knows whether i'll still be a jumper next year....

After 3 shoulder surgeries in 2.5 years, I have to admit the thought has crossed my mind. Not so much "Do I want to keep jumping?" as, "If I'm doomed to hop & pops with docile canopies for the rest of my life, is it worth remaining current?"

Now that I've made a couple extended delays without any pain, tomorrow I'll be lurking a couple RW jumps to see if I can control my fall rate with a similar lack of pain. It'll still be awhile before I'm willing to risk zoo loads, and I doubt I'll ever be able to freefly comfortably again. I may be able to work my way back into swooping. The problem is that the angle/loading of the shoulder during landing is, for me, its least stable configuration so a bump that wouldn't normally hurt anyone can cause my humerus to tear through the thrice repaired tissue and allow a dislocation over the bolted-in-place bone graft (which would probably hurt more than dislocations did before that repair).

I ain't quitting, but I'd be a liar to say the thought hasn't crossed my mind.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

If I lost both legs?...........I'd jump with my 220 Triathalon and to hi-pro prothstetics (look like leaf spring, kangaroo legs/feet).
I have been skiing since I was 3 & m-bike since 4.
Loosing limb or MAINly leg(s) has always been a constant paranoia since childhood.
Ever since a "spiral-break" age 4=skiing alone and finding that I wouldn't ski again, until next season (then I cried for the 1st time of the accident).

Dave
I didn't know you were "restricted" like that. Sorry to hear. Hope it works out.

I thought about quitting after my accident, but I'm too addicted. It does limit what I can safely do. No tiny canopies. No BASE. No hard-surface demos.

CYa

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

Dave
I didn't know you were "restricted" like that. Sorry to hear. Hope it works out.

It worked out quite well yesterday. Pulled out of a reasonably fast dive a little late, threw everything out to match a 102 mph fall rate (tough with an exit weight of 240). Also played with riser turns, and had a little induced speed on my landings, all with zero pain or feeling of instability.

I thought about quitting after my accident, but I'm too addicted. It does limit what I can safely do. No tiny canopies. No BASE. No hard-surface demos.

That sucks, but at least it still leaves you with plenty of options. Prior to yesterday, all but 4 of my jumps in an almost 2 year span had been hop & pops or solo freefalls. Sure some were demo's, some with flags, a little low-pressure CRW, etc, but not being able to play with my friends in freefall sucked. I've got a grin on my face today with the knowledge that I'm well on my way to being "back". I wasn't that good at freeflying anyhow, and all of my good friends like to play on their bellies too, so I've got nothing to cry about.

Just so I know who I'm talking to, was your accident the result of a broken steering line?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I just took some stitches to the noggin and jumped the next day. No way, dude. No wussy injury is taking me out of the sport I love.

Then again, you might have something more serious.

:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!