lazyfrog

How many languages do U speak ??

By your definition, I'm an American. Took Spanish in high school and have family who speak it fluently, but what I learned in school wasn't practical, so I never really learned the language. If someone speaks slowly enough, I can catch a little of it, but not a lot. My boyfriend is trying to teach me German, and I've learned a few short phrases, but by no means am I close to fluent!
My boyfriend, however, speaks fluent English, German, Spanish, and Italian. It makes me proud!:)

Blondes do have more fun!

It's all practice, I used to speak Portuguese (my writing was not really good) and also Italian, my mother speaks it (she learned because of her job), but now I can barely understand Italian.

What a shame [:/]

I think it's funny that most people didn't get the joke! :D It's very funny though and you're right, everyone I've met from another country usually speaks their own native language and at least English... sometimes even more languages. Americans put very little effort into teaching their youth multiple languages from a very young age. Hell, which ONE would they pick? :S

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

I was lookin for the same answer. Took a few years of Spanish, minored in Japanese in college & studied some Russian (know the nicities, hi, I'm fine & you kinda thing) & know a bit of sign language.

I desperately want to be fluent in another language, just can't find one I like & could use w/ enough regularity to stay current.

My s/o is from Poland, so i'm thinking of taking a few classes in that & suprising him. But will prob wait till we've been together for a bit longer.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Hell, which ONE would they pick?

I would pick Spanish, since most southern states are pretty much forced bilingual anyways.

You're probably right... can't even get a job in Texas if you don't speak Spanish! I think we should be more proactive at teaching languages at younger ages.

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Hell, which ONE would they pick?

I would pick Spanish, since most southern states are pretty much forced bilingual anyways.

You're probably right... can't even get a job in Texas if you don't speak Spanish! I think we should be more proactive at teaching languages at younger ages.

Texas schools are doing this now; many schools are beginning Spanish in elementary school, where the mind is still super-absorbant and learns quickly. Also, the majority of school systems, when I was in high school just 8 years ago, didn't require a foreign language class; now they are requiring at least 2 years, and more for advanced placement or IB classes. It's become much more important in daily life to speak another language, which is why I really want my SO to keep trying to teach me German, even though I get frustrated a lot and am learning at an extremely low rate (mostly due to the frustration).

Blondes do have more fun!

Skyrose, Thanks for the heads up & the phonetic spelling. Found some good web-sites, but am having issues w/ sounding the stuff out.
I live in Chicago, one of the largest Polish pops outside of Poland & can't find one person to help me - jeesh!!

I think it's funny that most people didn't get the joke! It's very funny though and you're right, everyone I've met from another country usually speaks their own native language and at least English... sometimes even more languages. Americans put very little effort into teaching their youth multiple languages from a very young age. Hell, which ONE would they pick?

This is so true - which one. Spanish is great, but so very typical. No matter what our education system needs to start w/ foreign languages MUCH earlier. I'd like to marry a multilingual prson & learn thier language. that way we can talk about other people in front of them & they'll never know (hopefully) (AND KIDDING - I wouldn't use my special powers for evil :)).

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

can't even get a job in Texas if you don't speak Spanish

[clears throat] Ahem. Yes, you can. It's harder to get one in some segments of the service industry, and in some government jobs, but it's entirely possible.

It's easier to get a job in those arenas if you speak Spanish. More skills = greater ease in finding a job.

Wendy W.
(English, Portuguese, Spanish, (rusty) French)
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

How do you call somebody who speaks 3 languages :
trilingual

How do you call somebody who speaks 2 languages :
bilingual

How do you call somebody who speaks 1 language :
an american ;)

----------------------------
I call myself quadrilingual
English, Spanish, Italian and German.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

...How do you call somebody who speaks 1 language : an american ;)

This quite often very true. Even though most of us learn some of another language in school, the opportunity to use, retain, and become fluent in another language is just not there for most of us. In europe, its just a 1-3 hour car/train ride to an area where another language is necessary. Here, its just an hour or 3 car ride to the DZ. And a 15 hour, several hundred dollar plane ride to Europe, where all the different languages are necessary.

Sure Spanish would be helpful in the southern/western US but then again thats like telling the French they need to speak English to the American tourists in France.

My son got a scholarship to study abroad for a year. He had always made fun of my attempts to teach him German and French. The scholarship sent him to Germany, and they said 'don't worry about Germans they all speak English." Then they sent him to EAST Germany as the wall came down. He learned to speak German very well, very fast, or he would have starved to death. The second language there was Russian, not English, so he learned Russian as well. While he was there, his French class from America went to France, so he traveled there to visit, and polish his French speaking skills then came back to the States, then to West Germany for a year, then to the States for a year, then to Australia for a year, then the States then China for several months. So he speaks English, French, German, Russian, and Mandarin Chinese. Is he fluent? Yes, he negotiates contracts in German and Chinese for his law firm all day every day. So speak funny languages to your kids when they are little, you never know what they will pick up.
If you are looking for help learning a language in Chicago, I am sure he could point you in the right direction.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I am fluent in over 6 million forms of communication.

c'mon... I can't believe it took this long to get here....

One for me. I did French and Italian in primary school, and 3 yrs of Japanese in high school.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies