elmono

Mirage G4 or Infinity Rig

Hello. I'm 6.1 and weigh 220. I plan to fit a 210 main and a 190 reserve. I prefer the Mirage due to all the security features they have listed on their website. Not sure if they are just marketing gigs or true upgrades compared to other rigs out there, but the one piece cable housing vs electrical fittings, the covered reserved flap grommet and some other things I have read seem to make sense given my limited experience in this sport (75 Jumps in 10 months).
The rigger at my drop zone mentioned that the G4 has more flaps to go thru for the reserve to deploy and this for some reason concerns me.
I would like to get some advise here from some more experienced folks about G4 vs Infinity in general for my size and if the G4 reserve pilot chute design should be a concern (anyone with actual cutaways out there). THANKS!

I have fewer jumps than you do and i never jumped the Mirage but i just got my Infinity and i LOVE it! The fit is incredible the riser and pin protection are top notch and i got it quickly (compared to some other rigs) I have a 210 Spectre in it and my rig will fit a 190 optimum. Feel free to PM me if you have more infinity questions.
Wait , I pull what first?

The rigger at my drop zone mentioned that the G4 has more flaps to go thru for the reserve to deploy and this for some reason concerns me.
I would like to get some advise here from some more experienced folks about G4 vs Infinity in general for my size and if the G4 reserve pilot chute design should be a concern (anyone with actual cutaways out there). THANKS!

Both rigs have the same amount of flaps ( 4 ) above the RPC.
If you don't like the idea of having flaps above the RPC you should go for full pop top (Racer or Tear Drop).
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Again I'm a newb but my rigger told me that the Infinity has fantastic reserve pilot spring strength

The spring used on the reserve PC on Infinity, Mirage, and Vector 3 is the same part number from the same third party supplier. So, all are equally strong (approx 45 lbs).

Hello. I'm 6.1 and weigh 220. I plan to fit a 210 main and a 190 reserve. I prefer the Mirage due to all the security features they have listed on their website. Not sure if they are just marketing gigs or true upgrades compared to other rigs out there, but the one piece cable housing vs electrical fittings, the covered reserved flap grommet and some other things I have read seem to make sense given my limited experience in this sport (75 Jumps in 10 months).

75 jumps in 10 months, loading a main at ~1.11 isn't too horrible, but loading a 190 reserve at ~1.29 is a bad idea. You're jumping your reserve, an unfamiliar canopy, that's smaller than anything you've jumped before, jacked up on adrenaline and probably lower than normal deployment altitude... sound like a good idea?

Other than that, all of the current rigs are safe. I had a Mirage that I ended up downsizing out of and sold, bought a Vector 3, both are great rigs, and I would happily jump either of them.

The covered reserve grommet... I can't think off the top of my head of any (SPORT) rigs made in the last 20 years that don't have a covered reserve pin. As for the electrical fittings... sounds like a marketing gimmick more than a safety feature, how many failures of the cutaway housing end fittings have any one heard of?

I do like how they say it costs more for them :D.

My V3 has a spectra reserve rip cord, that costs $50 LESS than the steel cable, and is easier to inspect (IMO).

As far as having more flaps covering the PC, if it worries you, get a racer :P... There have been some tabletop container locks from using an excessively long closing loop on the reserve with flaps covering the PC, but I chalk that up to rigging, not design.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Actually 220 is MY weight, not my EXIT weight, so my WL is 1.19 or 1.20. I have 20 jumps at this WL. What the instructor told me is that the reserve is designed to get you to the ground safely, so 190 is what I should get. I will ask again, I have no problem getting a 210 reserve.

What the instructor told me is that the reserve is designed to get you to the ground safely, so 190 is what I should get.

I wonder what he meant by that.

A reserve will have different opening and flying qualities than a main canopy, and in that sense the primary design of the reserve is just to open fast and land soft. In comparison to a main, which might be designed to open soft and be more 'fun' in the turns or the way it handles.

However, none of that has anything to do with WL. Regardless of what a canopy is made for, WL is WL. Truth is, for the purpose of a reserve, you should look for a lower WL than your main.

Two things are guaranteed anytime you fly your reserve, the first is that things have already gone 'off plan'. How that effects your performance or mindset differs from person to person. The other unavoidable fact is that you'll have far less experience flying your reserve than your main. As previouslt discussed, the main and reserve are different canopies, and knowing how to fly one doesn't mean you'll be as good at flying the other.

There's two other possibilities to keep in mind. The one is that you might not be under an open reserve until you're fairly low. A Cypres fire will saddle you out (hoepfully) at 500ft. Even timely emergency procedures can have you open under 2k. In either case, you have less time to fly your canopy and plan your landing. A faster canopy would not be better.

The other one, to go along with that, is that you might be landing off. A spot that's fine for flying a canopy back to the DZ from 3000ft, isn't going to be a good spot for flying a reserve from 1500ft. Now you're landing off after a short canopy ride after a cutaway. Do you want the 210 or 190 in that case?

Don't bother asking the instructor anything, just get the bigger reserve. There's no harm in it, and you'll never land after a cutaway and say, 'I just wish the reserve flew faster'.

Hi!

I'm partial to the Infinity from Velocity Sports Equipment. There are a lot of cool options on it such as:

1. Secondary riser covers integrated into the reserve side body
2. Very secure main pin cover flap, it won't come open unless you tell it to.
3. Floating laterals: (option)- They come off the side of the rig protecting your corners and it's integrated into the backpad using webbing and the backpad so it fully hugs around your body allowing no blue sky in between you and the rig.
4. You can get double wide webbing to fill your legpad for more comfort at no extra charge.
5. Rigs are completely custom to your body, plus no extra charge for custom color hackey, risers, length of risers, custom color pilot chute, off colored thread on binding tape, and black hardware.

Feel free to PM me with your e-mail address and I can send you an Infinity information sheet with pictures and FAQ's.

Happy shopping and hope to hear from you.

Blue Skies,

Gail Lovelace
Velocity Sports Equipment
[email protected]

If you line up Infinity and Mirage owners, and ask them, they will say their rig is the best, or why would they have bought one? Try them and find what you like for your reasons. I chose Infinity because it was more comfortable to me and I liked options/color scheme/price point. After meeting Kelly and seeing his attention to detail in his shop, my next rig will be another Infinity. When ever I have had questions or comments for what I wanted, either he or one of his staff(Tony or Gail) have been quick to get back to me. Their service has been top notch, both before the sale and afterwards.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

If you line up Infinity and Mirage owners, and ask them, they will say their rig is the best, or why would they have bought one? Try them and find what you like for your reasons. I chose Infinity because it was more comfortable to me and I liked options/color scheme/price point. After meeting Kelly and seeing his attention to detail in his shop, my next rig will be another Infinity. When ever I have had questions or comments for what I wanted, either he or one of his staff(Tony or Gail) have been quick to get back to me. Their service has been top notch, both before the sale and afterwards.

Agreed 100%