Gawain

Hey Californians, Enjoy Your 300% Car Fee Hike...

The tripled fee goes into effect for registrations dated for October 2003. So, if your registration was $100 this time last year, look for roughly $300 this year.

Good thing my registration is in April. Hopefully by then, we'll have a governor with some b@lls to rescind the increase at the very least. :S
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Hopefully, whomever it is, rescinds it quick... I'm due in January - looking at $500.00. GOOD GOD it's expensive to live in CA!!! :P

Raddest ho this side of Jersey #1 - rest in peace brother
Beth lost her cherry and I missed it
.... you want access to it, but you don't want to break it.

Hopefully, whomever it is, rescinds it quick... I'm due in January - looking at $500.00. GOOD GOD it's expensive to live in CA!!! :P

Hmm Arnie might fix that, since he is going to have a massive bill for his Hummer! ha ha

Not that I think Arnie should be the governor, I have no opinion on that....

Iwan

Heck - you guys got it easy. Yearly registration on a new $30,000 vehicle in Colorado runs about $800.

That's less than 3%...In CA it's well over 10% now. :S
Make light!

Heh. I moved to FL just in time. :ph34r:

In Fl, the license tag fee is a road use tax. It is based on vehicle weight. A big semi truck weighs more than a porche and wears the road more, so the truck pays more tax. My Saturn tag is $45 a year.

Someone told me that in Calif that the tax is based on value of the car. Is this true?

Man! that is cheap...I just got renewed here in Texas and it was $55, sadly that is only good for one year though.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Someone told me that in Calif that the tax is based on value of the car. Is this true?

Yes, this is true. I did mis-type the percentage though, it's not over 10%, but it's close to it. It's a formula based along a 66.6% of some other value, directly tied into the value of the car (depending on when/where it was purchased)...
Make light!

Umm.... No, that's not it. I don't know what the math is exactly but the $600 bill came for my car, which is due in November (so it's at the higher rate) and the car was about $28,000 new.

So it's high, but not as high as Colorado.
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

>Why should a small, expensive car pay more than a less expensive
> vehicle of the same size?

Same reason you pay more sales tax on a small, expensive car than on a less expensive vehicle of the same size. (Not saying it's right, but it is the idea behind every sales tax in the US.)

Why should a small, expensive car pay more than a less expensive vehicle of the same size? Fees for road use are not being based on road use.

Same reason taxes go up as your income goes up (loopholes and shelters notwithstanding): You can afford it.

If you've got all that money to throw at a Porsche, you can pay the taxes. I've still got the same POS Jeep I got when I moved here 8 years ago. With the depreciation schedule, I'll be paying ~30% of the baseline.

Don't forget - the luxury tax portion of this (the VLF is all luxury tax since it's based on the value of the vehicle) is deductible on your federal income tax. Check with your tax guy.

What am I saying? I'm talking to skydivers, the majority of who don't even pay their taxes!!

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.