AggieDave

Who has not jumped a C-182?

I've been thinking about this for a little while. With the availability of turbine aircraft all over the country, I'm thinking that a lot of folks are missing out on the joys of jumping a 182. Personally, I think they're a lot of fun to jump, yeah they're slow-ish, yeah, they're small, yeah only 4 people can jump at a time, but damnit, I think they're fun. Infact a large majority of my jumps have been out of various 182s. I still enjoy turbines, but there's just something about a 182 (and a 182 DZ) that is a blast!

So, have you jumped a 182?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've been thinking about this for a little while. With the availability of turbine aircraft all over the country, I'm thinking that a lot of folks are missing out on the joys of jumping a 182. Personally, I think they're a lot of fun to jump, yeah they're slow-ish, yeah, they're small, yeah only 4 people can jump at a time, but damnit, I think they're fun. Infact a large majority of my jumps have been out of various 182s. I still enjoy turbines, but there's just something about a 182 (and a 182 DZ) that is a blast!

So, have you jumped a 182?

Define a lot.

I had an interesting experience a few weeks ago at my home DZ, where we have a 182.

We had a girl visiting from the Ranch, where she had just graduated AFF but was still on student status. We worked it out that I would jump with her, and we got to talking about the plane and the exit.

She could NOT believe that all she had to do was climb out on the step and just let go, that she'd already be in the relative wind in a good body position, and that she wouldn't have to jump sideways (like in an AFF poised exit from an otter) or turn, like a floater exit from an otter.

When we got on the ground, she kept telling me how much she like exiting the cessna...it was so easy. She is a smaller girl, so I can imagine how a floater exit would be a gymnastic move for her.

182's certainly put a student in the right body position from the get-go!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I also have never jumped a 182 but I realy realy want to, infact I am planing a trip towards aggie land for that very reason;; among others. I once had planed on hitting up my local turbine DZ during the slow weak with intentions of getting in the small plane and when I arived we had a full otter load...:S

.:skip

Have jumped a 182. We have one for static line students and for people doing hopnpops. Its also nice durring the week because you dont need as many people to keep the plane going. Can get up in the air with just a friend or 2 rather than needing a lot of people to put up the king air.

From time to time there is more than one 182 sitting out on the field, seems pilots like to fly to our dz rather than drive.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Hundreds. They are personal, comfortable (most of the time) and I really feel like I've come home. There are days when I'd just as soon ride in a Cessna with 3 friends and have conversations and great 4-way from 8k or 10K than load up on the Otter (not often, just sometimes)

Also, we all knew how to spot well as a result.

How many people out there could spot a load?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

A lot is what you think of it. For me, I say a lot since probably atleast 85% of my jumps have been from 182s. So that puts it at about around 600 jumps from a 182.

Someone with 100 jumps that has 25 from a 182 would think that they have a lot of jumps from a 182, and they do. Everything is relative. B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I did two of my tandems out of a 182. I was so scared of that little plane. I did not like it at all. I was glad that the dz I went to for AFF had something bigger.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

I started out on c182s.. i still like jumping the occasionally, especially wingsuit out of them.. going out backwards out of a 182 (i.e. facing the tail and pushing off) actually makes the exit feel sorta like a heli exit.. you actually fall before you start to fly.. TB99 did his first Cessna jump at ballunar out of a 206.