kkeenan

Locating Lost Jumpers

There have been some discussions about landing out and carrying a cell phone for help. Something I have thought about is a grid map of the DZ area. If a large aerial photo of the DZ area is lined off in a grid with numbered squares, it would be a great aid to communication. If folks carried a small card with the same grid photo on it, they would be able to tell the DZ, or EMS how to get to them or to a landing accident, etc. That is assuming that the local EMS folks have the same map.

We recently had an incident in Lake Wales where something like that would have been incredibly useful. When you're in the middle of nowhere with unmarked roads and paths, it's very hard to communicate your location, even if you are talking to someone.

Kevin K.

Billvon Question: Is it possible to use the frequency of the radio in an aircraft to locate the frequency of a cell phone as a homing beacon?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

>Is it possible to use the frequency of the radio in an aircraft to locate
>the frequency of a cell phone as a homing beacon?

ADF frequencies in an aircraft works from ~200-1700KHz. Cellphones operate either in cellular (800mhz) or PCS (1900mhz) bands. So short answer - no.

On the other hand, if you wanted to carry a portable NDB and turn it on once you landed, the airplane might have a shot at finding you!

Thanks to you and Mike. During night jumps we have search sectors and have everyone turn their cell phone ringers on high in case we have to look for someone and they aren't able to dial. Just thought I'd ask since there seems to be a good idea going on here. Very good thread.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

the effectiveness would vary based on the geography of the DZ. It's probably more trouble than gain for the DZs I know. Most are wide open and free of cover. Hollister would be a good candidate as there are several typical out targets north of the LZ and because of the housing in between you're a ways off.

The places without good landmarks - it will be nearly as difficult for the off lander to know where he is, esp if the reason it is an off injury landing is a reserve deploy. The whistle and "East of the LZ" may be more effective.

And of course for those people who are hopeless with maps, could they send the EMS off course with bad information? (but is bad info worse than no info?)

I think a few newer cellphones have built in GPS and can provide 911 dispatchers with your location.

Yeah my cell phone does that, just found that out after i called in an accident for my friend.

it goes into "Network GPS mode" and makes this cool little sound and shows a map of where they are relative to my location...never knew my phone did that...ha
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Transponders?

Moutaineers have been using them for some time. as a professional ski patroller I was required to wear one at all times in case I ever became lost or buried in an avalanche.

Have we really got to the point that skydivers need beacons?

Not directed to the OP just a general question.

Cell phones are only helpful if you can use them and know where you are.

ELTs for all?

I'm not sure if this is a local thing but where I jump, at least the local, ambulances use maps with numbered sectors. We have a few copies of these to use in emergencies. It was I who bought them cause I thought it was a really good idea, but 5 years later I'm still not aware of a single occasion when they have actually been used ...

/Martin

>Cell phones are only helpful if you can use them and know where you are.

Well, as someone else pointed out:

1) most cellphones nowadays have aGPS or some other locating service - it's an e911 requirement in many places. Call 911 and your location appears on their monitor.

2) if you are looking for someone who's incapacitated, you can call their phone and listen for the ring.

So what is the big deal? If its not a cross-country jump we don't leave lets say 5 km radius of the airport, so our ground person can see if someone is landing out.

How often do you land out? Jumping with an emergency bacon sounds like jumping with a floatation device in the desert.

What about wingsuits? Not trying bring on any more regulations but last time we did a night flock, my DZ required us to have cell phones. I think this was a great idea. If in the right location it could be easier to loose your berrying when flying a suit that has a possible 2-4 mile radius. Its nice to have a contact no matter what particular jump you are doing or what time of day it is taking place at.

On the other hand, if you wanted to carry a portable NDB and turn it on once you landed, the airplane might have a shot at finding you!

Unless like most of the planes in which I've recently been, it doesn't have an ADF!
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

>Unless like most of the planes in which I've recently been, it doesn't have an ADF!

Clearly the planes you are renting are far too snooty for DZ usage. A good DZ aircraft has (at most) one working VHF radio, an ADF, a yellowed plastic instrument panel bezel with INOP stickers all over it, and a $99 GPS attached to the yoke that someone bought on Ebay.

(joke, that was a joke people)

A good DZ aircraft has (at most) one working VHF radio, an ADF, a yellowed plastic instrument panel bezel with INOP stickers all over it,

Usually the stuff behind the INOP sticker includes the ADF. A good operation will just remove all that stuff to save weight.

I remember flying some jumpers for a demo in a 206. After I let them out, ATC was giving me some headings to fly to avoid traffic. Of course, all the gyro instruments had been removed (and there was even a 337 for the removal) and I had to rely on the mag compass. Glad I teach that stuff on a regular basis to keep current!
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."