AggieDave

Pranks on whuffos

I just posted this in a different thread, but I thought it'd be fun to start a new thread to get the topic going.

What have you done to screw with whuffos?

Here's one of my favorites.

Get everyone in the car/truck to wear their helmet and goggles when going through a drive through. It works best if its a car with 4+ jumpers in it and the driver has a camera mounted on his/her helmet.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

well not a whuffo, but a first jump student who hadn't jumped yet.

i gave them a gear check and was pulling on his riser, i kinda checked it over and the pulled out a pair of scissors and cut a closing loop i had, threw it over his shoulder and walked away hahahaha
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Geez, I am glad you guys are not jumping in Cali. . .I am making my first AFF jump in 2 weeks and don't need anyone freaking me out. . .ROFLMAO

Too funny though. . .;)
FGF #6
Darcy

my new favorite prank goes like this:

a big guy comes in to do a tandem. i put on the tandem rig...walk up to the student and introduce myself as the tandem master. i usually say something about how when we leave the plane, i'll need them to help me out and throw the drogue because i can't reach it.

after they react, i then introduce them to their real tandem instructor!

Since I work manifest, this is always the best:

I talk to the tandem passangers and say, "Oh man are you sure? I work here and it scares the crap out of me, I should know I have seen lots of people, um nevermind..." Then I let them try and "talk me into it" and then I say, ok I guess so, but only if I can go lone, and then I ask someone nearby if I can "use their gear" when it really is my gear...of course it always works best when they know what you are doing. Then I have them "help me" put it on. I then get in the plane and at 5000ft start to freak out and open the door and yell" I am outta here!" and then fall out kicking and screaming...Yeah ok so I did this one time and the pilot knew all about it, but it was really funny...and it was the tandem's second tandem so they didn't freak out too much...

Not something I did but it was funny as hell. Winds were 15+mph so I was grounded so I wandered around watching tandems. I see JC giving the tandem jump course to an elderly lady ~ 60's and two 20ish people. The TM tells the lady that on the plane ride up she will be stitting in his lap, she said something to the order of him being frisky on the ride up. Heheh I about died.

Or one of the TM's walked up to a student and said "so who are you jumping with?" student replied with "OH Im jumping with _____", The TM says "I'm sorry" and walked away. Bwahaha.

edited to add.

Also one of the TMs was saying that a student was in the plane ready for exit screaming "no, no, no, no, no," but all the TM heard was "Go,Go,Go,Go,Go". hehe

Along those same lines...my first tandem..they gave me shit the entire day (as if I weren't anxious enough!)...I asked the instructor what the bumpy thing in my suit was..she said it's a rosary for when you kiss your ass goodbye...then, they asked who my TM was and I told them..they said, hey wasn't he the one that rolled in a 6 this morning a mega hangover..next after I duckwalked to the exit and was ready to go..someone yelled "oh..wait!"..too late for whatever it was! I have gullable all over my face!:S

My TM said on the plane that he couldn't get the hooks on the harness to work..couldn't get the left one, "oh well"..then after deploying the canopy, he unhooked 2 of the 4 hooks..he said it was more comfortable. I said "for WHO? I'm not so comfortable right now..as I dangle 5K over the earth by only 2 hooks keeping us together!" YIKES[:/]

we did something like that when i was getting some canopy coaching at eloy..since we were doing a H&P we were sitting in the door on a load full of tandems...instead of getting up and doing a 'proper' exit we started to argue, fight then rolled out the door wrestling....the priceless moment was when one of the students said "those guys are going to fall out if they dont........" B|

By brother ( the bigger guy in the family)and I were on our second tandem the JM started loosening the hooks under canopy and said that he wouldn't let me fall much. I told him that that was ok. If I bounced my brother would be on the ground waiting for him. He said "Oh" and was very quiet and focused the rest of the way down. He obviously took it more seriously than I.

On a cloudy day I was shooting a video of a tandem. I was talking with the TM about the cloud cover and that we might have to search for a hole. The student noticed our concern and asked "What happens if we hit a cloud" Without missing a beat I told her that it is really no big deal, we just would walk to the side and jump off and continue on. I don't think she figured it out until much later over a beer. Beer must make us smarter?

Years ago when I was in college, I worked as an
Instructor at a good sized DZ in the Midwest...

We had a fairly new Wuffo pilot, trying to built hours.

The guy was wound a little to tight and really
needed to loosen up a bit,
especially considering the skydiving environment
of the late 70's. :|

The DZO was a real laid back, funny guy with an unusual
and dry sense of humor, to say the least!

One morning, a young black guy signs up for
the staticline course...
An anomaly back then.

I was in the hangar, teaching him along with a class
of 8-10 other newbies...
When I overhear the new pilot ask the DZO
why you don't often see
Afro-Americans involved in the sport...

The DZO answered,"Too many rednecks I guess..."
And slyly winking at me told the pilot,
"I don't care if Twardo runs the class...
Just don't let him put that guy out...
His old man is a "Grand-Dragon!" :o

With a concerned look my way,
the pilot nodded in agreement. :)

Later that afternoon..
In the rush at the end of the day to get
all the students jumped,
our wuffo pilot hero...
Didn't really notice until I had closed the door
on the 182 that the smaller student I had placed
behind his seat was indeed the gentleman
earlier discussed...

The "OH SHIT" look on his face was priceless!!! ;)

I could see concerned hesitation in his eyes...
As I patted his shoulder saying,
"Come on.. let's go, 3 more loads before it gets dark!"

...After putting the first three students out
on separate passes,
we're coming around again setting up for jump run.

As I'm guiding the last student into position,
the pilot for the first time ever...
Reaches over and opens the Velcro flap
on his backpack, and studies the static-line
and break cord configuration...

It seemed like he was doing this for my benefit
more than anything else,
since I'm sure he had no idea what he was
looking at anyway...
Could've been welded shut and he wouldn't have
known the difference!

Final corrections given, student poised on the step,
I'm squatting in the jumpmaster position
as I yell over the noise starting the count...

REMEMBER...HARD ARCH...!

READY.....!

SET.......!

I look to the pilot...
Handing him the unhooked end of a static line
from one of the prior students...told him;

"Hold this!"

Then returned my attention to the student...
"GOOOOO!!!!"

The student in question, totally unaware
any of this was going on
performed flawlessly!

And stuck around to become a talented regular...
Had a couple hundred jumps there when I finally
graduated school and moved on.

The Skydiverdriver loosened up considerably
in the weeks after!
Often even joining us at the mockup for 'safety meetings'
when jump operations concluded.

;)B|:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

The first time you did that with me, the guy's reaction was PERFECT...stared for a second and then said "Oh my goodness...", in a tone that said "You gotta be FUCKIN' KIDDING"!

Iceman
Doctor I ain't gonna die,
Just write me an alibi! ---- Lemmy/Slash

Usually with tandems on the walk to the plane, I'll scoot over, greet them. Look at the tandem master and either say

"Did you remember to take your meds?"

-or-

"did you get the message, your parole officer called"

and walk away. ;)

Is a chicken omelette redundant?