Jumper4Jesus

Own a motorcycle?

Hey Guys!
I really would like to get a motorcyle after college (when I actually have money). I love the feeling of the wind rushing at me, with skydiving and being on a motorcycle.
I went to Sturgis this summer and I had a blast seeing all the bikes and meeting bikers. I even got a few rides from people!B|
What do you you think is the best way to learn how to ride a motorcycle? ( with no boyfriend rider to teach you?!)
Sarah

Ok for the first time a post I know something about.

First do you know how do drive a stick if you do that’s a plus I just added this part it’s not that you have a stick but it is the same concept. They have courses that do teach how to ride and they are worth it.
Start with a really low CC bike like a 250 road bike. And movie up gradually don’t jump to a 1000 right away, but after you get comfortable with the 250 then you should go something with some balls not too much but enough. In bikes your speed saves your ass a lot.
If you have any questions PM me I’ll be glad to try and answer them for you. Good luck.
Oh yea and even if your state has a no helmet law ware a helmet it has saved my life more then once.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

take a course...it will save your life....no need to start with a 250cc......but I wouldnt start with a 750cc/1000cc super bike either...there are many nice med size street bikes to learn with...again..research courses avaible to you, and make a informed decission after learning the basics.

It helps to learn how to ride a dirt bike first. Riding a dirt bike you will learn how to slide and you will not panic when you hit oil or loose gravel on the street then, you will know how to deal with it. And learning how to ride in the dirt you don't have to worry about any cagers(automoble drivers) trying to kill you in the process.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

if you're going to spend any time on a bike, get your left wrist in shape... Seriously..... at times on the bike, I'm on it for so long day in day out that my wrist will actually lock up and almost refuse to throw the clutch, at which point it is mind over matter... and watch out for shoe laces,, nothin sucks worse than getting a lace caught in your shifter at a red light turning green.

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

Sarah-
See if you can find the number for the local ABATE chapter. They do motorcycle safety courses with some community colleges over a weekend. Here's some other sources specific to South Dakota for you that I found:

*Mr. Rick Kiley, South Dakota Safety Council, 3211 S Carolyn Ave., Sioux Falls, SD 57106. Phone 605-361-7785.
*RiderCourse Information: 800-952-5539

Source

edit to add: Abate of South Dakota

Hey Sarah...cool SN...anyhow, I would start with a 250 cc motorcycle and then move on up to a larger bike but ONLY after a motorcycle safety course. My 15 y/o son started on a 250 and now he rides my CBR600 superbike.

The secret to life is not arriving at the grave in a well preserved body but sliding in sideways completely worn out yelling "holy crap" what a ride!!!

Take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's beginner's course. They teach you the whole thing -- shifting, steering, going through gravel, bumps -- on someone else's bike, so if you scratch it you won't cry. It's awesome.

Then if you buy, buy something that you can very comfortably straddle with your feet flat on the ground, and that doesn't feel like it's close to your edge of strength to hold up if you find that the ground is uneven, and one foot goes into a hole (i.e. you won't fall over at a stoplight when one foot goes into a pothole -- that would be hugely embarrassing).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm shopping for a bike now. Had one 10 years ago, haven't ridden since. The mayors election yesterday made up my mind. (That and seeing 10k Harleys going through town for Toys for Tots the other day). It was either buy a house in the city or buy a Harley. Since the guy who won will continue driving people out I'm going to keep renting and get a bike.

All good suggestions above. I used to ride but haven't in awhile so I'm going to take a safety course myself again, first. And don't buy a new bike....you will drop it at some point and you won't be as upset if you scratch up a used one.

I took a course for $150 call 1-800 cc-rider in 1994(? if still exist)
That included DMV testing, the bike.
They must have loved you in Sturgis! har har
Want else did you see there! har har!If your gonna just ride in neighborhoods and never on the highway, just get a scooter, or moped of a sort.

HARLEY...fooking harley, you cannot mutter harley and motorcycle in the same breath.

I hope to god you drop your harley and put it on the scrap heap where it belongs.

Amateur. :P

Edited to add pic - here is a motorbike. This is the same as the one I own.

I just got a a road bike a couple months ago. Honda NightHawk 650B| My recomendation is to not go out and buy the bike of your dreams right away. Get yourself a starter bike with not to much engine. Something easy to learn on. A bike you can re-sell after a year or two when you have a better idea about it all.

..then go buy yourself a sick ass bimmer bikeB|

Edited to add pic - here is a motorbike. This is the same as the one I own.cbr600fx.

That's not a bike, it's a toy, like my last street bike, an FZR600.

My last REAL bike, the reason my wife said "Skydiving-yes, Bike-no" was a Blackbird. CBR 1100XX. All I can still say about this bike, WOW!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

you cannot compare the fzr to the cbr, different class.

Blackbird - big heavy machine for old people who like going slow in corners!!!!!

Only joking they are bloody fast bike got two mates with em, another two with a busa and a ninja 12. They are for experienced riders with big hairy dangley ones, I only have a couple years experience not ready for a beast like that yet.

So you say REAL bike what you got now? or are you one them " I USED to have a...." :P

Great info from all these folks.....and the MSF course is a must.

And "ride like you're invisible"....it'll help you avoid potential hazards before they occur.

Have fun, and stay safe. :)

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

So you say REAL bike what you got now? or are you one them " I USED to have a...." :P

Yep, it's gone. The hard way. One of those "The bike stopped and I didn't" superman type stunts.

Head on into a 97 Ford Taurus, driven by a 74 year old grandma. Lot's of roadrash, a few deep cuts, and alot of bruises. I got very lucky, for the second time.

That's when the wife said I could jump all I wanted, as long as I swore to never buy another bike.

I still borrow 'em though, just don't tell her. ;)
It's your life, live it!

I got a 2001 Yamaha R6 a little over a year ago, it was my first bike. I bought all the proper gear and took the MSF. I love her soooo much. I tried riding her to the DZ once but for some reason riding to the DZ in traffic, then jumping all day, then riding back home in traffic seemed to be pushing it a bit.;) Me loves my bike!!

P.S

ride like you're invisible

That is a crucial piece of advice, it has saved me before. Also can apply to flying your canopy too :)
Also just so you know if you get a Harley. Harley's are the best way to convert gas into noise with the least amount of horse power...B|

Me loves my bike!!

So did I, but just like skydiving, don't get complacent. That's when it's gonna reach up and smack ya sillyB|, or worse[:/].

And Mike, you ain't shittin' it hurts! Pretty much every morning, and the 2nd (and last) accident was 3 years ago.
It's your life, live it!

Bahhhh....That's a crotch rocket, not a motorcycle. Harley defines motorcycle, always has, always will. I want something I can cruise around on, customize to suit me, and enjoy. Not a back breaking, cookie cutter, death wish.

EDIT TO ADD:
Here's the one I'm thinking of getting...now THAT's a bike.