JRock

Who has inspired you the most in Skydiving?

For me, I guess the complete dull and gray of my
perception contibuted to my skydiving cause...
Maybe I should be on medication to brighten my
day, but its just not my thing!! I just wanna get
my "A" License and leave my old ,dull,dorky,dick-head life behind:)

The entire Lake Elsinore team, Joe Jennings, Rob Harris, Patrick De Gayardon, and all the mad other people with winning world class attitude's in the sport.

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

Mine has to be Jim West, our DZO. He taught me so many things about skydiving and life in general it's hard to name them all. Some of them are:
1. Even when you have 17,000 jumps, you still have fun and learn more on every dive.
2. Don't let people step on you, do what you need to and you'll prove yourself.
3. Land on the dropzone. ;)
4. I'm spoiled with that damn Casa. B|

Edited to add: That guy's the best damn pilot I've ever flown with, too.

Other than that, I'd have to say all the really great flyers I've jumped with since I started. Steve-O, Bill Hughes, the Gravity Pirates, Luis Prinetto just to name a few. It's amazing to watch those guys fly with you, and then try to base your flying off of them. Thanks everybody!! B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

No, no, no! First of all it isn't impressing - it was inspiring! There is a difference. This isn't a who would you want to bang list! These are the people who have made me want to do something more, go a little further, make some kind of change. It just happens that I've worked around some excellent dropzones and gotten to meet and jump with some people who are not only excellent at what they do but good people! I know plenty of excellent fliers and swoopers that if they were the only ones I knew I'd seriously consider giving up skydiving because of their attitudes.

Jay was just another random tandem instructor when I met him. Heath was just another guy working for monkeyclaw and Gillian is just a girl I know who likes to fly.

It has nothing to do with their images - it's who they are that is inspiring.

My greatest inspiration came in the form of a man named.... Alistair Hodgson
Many of us do have the opportunity to train and jump with some of the best flyers in the world, for this we are truely fortunate.
Not often however, do we have the opportunity to meet someone that touches our lives in such a profound way. Alistair came to Eloy last year with somewhere around 600 jumps, and just learning to freefly. Today Alistair and his teammates are gold medal winners in the Intermediate Class in the UK. What is so remarkable about that? Well Al and his teammate Swifty, are both double amputees. I wrote an article some time ago that you may enjoy reading. article
You will also find Al's photo in my galley as well as on the cover of Para Mag. If you are ever blessed with making his aquaintence, you will certainly understand why he is my most inspirational.

Hey Betsy...

Don't know if you remember me or not but thanks for pulling me aside in May and putting me at the back of the Otter on my first jump at Eloy. You could tell I was a pup in this sport with 30 jumps and nervous about visiting a new huge DZ.

:)

Hey Betsy...

Don't know if you remember me or not but thanks for pulling me aside in May and putting me at the back of the Otter on my first jump at Eloy. You could tell I was a pup in this sport with 30 jumps and nervous about visiting a new huge DZ.

How could I forget a face like that!:)
Hope that you can come back out soon.
Cheers!
BB

Roger Nelson for teaching me the importance of safety while still having fun. I'm lucky to have SDC as my home.

Sugar Gliderz & Lewmonst for showing the world that chicks can fly!!

Betty Bennett my mentor right off student status. She's the reason i'm still jumping today.

Jim & Lee West for welcoming me into their DZ and making me part of the SGC family.

Trevor Hill for spending his time jumping with me teaching me that headdown stuff.

Phreezone for really getting though to me about the importance of canopy control and the dangers of downsizing too quickly. (I guess Jerm gets credit for that too).

Petey Poo for showing me what not to do...;)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Without a doubt John, Pete, Steve,Tom (and Toby) of Sebastian XL. Not only for what they do in the air but for who they are on the ground.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Well pretty much everyone at Eloy; Jeffro, TJ, Greg, Omar, Amy, Yoko, Keith, Dusty, Stephan and Betsy... I haven't had the privilage of jumping with Betsy yet, but she always helps out and that is awesome! It is rare to find someone willing to help you out no matter how stubborn you sometimes get. (I know I can be very stubborn person) However, she always manages to look past that and help out anways. She rocks! So does the rest of the Eloy crew! I love you guys and gals!

Peggy Ryan inspired me the most. She was a lady I worked with. Me, her and another girl from work decided we wanted to go skydiving. We did AFF for our first jump. (I have no idea why).

Anyway, I hated my first jump. When my JM was telling me about level 2, I just looked at him like you're nuts if you think I'm gonna throw myself out of an airplane again. Peggy wanted to go back and do level 2 so I said hey, I'll give it another shot since Peggy had such a great time on her skydive I must have missed something. Needless to say, 1400+ jumps later I am still skydiving. Unfortunately Peggy suffered from manic depression and passed away a few years later after I moved. I miss her.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

This is one reason why this sport is so cool, T.J. flew camera on my AIF#1, my instructor was Tony Landgren, TJ's dad, who is a major influence in my skydiving. There are so many others, starting with Mike Beardsly,Gary Fuches,Jared Miller, and the list could go on & on!
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

I've always looked up to Dan Brodsky. I met him in person last year at Eloy. You'd think someone that famous wouldn't even have time to talk to us pee-ons, but he went out of his way to visit and even show us a few things pertaining to jumping. I admire his courage to return to jumping after losing so many friends in the plane crash at Perris, almost dieing himself, and then going on to reach the highest levels in our sport.....Steve1

And finally Gillian Parker because she's gotten so good in such a short period of time that it gives me hope that if I ever find someone at the same DZ as me who will just buckle down and pound out a bunch of jumps that I can grow in leaps in bounds as well. If you don't know who she is, you will someday soon because she's bound to make a name for herself.

Holy Shit, Wendy! I just saw this, and I don't think I have ever been more flattered! ...well, maybe when my friend's 4-year-old said I looked like a cupcake, because cupcakes are beautiful...er...but I digress!

What all of you should know is that Wendy was one of the first 'experienced' jumpers that gave enough of a shit to teach me something new. She took me on 2 of my first headdown dives ever. Her and Patel. You see, I viewed Wendy as the bad-ass, beautiful, strong female freeflier-type that I aspired to become. Plus, she swoops! ;)
Get yourself a Velocity, Wendy!
Girl, you are one that inspired me! :$ Any chance I ever have to share the skies with you, my dear, is a great day, indeed! I am soooo grateful for your gracious compliment! Anytime you can set aside a weekend to "pound out a bunch of jumps," it will be GAME ON!

g

Who inspired me?

Wyat Drewes- for not treating me like a 'newbie' when he met me at 75 jumps. He made me believe that ANYTHING was possible in skydiving, and taught by example that some of the greatest joys come from teaching others.

PD Swoop Team- Heath, Jay, Bobo, and Shannon. I mean, c'mon! Is that stuff really possible? I still keep looking for the special effects team that must be following them! Ability combined with hearts of gold. They have all helped me in one way or another, and they have helped countless others, as well, for no other reason than because they are in a position to.

BendyWendy Waller- for taking the time to teach me some new things, at a time when others were 'too experienced' to help me, and I was too proud to beg, too poor to pay. She is the consummate professional (until the beer light is on :P) and an incredible friend.

the Sugar Gliderz- I really can't get into why (too many words) other than I would not be able to do even a fraction of what I am capable of today were it not for their vision of unifying the women in freeflying with the upcoming record.

Spaceland Anomaly- the story book The Little Engine That Could was actually written about these guys. I wish everyone could have the opportunity to jump with Trent, Jed, and Stevie!

Libby Smith- for mentoring me. Wow. This woman has class and can fly her ass off.

More-
TJ Landgren, Nathan Gilbert, Hunter Roberts, Stan Gray, Chris Fiala, Sean MacCormac, Thomas Hughes- Everyone of these individuals has made me fly beyond perceived limitations and made my learning curve 'spike.'

Trevor Hill- for believing in me, for teaching me, for loving me.

I have found inspiration EVERYWHERE in this sport, but these are just those I have jumped with. I really could go on forever, but I will spare you all.

I think that about does it.

g