skymama

How skydiving changed my life

Now that you all have so nicely welcomed me into the family, I thought I would tell you about how my life changed in the past year from skydiving. It's monumental!
Feb. 2000, I was feeling a little old because I was turning 35. (Although, in my defense, I still get carded occasionally!) I was the typical soccer/PTA/Girl Scout Leader mom, who looked the part in my little skort and conservative shirt outfits. I had also gained a few pounds over the years-a size 14, but I'm tall. Anyway, I was talking to my daughter's 5th grade teacher, who jumps, and he was telling me about the great jumps he had over that weekend. All the sudden I just told him I wanted to go. We set the weekend for 3 weeks later, when my husband and kids were out of town. I didn't tell anyone so I wouldn't be embarrassed if I chickened out. In that 3 weeks, I lost 10 pounds due to nerves! It literally scared the shit out of me!:)So, obviously, I did the tandem and loved it. I showed my video around and EVERYONE was just astounded that it was me. Well, I was hooked, talked my husband into spending our tax refund on my student training, and it all began. I was still very nervous about 3 days before every jump, and would lose a little more weight each time. Then, I purposely started watching my diet. Long story short- I lost 53 pounds last year!!! I am now a size 8/10, grew my hair long and let my natural curls fly. And now my shorts are shorter, jeans are tighter, and tops are more low-cut!:)Oh, and my whole outlook and perspective on life has totally changed too. I know now that it wasn't enough for me to do for everyone else. I am a much happier mom and wife now. And, my confidence has soared! People tell me besides physically looking different, they can tell that emotionally I am different too. They tell me my eyes just sparkle all the time now. I've always been a smart-ass but usually just around friends. Now, I am all the time, and nobody walks over me. I figure, if I can get a skydiving license at my ripe old age, then I can do anything, so who the hell are you to tell me what to do! All my friends and family are thrilled with the new "me" except for my mom-she hates it! Sorry mom, this girl's having a ball!
Someday, maybe I'll tell you about the jump that could have killed me, and the one that made me stop. Anyone else have any good stories to tell?

You go!!! That is a great story. I love your posts because they are so passionate. I think that is one of the things that we all see is that our skydiving makes us more likely to live our lives with the carefree attitude that makes like fun. Besides you are not old unless you are willing to sit on the couch and stay there.
Blue Skys and Safe Landings
Albatross

Wow!! That was so cool! Geez, here I am trying desperately to save up to jump AFF, just hanging out on the forum in the mean time. Then I read posts like that and it drives me crazy!! I want to jump soooo bad!!! Keep 'em coming Skymama, and everybody else too! I have no will power whatsoever and it's really hard for me to just put money away, but posts like that are really inspiring me. I haven’t stolen from my skydiving stash yet, and I ain’t gonna, either! One word of advice, don’t stop jumping, EVER! I know all about what you said about your whole perspective on life changing. When I jumped the first time I felt like I was the greatest person on the face of the earth. It wasn’t like an ego thing or nothing like that, more like I sincerely felt sorry for the billions of people in the world who had no clue what it felt like. The sad truth is, if you don’t keep up with your dreams (jumping!), that perspective fades. I want it back, damn it!
Blue Skies forever! - Josh

That is a very cool story, Mama! So I guess now you are one "hot" mama?! Congratulations! I think skydiving has changed all of our lives! I know I am much happier now...
Happy jumping!
Sis
"What we're all really seeking is something where we can feel the rapture of being alive."J.Campbell

*Sky Mama*
You know reading what you had written was absolutely awesome. It reminded me of a story from Chicken Soup for the Unsinkable Soul...if you have read it, you may know of a story titled "I was thirty-Seven years old at the time" It lists amazing feats women have taken and what age they accepted these awards and accomplishments ranging from, 37, 46, 76, 71, and so forth. The author of this story then writes "you can tell yourself these people started out as exeptional. You can tell yourself they had influence before they started. You can tell yourself the conditions under which they achieved were different fromy ours. Or you can be like a woman I knew who sat at her kitchen window year after year and watched everyone else do it and then said to herself, "it's my turn" The author then adds I was thirty-seven at the time.
Even now I get teary eyed re-reading it as I type it to you. It's never too late to start anything, or to learn anything. I am always asking other jumpers when they started...I am always astounded at how it has totally transformed their lives. I mean for me, I almost say it was a given...I was raised around planes and at the Dz, so when I was 18 I jumped. But I always find it so amazing how people have totally different paths and we all meet on the same one when we jump. And it is just an awesome awesome family too...I thank you for sharing your story.
Your oneof the reasons why I stay in skydiving

**BLUE ONES**

BITE ME.... :P

Skymama, all I can say is "WHOOHOOO, you go, girl"! And maybe I'll grow my hair long, too!
When you and I were teenagers, "Keep on truckin'" was a popular saying... well now I feel good about saying to you "Keep on flyin'"!!!
Frank

Frank-
Your post made me laugh, and it brought back memories for me. My dad was worried about me driving across the country to college in my light blue pinto,(oh, it was so awful!) so he gave me a cb radio for my car, and I would talk to all the truckers along the way!

You all are so nice! My only reason for posting my story, was in the hope of being able to inspire someone out there to light the fire in their soul and change their life if they feel they need it. I learned that I was too complacent, but didn't realize it at the time. Only looking back now can I see that. We all need to move outside of our comfort zones from time to time. And now looking back at the weight gain that I had, I realize that I was turning to food for comfort instead of fueling my soul. I always heard Oprah say that it's not what you're eating, but it's what is eating you. Now, except for having chocolate cravings, I never turn to food. I don't ever care about what I eat now-it's purely fuel to run my body.
And it's funny that when I quit jumping for awhile because I got freaked, whuffos would tell me to find something else to fill my emptiness. I would just smile and ask them what would compare to skydiving? It's not like gardening or playing bridge is going to be quite the same! I guess I knew deep inside that I had to come back. I've had my second job since last June for my parachute fund, and I never quit it, and wouldn't spend the money that I had saved (except for on the new wardrobe I had to have after losing all that weight). Someone even offered to sell my stuff for me, and I said no way. All at the same time that I was insisting that I wasn't going to jump again!
My skydiving friend told me the same thing over and over, everytime I would come up with all the reasonable and practical reasons why I shouldn't jump again, knowing that I was miserable. He would just interrupt me and say, "face your fears, live your dreams". That shut me up every time, because I knew he was right!
Blue Skies, everyone!
Andrea

What an inspiration Skymama! Congratulations to you for having the courage to continue fighting for your dreams! One wise man told me a long time ago that you have to make YOU happy first and the rest will fall into place. He was so right.
Pammi

Hi SkyMama,
I started jumping at 34, on my own, because it was something I had always wanted to try. But no one would ever go with me. Finally, I was at this point when it was like I was waiting to live my own life, and I asked myself, why? and what was I waiting for?
The dz was advertising pretty heavily that summer on the radio, and I finally called, got the brochure and made the appointment for my first tandem. I really thought I would just do the one, but when I got there, something about the whole place just felt like home. My first jump was on a Tuesday morning. I called the next day and asked what I needed to do if I wanted to go again, and they told me just show up, so I did, the following Saturday, and bought 2 more tandems.
I was hooked, started the AFP program the following weekend, and jumped every weekend until the weather pooped out in November, and then I still showed up almost every weekend, just hoping for the chance to jump.
So how did it change my life? I feel like I've been reliving my 20s in my 30s, and having a lot of fun. It's made me more confident, but also more likely to tell off my boss when he or she had it coming. I've also made good true friends, people I never would have met if I wasn't jumping.
Your husband sounds awesome. I've always felt that it is harder for girls to have whuffo boyfriends and husbands because on top of everything else (expense, and the time commitment), there is a jealousy factor involved, and some guys are just plain intimidated by the fact that a woman is doing something they are afraid to do. Sounds like your guy is a keeper!
It was great to hear your story! Welcome back to the skies!

I've been listening to Rage's version of "Renegades of Funk" addictively lately. Besides having an absolutely killer groove, the words strike a chord with me...
No matter how hard you try, you can't stop us now
No matter how hard you try, you can't stop us now
We're the renegades of this atomic age
This atomic age of renegades
Renegades of this atomic age
This atomic age of renegades
Since the Prehistoric ages and the days of ancient Greece
Right down through the Middle Ages
Planet earth kept going through changes
And then no renaissance came, and times continued to change
Nothing stayed the same, but there were always renegades
Like Chief Sitting Bull, Tom Paine
Dr. Martin Luther King, Malcom X
They were renegades of their time and age
The mighty renegades
Now renegades are the people with their own philosophies
They change the course of history
Everyday people like you and me
We're the renegades we're the people
With our own philosophies
We change the course of history
Everyday people like you and me
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie
Edited by Zennie on 3/29/01 02:16 PM.

cb radio

Andrea, that's hilarious, because I was into CB radio big-time when I was a teenager, too! Now I have FSR walkie talkies for myself, the wife, and the kids!!! And it is good to hear about other skydivers who didn't start jumping until they were in their thirties... I was 36, and had been married for 14 years when I started! You are only as old as you think you are -- it just takes a bit more effort to keep the body working properly when you've accumulated as many years as we have!
Frank

It may be a mid life thing. I started AFF when I was 30 (last year).
The most significant way skydiving has changed my life asside from the obvious financial issues, is that I FEAR NOTHING (except police and insects), lets just say no one. Its hard to talk about, but I used to be very shy and quiet, never took chances, and was extremely complacent with life "as it was". I have found that skydiving has, almost made all the issues that had contributed to my introverted nature secondary, that is to say, I forgot about them. There is much more important things to worry about while in freefall than feelings of inferiority, or stuff like that, and there is no substitute for the feelings of accomplishment. Conquering fear on the scale that is possible with skydiving, IMHO, is extremely beneficial to ones impression of self. It has boosted my self confidence, my self reliance, and has made me a bit more of an extrovert to boot! (I can now boldly hang the middle finger out of the car window while driving and express myself to idiots who had it comming, or otherwise stand up to to more aggressive personalities which was difficult for me before).

Oh my goodness, let me see if I can answer your questions. I haven't figured out how to make that little reply box yet (can someone tell me that?), so here are my answers to you:
wildblue: I screwed up really badly, twice, and cut away once due to pilot error, not a malfunction. Then, I had that guilt of being a mom, partaking in a dangerous sport, and worrying about leaving the kids motherless. I'll tell you all when I get back from vacation and have more time, but all of you who said you would jump with me can't back out on me then because you think I'm a total f**k up!
Tigra-I enjoyed reading your story. I don't know if I could have gone to the DZ totally on my own for the first time.
Zennie-uh...I think we listen to different music!:)Everyone who started in their 30's like me: it's not that I feel old. It hit me when I was filling out a form that I was going to move from the 18-34 demographic to the 35-49 one. THAT made me feel old, but more importantly I asked myself, "would the 18 year old that I was, be happy with me now." And, the answer was no, so I decided to do something about it.
Skreamer-yes, my husband is cool about it and very happy with me skydiving because I am much easier to be around for one thing since jumping puts me in a great mood. He loves my new, sexy look too! He already did a tandem, as did my brother-in-law and mother-in-law, and my mother. They all liked the tandems, but don't want to go so far as doing it on their own. My husband would prefer to scuba dive.
Greg-I SO totally relate with what you wrote. Thanks for sharing!

Zennie-uh...I think we listen to different music! :)

What? I'm gonna be 36 in April. You mean you don't listen to Rage? How 'bout Tool? KoRn? Offspring?;)
It's OK. My wife hates my music too. My kids prolly will as well. "Daaaaaad.... what is that horrible stuff?";)
I trimmed the lyrics down to the salient parts. My point is, we're sort of renegades, and while everyone else may think that's a bad thing, I don't. I've just sort of realized that I'm not the type of person to just go with the grain. I've always been that way. It just took a while to realize that and stop trying to fit into some persona that I'm not.
I work at a big company and I am one of the most-un-big-corporate persons you'll see. I just do my thing (write software) & wear what I want. If they don't like it... tough. Fortunately, my group is cut from similar cloth so I haven't gotten any flak from management. If I ever do. Fine. I bail. No biggie.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie
Edited by Zennie on 3/29/01 02:29 PM.

Zennie, I LOVE Rage. I am so stoked you're into them as well. I listen to a lot of hard core punk, hard rock, ext. but then I also *really* love Jimmy Buffet and Bob Marley and a lot of reggae as well. Rage is one of my absolute favorite bands...too bad about the lead singer leaving. All my favorite bands are forced to split up, like my #1 favorite, SUBLIME!
Anyways.....back to SKYMAMA! WOW! I absolutely love your story. I think a lot of skydivers can relate as far as how it changed our lives. For me, I was severely depressed for over a year. I had a rough childhood but always managed to deal until the summer when I turned 19 a terrible, but all too common thing, happened to me. Anyways, for the entire year after that I had no desire to go on, literally, but my faith in God, kept me from making that ultimate decision. Long story short, on my 20th birthday last summer, I just decided to sign up for AFF. I didn't know anyone at the DZ and didn't meet many until after I graduated b/c I always came on the slow days when there were no fun-jumpers but skydiving itself, instead of giving me a way out, gave me a reason to live. To top that off, as you mentioned in another post, the people are absolutely AMAZING and accepted me right away and I met the man I fell in love with and want to be with for the rest of my life. Everything has changed since then. It's like I'm my old self again and a whole new person at the same time. Your story just makes me love this sport that much more b/c I see what awesome things it does for so many people. Welcome to our world! We all started out from different walks of life before skydiving but somehow we were all chooson to end up here, together, and finally it's like a family who just understands. I'm glad you're a part of it now too! (And I know I've said it before, but I can't wait to meet you here soon!)
Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

when I turned 19 a terrible, but all too common thing, happened to me.

Carrie, it takes a brave person to talk about an experience like that... I'm glad you made the right decision - to continue living, and not let some low-life scum steal your vitality away from you. Skydiving really helps us understand what it means to be alive - to know that we LIVING our lives, not just barely making it thru each day, dreading the next...
SKYDIVE!!! Frank

Zennie, I LOVE Rage. I am so stoked you're into them as well...Rage is one of my absolute favorite bands...too bad about the lead singer leaving. All my favorite bands are forced to split up, like my #1 favorite, SUBLIME!

You have no idea how many of my favorite bands have split up over the years. It sux. I had a feeling the Rage splitup was coming because Zack didn't record TBOLA with the rest of the band. The band recorded all the music and Zack came in later and did the lyrics and singing. That's usually not a good sign. Tom Morello is a God, but Rage isn't Rage without Zack (or Tom).
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'm glad you managed to work through it and see that life is worth living. You're a wonderful person, even if we have political disagreements. ;)
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie