MomDaBomb

Student helmet

Not in the UK it isn't. B license and above for a full face I think.

Really? Why? (just curious)
I wouldn't like to do a two-or-more-way with fellow A-licencees then - too much risk of a split lip while I'm desperately trying to turn points and flailing for stability... :)
Dutch regulations stipulate that a skydiver must wear "a hard helmet" until in possession of their A-licence. From A and above, a leather cap may be worn.
Once you obtain your C, you're free to wear whatever you like, including no head protection at all.

As far as i'm aware of the regulations do not say whether you must wear an open helmet or are free to choose a full face; this is apparently up to the instructor training the student.
For me, it was open helmets until (say) my 85th jump, then I went and bought a full face with thoughts about the cold at altitude in winter.

Before jumping with my brand new aquisition I went and sat on my bed, put it on, and opened and closed the visor loads of times.
Next, I did a few solos getting used to the helmet in freefall and under canopy, but IMO it doesn't affect my visual range too much, or even at all, in the middle-to-far distance.
That being said, due to altitude limitations thanks to the weather I have not had anyone close by in freefall yet, but I don't expect any problems.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I personally would recommend against students and young jumpers wearing full-faced helmets. Here's why.

Limiting vision at crunch time. Some helmets will prevent you from being able to see your emergency handles. I think it's very important for students and young jumpers to look and be able to see (with minimum obstruction) and find their EP handles at crunch time.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

crunch time?

If that means that your visor is damaged, I can definitely see your point.

EDIT: According to wikipedia it means something like "It's Showtime!" - so when it's time to execute ep's.

I'm confused now.

Anyway, one other thing I did is pratice ep's in freefall by looking at and touching both handles, which i repeated when i switched rigs.
Nevertheless, dear OP, this is what I did, not what should be done. ;)

EDIT2: As always, pops, thanks for your thoughtful reply. You never say "STFU, you noob," you kindly explain why some viewpoints are incorrect.

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Some full face helmets (particularly some of the older designs) severely restrict the vision - especially with regard to seeing you handles. As such the BPA felt it more practical to impose general restrictions on below B licence jumpers rather than test each and every type of full face for visibility issues.

However there have been a few limited cases where someone has learned abroad and done all of their jumps with a full face before returning to the UK. At the discretion of the CCI some of these people have been allowed to jump a full face without their B licence.

NB in the UK you also need the new C (red) licence before you can wear the frappe hat, and jumping without a helmet is not allowed at all in the UK.

Blue skies

Paul

Not only is it important not to have limited visibilty but as a student and a new jumper it's better if the people jumping with you can see you eyes. I don't want people I'm coaching or really anybody I'm jumping with using tinted or mirror goggles. I want to know where they are looking.

As also said, I've never found a full face that both fits my head and gives me the range of vision I want. I usually use a chest mount altimeter and often they get in the way of that. As well as peripheral vision.

But I'm an old fart stuck in my ways.>:(

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I kind of figured it wouldn't be very wise for a student to wear one but I wanted to ask anyway. Although it would be nice, I know I need every ounce of concentration and vision I have just to make it back to the ground safely at this point in the game. Think it would hurt anything if I were to wear a full face in the wind tunnel only?

I wore a full face from about 30 jumps to about 350 then started switching between full face and open. I discovered that the full face had actually allowed me to get away with at least one minor bad habit - not keeping my chin up and my mouth shut :)
If you're using the tunnel to train for freefall, I'd suggest wearing the closest gear to the gear you'll be jumping, 'specially if you have low jump numbers.

Owned by Remi #?

That, and they limit audible cues like shouting under canopy too. "Flare!" "Don't turn!!!" "Hey, look behind you at the pretty cameraflyer!" come to mind :)

I am not sure that is true. For years I used a bonehead open faced helmet for doing tandems so I could talk to and hear my student under canopy. Last year a riser slap removed my optima from my helmet so I switched to my Z1. I actually found I can hear better, even before I raise my visor I can hear the student just fine.

Good point. I've never been good with eye contact to begin with but while working with a coach in the wind tunnel, I discovered just how powerful good eye contact is. I get goose bumps just thinking about it. It's amazing how much it's improved my tunnel skills.

I think a full face on a student is a lousy idea...

First, vision restriction to varying degrees depending on helmet type and fit (as others mentioned)

Harder to make eye contact.

Harder to hear your instructors if we are talking to you prior to leaving the plane.

Harder for you to talk to your instructors after you put in on but before you leave the plane... we can't hear you with that thing on.

How are you going to get a radio on a full face helmet? Prior to graduating AFF at least, the student helmets are all equipped with the radio mount, plus if you need to do a recurrency jump.

Full faces limit communication, and that's so important. I won't jump with a student in a full face. I don't wear one myself because of that as well.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

FYI...

"USPA Section 2-1: Basic Safety Regulations

K. Parachute Eqipment

2. All students are to be equipped with the following equipment until they have obtained a USPA A license:

a. a rigid helmet (except tandem students) [NW]"

http://www.uspa.org/publications/SIM/2008SIM/section2.htm

There isnt anything specifically saying "NO" but you will have to ask YOUR instructors.
Muff #5048

It wouldn't make sense for a student, at least in AFF or making coached jumps to use a full face. Your instructor needs to be able to see your face.

It might even make sense to restrict full face helmets to those with 25+ jumps or such.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I am a bit hard of hearing and I find that I read lips on the plane. It is sometimes difficult to understand other jumpers when their helmets cover their mouths. Also, some helmets restrict ground vision when looking at the horizon at flare time. In some weather conditions, a fogged or frozen lens might make jumping difficult and/or dangerous for a new jumper. As far as whether you should wear one, ask your instructors.

> Can a student wear a full face helmet?

Usually no.

1) It makes it harder for an instructor to "read your face" to see what's going on.

2) It's a lot harder to deal with fogging faceplates than fogging goggles.

3) (worst case) It makes it harder to provide emergency care during serious injuries.

I've been using a full-faced helmet, since jump #13. I'd say open-faced, while training but after that, it should be up to the individual.Full-faced helmets pose far less problems than most goggles, especially if you wear eyeglasses. I made most of my AFF jumps, blinded by fogged glasses and goggles....kinda' hard to fly, by ear.[:/]

"T'was ever thus."