steve1

Ass-hole Highway Patrolman

I was recently stopped by a Highway Patrollman for a minor traffic violation. I was going hunting with my family when I was stopped. To say this patrollman was a jerk is an understatement. His voice was angry, his body language was angry, his distain for us was very apparent, and it was lecture time from the get go. I felt like a kid in the principals office as he went on and on about how dangerous I was. He even went so far as to say he may have to arrest me. After a few minutes of this my patience was gone and I really felt like jumping out of my pickup and nocking off his smokey the bear hat. I wonder how many other people he has pushed over the edge in his career at being an asshole. And then to end it all he said, "For some inexplicable reason he was going to let us off with a warning." I've been stopped many times for traffic violations, but have never been given a riot act, by a complete jerk, in front of my family.

So my question is, what can I do to complain about this idiot. Is there a office to call, that handles such complaints. Will anything be done to investigate a dip-stick suck as this? I would think if he has a history of this they ought to get rid of him. Thanks........Steve1

You can call the local HP office and speak to the Sergeant in charge. Better yet, write a letter. And cc someone important.

Great idea! If you do that, besure to let them know that you had fully expected to be repremanded for your infraction, but the attitude and demenor of the officer was completely uncalled for.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I say he gave you a X-mas present by giving you a warning. You never mentioned what you did to get pulled over, you may very of well deserved what you got. Even if it was unwarrented, all you lost was some time in your day. Do you really want to jack your Karma up and waste more time in your day with trying to figure out how to complain about that guy or spend it with your family?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It doesn't matter whether he deserved to be pulled over or not. He doesn't deserve to be treated like shit. Some of these cops get a little macho when they're given powers of arrest and a gun. They need to be reminded that they're not god.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

Just calm down and write a letter to the police chief of the city and CC the mayor. Make sure it's free of obscenities - unless the officer in question used them. That's about it.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

I think I will let some of the LEO here on the board address this one since I think there are a few good reasons why a cop would have an attitude with you. Normally they don't get up in the morning thinking about how many people they can yell at in their day. it's quite the opposite.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I am curious as to what you did to get pulled over. Freeway cops tend to get wound over the prospect of pulling dead children out of overturned wrecks.

So, perhaps he was pissed at you for putting your family at risk, and him of having to pick up the pieces when you totalled your car, or totalled someone else's car and killed it's occupants.

In my day, I tended to bring a man back to me at the squad to rip him one, if he needed it. Sometimes a guy needed to be ripped in front of his family, though, to keep him from repeating his dangerous behavior.

Have you continued to speed or make unsafe lane changes or whatever since Smokey's Little Tirade without your wife or whoever cautioning you go back off?

In any case, you can complain to the commander of the state police or whatever they have where you are. Do it by certified letter with signature return and follow up.

If he wasn't vulgar in the wording of the reprimand, and didn't touch you, you really don't have a case.

I am curious as to what you did to get pulled over. Freeway cops tend to get wound over the prospect of pulling dead children out of overturned wrecks.
reply]
Deuce,
I know you are in law enforcement, and believe me I have the highest respect for most people who do that job. My brother was a cop and still in law enforcement, and hell at one time I wanted to be a cop too.

But I still think this guy is a jerk and was on some type of power trip. There are lot's of folks who thrive on this kind of thing and I'm sure the police academies try to weed them out. Somehow this guy got through and his true colors were showing, in my opinion.

As far as what I did.....I needed to be heading the other direction on the freeway and was having trouble finding an exit. I was in a very rural area with little or no traffic. I spotted one of these emergency travel lanes that are everywhere adjoining the two directions of traffic. Cops and other authorized personal use them all the time. Since there was little or no traffic I used one of these to turn around and head the other direction. As far as placing my family in danger, that simply wasn't the case. There was never a danger of being hit. I just broke one of the rules. I was willing to pay the ticket if given one, but I don't feel I deserved a ration of crap from this guy......Steve1

Would you rather have a ticket, fine and points? & maybe insurance increase for good measure.
To me, he did you a favor by not writing you up, bad attitude or not. I'd leave it alone. If you stir up shit, the next ten guys are guaranteed a ticket and would probably prefer to be warned and scolded instead.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

I wouldsay be happy with the warning. If he gave you a ticket then you could have called his supervisor and registered a compliant. If you do that I wouldnt drive through that area for a long while.

I think someone who is a loose cannon has no right to wear a badge. Someone like this brings disrespect to all that do that job. I do have respect for most law enforcement personal, but not all. This guy was going far beyond what his job description entails.....Steve1

Steve I am on your side and always will be. I know you are good natured and a overall nice guy. If you say the dude's a prick then the dude is a prick. But as for doing anything about it? Just chalk it up as another a-hole encounter that we all have to deal with on a daily basis and let it slide... He let you slide so let him slide. Everybody has off days ya know...[:/]

I think most cops strap on not only a badge a gun when they hit the streets but also a healthy dose of supercop attitude and ego. Many times I've watched the TV show Cops, and noticed officers seem to get really pissed off and take it quite personally when someone lies to them. I think after a while, maybe being on the street too long and seeing too much miserable shit and low life dirtbags most anybody's perception and attitude would tend to get jacked up. next thing you know, officer Sillypuddy is T'ing off on some family man for making an illegal Uturn in HIS town.

Without knowing all the details. The fact that he let you off with a warning (after spanking you like that) probably signifies that the verbal lashing was unsolicited and unmeritted..

"In my day, I tended to bring a man back to me at the squad to rip him one, if he needed it."

It's not the officers place to "Rip him one" regardless of percieved "Need".
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

Deuce,
I know you are in law enforcement

My brother, you are incorrect. Law Enforcement jettisoned me the first good chance it got by retiring me when I got injured. I was usually the guy grabbing what we called "A badge-heavy rookie with a John Wayne complex" by the scruff of the neck, dragging his belligerant ass behind something and tearing him a new one. I always beleived in customer service and never raised my voice or poked anybody in the chest with my finger or baton. By the time it came to that it was time to season and tenderize.

That said, freeway cops have a shitty gig. They watch lots of kids and innocents die. If you were left with the impression that Officer Dickhead treated everybody like he treated you, and I'm open to the reality that he might be, do the certified mail thing. Let him have it. The taxpayers deserve better.

They can't retroactively ticket you.

;)

One more time people. I am retired. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

:P

I could dress it up in politically correct language, but it would be the same thing. And yes, it is law enforcements job to determine if a warning is going to be effective or if a ticket is what's needed.

You just got a ticket;)

Before this degenerates into a "fuck the police thread" I'm checking out.

Laters.

Steve,

I'm a LEO, a State Trooper to be exact. I would like to help you with your problem but I would need to know all the facts first.

For the most part, I don't believe you should have been treated with anything but respect. I was not there and have no idea what happened. All I know is what you wrote (2 sides to every coin and all).

You have many options when it comes to dealing with something like this. First of all, almost every Department now is required to have full audio and video on every stop and keep it. For complaints just like this.
In almost every state you can get a copy of the video under what is called the open records act.
You will have to contact the department in person and fill out some paperwork first.
It would be good for you to review the tape because its pretty much objective. It wont tell your side or the Troopers side, just what happened.
Most of the time if you go talk to the Troopers supervisor in person they will sit down with you and review the tape without all the red tape.

I am just taking your word and assuming that you committed a minor infraction and the Trooper may have been way out of line. You know, having a bad day. I know its hard for some people to believe, but Officers are people too. It's not within policy in most cases but I know officers that figure they are doing you a favor by chewing your ass instead of giving you a ticket.

It really depends on who you are (the officer). I myself would rather have a huge ass chewing if I screwed up instead of a ticket.
$200.00 Ticket plus insurance rates and maybe points on your driving record. Ass chewing sounds good to me. But thats just me.

I am in no way trying to justify or make excuses for what that Trooper did to you. Wrong is wrong and thats it. Its all in how feel.
Keep in mind, many people still don't understand that a traffic ticket is an arrest. The way you go free is by signing the ticket (signing yourself out of jail).
When stopped an officer, by law he/she has 3 choices in most all traffic stops.

1. Warning :)
a. Verbal
b. Written

2. Ticket :(

3. Take you to jail >:(

It is totally up to the Trooper on the side of the road.

Some customers let their mouth get them choice #3.>:([:/]:(

Yes!! you can go to jail for something as simple as speeding, fail to signal lane change or Ride not secure by safety belt.
I have seen it done.

On the other hand I will be the first to tell you that we do have asshole Officers and Troops on the road that shouldn't be wearing a badge. They often give the rest of us a bad name. In every job, a shit bag or two will slip through the cracks.

Good luck and I hope I have been of some help.

Blue Skies

Airborne!