steve1

Ass-hole Highway Patrolman

Very good point Deuce.

When I was on the road every day, I got called out to a Triple Fatal and saw an entire families dead with body parts all over the roadway. For the next couple of days if I saw someone doing something stupid or taking an unnecessary chance just to save them a few minutes I might have given them a few tickets or chewed on them for a while (never both). Not the thing to do, but all I could see or think about at the time was the faces of the dead little twin girls.

Maybe I should have taken some days off to be with my little girl, but if I took a day off every time I picked up a dead body I would just as well stay home.

The worse part is driving to the next of kin's house and giving them the bad news.

Airborne!

I agree that the freeway cops have a "shitty gig". Thats what they signed up for when they went into law enforcement. They should be able to perform their duties without "anger" and "disdain".
In my experience with law enforcement officers, the vast majority have been very professional, and I have appreciated it.
The times I have received a "lecture" have left a bad taste in my mouth. It's not their job to lecture. If a lecture is warranted, it should come from a Judge.
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

As far as what I did.....I needed to be heading the other direction on the freeway and was having trouble finding an exit. I was in a very rural area with little or no traffic. I spotted one of these emergency travel lanes that are everywhere adjoining the two directions of traffic. Cops and other authorized personal use them all the time. Since there was little or no traffic I used one of these to turn around and head the other direction. As far as placing my family in danger, that simply wasn't the case. There was never a danger of being hit. I just broke one of the rules. I was willing to pay the ticket if given one, but I don't feel I deserved a ration of crap from this

You dont think you deserved this?? I think he let you off pretty easily. I drive 18wheelers for a living and about a month ago someone pulled the same stunt you did. I rear ended this lady at a high rate of speed. Her car was totalled, my truck was fucked up. Not to mention that because of this person's lack of regard for the traffic laws, she could have been killed. I side with the officer on this one.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

Personally I would find out what bar he hangs out at and make sure I was there next time he is and.....

Let's just say in the Navy I got to know the MPs by name. I minored in bar brawling. No one was off limits.***

Steve,

I would disregard this advice. I know alot of bad motherfuckers in this world, and the baddest all seem to work for the goodguys. Example: I went away for a couple weeks of CQC and edged weapons training last year. I showed up pretty confident in my skills. When I got there, I saw a little guy in the hallway, and I asked a buddy who he was. My buddy said, "Oh him, thats *** ****, he's got the most confirmed knife kills in the world". You may just pick a fight with the wrong guy.

If the guy really pissed me off, I would write the letter, however, I would never again expect to be let go with just a warning. Folks don't like it when you mess with thier careers after they have just given you a break.

I would think that it would be in a cops best interest to treat others with respect. I've been given tickets over the years, from police officers who were truly professional. I went away from these situations disliking the ticket, but liking the officer who gave it to me. I agree that if you are going to get a lecture it should be from a judge not the officer on the scene. This whole situation could have escalated into something ugly just because this guy wanted to play "bad ass". I mean, if I were a little crazier I could have pulled one of the two rifles I was sitting next to. Yes, they were loaded and ready to go (which is legal in my state). Or I could have grabbed the 357, which was also on the seat. Of course I wouldn't have done this, but it could have happened. And over what, a minor traffic offense.

I've seen the same thing happen with employers. Many of whom were on a power trip and thought they could treat others like crap and then are surprised when it comes back at them. The saying of, "Don't throw stones, if your own house is made of glass," comes to mind.

At any rate, one more story.... I knew a cop from Butte, Mt. who was once shot and left for dead. I used to lift weights with this guy and was really impressed with what a great guy he was. Not to mention he was one stout guy in the weight room. The other day another cop told me what really happened......At one time he was very belligerant and heavy handed in how he handled law breakers. Butte is a very tough mining town and home of Eble Keneval (among many other bull-headed people). Well eventually he rubbed some bad guys the wrong way and they decided to retalliate. The ambushed him one night, shot him four or five times, and left him on the street for dead. When he recovered from his wounds his attitude and demeanor on the job was completely changed. After that he treated bad guys with a lot more respect......Steve1

Well, the trooper probably thought he was doing you a favor by not giving you a ticket. Apparently you admit a violation.

I think he was doing you a favor.

If you complain about NOT getting a ticket and getting a talking-to instead, next time he may simply write tickets for the poor bastards he stops, and it will be ALL YOUR FAULT.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

TXBLKBEAR - your reply is well thought out, rational, and non-emotional. Kudos to you. Are you an FTO? If not, then you should be.

Any type of public service is a thankless, miserable job. But that does not give the servant a right to be a dickhead.

Steve deserved a ticket and should have gotten one. He admits that. But just because the officer decided to let him go, does not allow an ass-chewing instead. There are standards of behavior for a reason.

In a world full of people, only some want to fly... isn't that crazy! --Seal

In the big scheme of things, ask yourself, "In a hundred years, who's gonna care?" As someone who has been pull over plenty (for speeding) I have seen and heard all flavors of State Troopers (OR, CA, FL, GA, CT, MA, NJ, VT...the CT troopers were ultra-pr!cks). That being said, I only know of one state trooper who actually enjoyed enforcing "traffic/speed limits", and that was a condescending d!~kw@d in southwest Oregon (based out of Brookings). I know your pain, and I make no excuses for anyone.

In retrospect, Montana has the most generous highway laws in the country (in terms of speed). You got a warning and not everyone is 100% all the time.

When the double-nickel was repealed, Montana went from 55 MPH and a $5 fine (for wasting natural resources) to "Reasonable and Prudent" (70 MPH at night). Well, it is my understanding that many a highway patrolmen saw "Reasonable and Prudent" fly out the window and some particularly gruesome incidents prompted a statewide "limit" of 80 MPH.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Thanks skydiverbrian,

Yes I am an FTO and have had the privilege of training some fine Troopers in the past.

I make it my business to treat everyone I come into contact with, with respect. This goes from the little old lady driving the wrong way down IH-20 because she lost her way, to the ass in the hot rod racing his friend at 140mph with his 2yo bouncing around in the back seat.
Do you realize how fast I have to drive from a dead stop to catch a car going 140?:S Lets just say my ass has sucked up many seat covers.:o

Some times you just have to take a deep breath before making contact with your customer.

I use to be one of the worst critics of COPS until I walked in their shoes. Lets every one remember that we are all human and make mistakes. I don't agree with what the Trooper did but I do understand how it could happen.

Peace.

Airborne!

What is it with all this GUN & Hurting Cops talk??:S>:(.

Your not helping your case much. NONE of that is necessary.

Are you sure you didn't start this Trooper off.

Your talking about pulling out a .357 on a State Trooper?:o

What the hell is that about??????

You cant tell me about being able to carry a loaded gun in your state. I know all about it. I live in TEXAS!
80% of the people I stop have loaded guns.

Your starting to sound a little short of a full deck.
You want to take a little ass chewing and turn it into a full scale man hunt with only one possible ending.

Let it Go man.......[:/]

You got off easy. They were just words. Now you have more cash to spend at the DZ.B|

Let it go......

Airborne!

I have never been disrespected verbally by an officer, Statie or otherwise. I've always treated them with respect, and have been treated the same. And have been let off with just a warning more times than I can count. And that's not because I'm a girl...it's because I deal with them as humans, not perjoratively assuming they are assholes.

I've had exactly ONE "negative" encounter (and it wasn't negative in the end). I was pulled over for speeding (I was) and was asked to exit the freeway. I did, and pulled over immediately, and turned the car off. Unfortunately, it was off the 10 onto Crenshaw, which is a very bad area (or was at that time...). Late on a Saturday night, in front of a liquor store, I'm the only female in sight. This is an old car, unreliable at best.

Officer warns me, hops in his car, and leaves. And there I am, trying to start my car up again. Without getting into details, it was a scary few moments until my car caught, and I could get back onto the freeway.

I called the officer's station, and spoke with one of the lead officers. I wasn't mad, per se, just concerned and wondering if the officer was aware of the potential problem he had created by not letting me leave first. The L/O had the other officer call me, and we had a great conversation. He hadn't realized what a bad situation it was, and was really very sorry. Turns out he was meeting another officer for "lunch" and was worried about being late.

They are human beings. Good, bad, nice, mean. I have found, however, that if you treat people (any people!!!) with respect, generally it will go well. Anyone can be nice for 10 minutes.

And like Texas said, this talk about "bad" cops getting shot up is pretty disgusting. I've known cops who've been shot - and killed. And they weren't "bad". We lost one here in my community recently - and it's been hard on us.

Steve1, you may be a nice guy, but after reading that, I think the officer may have just been treating you the way you treated him. Thank your lucky stars you weren't cited.

Ciels-
Michele

(edited to reflect the poster to whom my post is directed.)

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

You may be a nice guy, but after reading that, I think the officer may have just been treating you the way you treated him. Thank your lucky stars you weren't cited.

Ciels-
Michele

You need to read my post. I said that my experiences were good. You have my post confused with another.

never pull low......unless you are

You need to read my post. I said that my experiences were good. You have my post confused with another.

My bad, Rick. I replied to you because you were last. I wasn't very clear. I will go and handle that right now.

I was meaning the original poster, not you.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

:| no complaining....
let it go...

................... there is NO good to be had, from pressing this any further...steve1....
In a world full of people who should basically be "similar",,, it's amazing how different people can be ,,, and how our perception of them can vary...
.....Circumstances of the moment influence how we will feel about a person,,, be they "officials" or "just regular folks".....the wierd thing....
He probably got back into His cruiser thinking,,,,
"well I handled THAT in a considerate and professional manner"...:S:P[:/]>:(......
..... any follow up letter, or criticism, to his superiors
will NOT have the effect you wish,,, anyway..... So let it be...
..... p. s. have a safe and careful hunting season...
jmy

Before this degenerates into a "fuck the police thread" I'm checking out.

Well, ya know, we just got a new local here in Waupaca. Well, not exactly new....she's been on the city PD rolls for, oh, 6 months or so, I think.
I tell ya what, if there were to be a "fuck the police" thread, there's alot of guys that would agree with me, she'd top the list.

All I know is, she's HOT

Oh, were you talking about some other kind of thread? ;)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

:| no complaining....
let it go...

................... there is NO good to be had, from pressing this any further...steve1....
In a world full of people who should basically be "similar",,, it's amazing how different people can be ,,, and how our perception of them can vary...
.....Circumstances of the moment influence how we will feel about a person,,, be they "officials" or "just regular folks".....the wierd thing....
He probably got back into His cruiser thinking,,,,
"well I handled THAT in a considerate and professional manner"...:S:P[:/]>:(......
..... any follow up letter, or criticism, to his superiors
will NOT have the effect you wish,,, anyway..... So let it be...
..... p. s. have a safe and careful hunting season...
jmy

Good point.

I had a girl complain about me because I told her that she'd have got a better grade on a test if she actually attended class. Her complaint that I was insensitive and unprofessional was thrown out.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

What is it with all this GUN & Hurting Cops talk??:S>:(.

Your not helping your case much. NONE of that is necessary.

Are you sure you didn't start this Trooper off.

Your talking about pulling out a .357 on a State Trooper?:o

What the hell is that about??????

You cant tell me about being able to carry a loaded gun in your state. I know all about it. I live in TEXAS!
80% of the people I stop have loaded guns.

Your starting to sound a little short of a full deck.
You want to take a little ass chewing and turn it into a full scale man hunt with only one possible ending.

Let it Go man.......[:/]

You got off easy. They were just words. Now you have more cash to spend at the DZ.B|

Let it go......

I'm just stating that in this scenario things could have escalated into something much bigger in another situation. I'm not saying I would have done this, but someone else might have. You push someone too hard and things of that nature do happen. As far as people not playing with a full deck...don't you think law enforcement attracts people like that at times. I'm sure police academies are aware of this and do what they can to weed them out. There's lot's of great police officers out there, and I think you're one of them, but the ones that aren't need to be taken off the streets, in my opinion.....Steve1

[replyw

They are human beings. Good, bad, nice, mean. I have found, however, that if you treat people (any people!!!) with respect, generally it will go well. Anyone can be nice for 10 minutes.
Steve1, you may be a nice guy, but after reading that, I think the officer may have just been treating you the way you treated him. Thank your lucky stars you weren't cited.

Ciels-
Michele

(edited to reflect the poster to whom my post is directed.)

There was absolutely nothing I did to this guy to provoke his anger....Other than the traffic offense. I was very respectful and said almost nothing in return. Sure my patience was wearing thin, and it may have started to show in my own body language. The only thing I said that might have been disrespectful was toward the end when he asked me what the hell I was thinking by using the wrong turn around place. And I gruffly replied I was thinking about turning around in a rural area. If you are saying I provoked him, it's simply not true.

As far as the story about hurting cops, maybe that was in bad taste, and I too feel bad when a police officer dies in the line of duty. Maybe I should try to be more understanding with the job they do. Part of my problem is that I do have problems with authority figures who are ass-holes and those who abuse the power they are given.....Steve1

I gruffly replied I was thinking about turning around in a rural area. There was absolutely nothing I did to this guy to provoke his anger....Other than the traffic offense.

Look Steve, you were wrong that day, and you got caught. You made the choice to break the law in front of your family, and you made the distinction of having to take a dressing down in front of your family. Maybe the Trooper noticed that your family was present and made an attempt to show them that he wanted to give you a break, but still wanted to impress upon them the importance of taking responsibility for your decisions. Now you are pissed because you got dressed down in front of your family. I was not there, so I don't know if it was the right call or not.

The fact that you even consider grabbing the .357 as being an option, says alot to me. While it is entirely your right to do so, the fact that you had a loaded .357 on the seat next to you with children in the car, says a lot to me(I am making the assumption that your family includes a child or an adolescent) You are probably a great parent. One thing my Dad taught me a long time ago is that sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you. Suck it up and move on.

Steve, the trooper probably had the grace to recognize that you were just a good guy having a bad day. Perhaps you could afford him the same measure of grace??

[reply

The fact that you even consider grabbing the .357 as being an option, says alot to me. While it is entirely your right to do so, the fact that you had a loaded .357 on the seat next to you with children in the car.. reply]

How many times do I have to say that I never considered grabbing a gun and start shooting. For the third time....I am saying that this could have happened in another situation, with another individual.

As far as the 357 being there. We were going hunting 500 miles from home. When I travel with my family I usually take a weapon. This may not be your cup of tea, but it is my right to do so. My kids are grown, know about weapons, how to use them, and we were going hunting. Please don't take things out of context and try to paint a picture that isn't true.....Steve1

I've been stopped many times for traffic violations, but have never been given a riot act, by a complete jerk, in front of my family.

By your own admission you have been stopped many times for traffic violations. And now you want to sulk and whine because a police officer told you off? Incredible.

I think you need to re-evaluate your driving habits pal. ;)