Kramer

Bowling For Columbine

You can do a search and get all sorts of opinions on this piece of fiction.

Of course I could. But where's the fun in that? When you're in a forum with 29283 threads, there's a thread on just about everything. ;) For all the times where I do search old threads and read that stuff, let me have one new thread of my own...thanks.

_________

Canuck-

How in the hell are you people so nice up there? Honestly...do you really leave your door open 24/7?

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

It would have been better had it not been incorrectly classified as a documentary. Documentaries don't misrepresent facts or lie outright. Then again, such is Michael Moore's trademark.

Moore owes a lot of apologies for that non-documentary.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Name a few misrepresented facts and lies.

I'm not arguing here, I really don't know. I just watched it today, so I haven't had the chance to dig into it too much.

(I'm a Republican...so you don't have to give me the agenda). :P

-Kramer

It would have been better had it not been incorrectly classified as a documentary. Documentaries don't misrepresent facts or lie outright. Then again, such is Michael Moore's trademark.

Moore owes a lot of apologies for that non-documentary.

[Spanky Voice] . . .And How!!![/spanky Voice]
It all depends on if you Want to believe what he presents as fact.
If you view the movie with a point of view that even resembles reality, the truth is just not there.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

A couple to start off with - Lockheed Martin doesn't make missiles for DoD at that plant, though it does ship rockets out of there at night to avoid disrupting traffic during the day. You also can't get a gun at that bank merely by opening a savings account.

There are others - those are just the first two that pop into my head.
Vinny the Anvil
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Good points I'd say...

Your acusations towards the movie have made me do a bit of searching.

I've found a site that backs up your side pretty well.

I still think it's a wonderful movie, but I'm a lot more skeptical of it's 'truths' now. Thanks man.

-Kramer

Great movie. Which encourages people to question everything; even Michael Moore.
I heard him speak at the UT campus last year, and he does present some astonishing things, which are well documented and backed up.
He is an intelligent man, and wants you to question everything, even him and what he says. His main thing is to get out there and gather information from multiple sources and then make your decision. He allowed the audience members to come up for a question and answer session, and he welcomed alternate views and disagreements.
He was the first 18 year old to become president of the school board, b/c he knew his rights as a citizen and acted upon it.
Not everyone likes what he says, believes what he says, and nor should everyone do the above; but he does motivate people to get out there and seek additional information.
(stepping down from my soap box)
B|

Dumb question: Whats the difference between a missile (they don't make) and a rocket (they do make?)

rocket: 2# A projectile weapon carrying a warhead that is powered and propelled by rockets.

missile: An object or weapon that is fired, thrown, dropped, or otherwise projected at a target; a projectile.

I define a missile as a weapon, such as a Harpoon, Tomahawk, SM2, Sea Sparrow, CALCM, Patriot, Sidewinder, Phoenix, etc. The rockets made at the plant in question are used by NASA I believe. Regardless, it's not a weapons plant as Moore describes. Telling the truth is not his forte.
Vinny the Anvil
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

>Who's seen it, and who thinks it's one of the best movies out there?

Was interesting. I wouldn't say it was one of the best movies out there. As others have pointed out, Moore plays fast and loose with the truth. And he goes out of his way to make political points, often at the expense of real discussion over the issues (i.e. he set up Heston to get the sound bites he wanted, not to figure out where he really stood on gun issues.)

I enjoy his view on things, however, after reading his books and watching this movie I have come to the conclusion that Michael Moore is merely an entertainer. He claims that he has all of these view points on why Bush sucks and this and that, but in reality all he does is write this stuff as entertainment. None the less, the movie was very entertaining.

.-.

I enjoy his view on things, however, after reading his books and watching this movie I have come to the conclusion that Roger Moore is merely an entertainer. He claims that he has all of these view points on why Bush sucks and this and that, but in reality all he does is write this stuff as entertainment. None the less, the movie was very entertaining.

Do you mean like James Bond or do you mean Michael Moore?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I enjoy his view on things, however, after reading his books and watching this movie I have come to the conclusion that Roger Moore is merely an entertainer. He claims that he has all of these view points on why Bush sucks and this and that, but in reality all he does is write this stuff as entertainment. None the less, the movie was very entertaining.

Do you mean like James Bond or do you mean Michael Moore?

bahahahahaa, shows how long its been since ive read a book by him. :ph34r:

.-.

>Who's seen it, and who thinks it's one of the best movies out there?

Was interesting. I wouldn't say it was one of the best movies out there. As others have pointed out, Moore plays fast and loose with the truth. And he goes out of his way to make political points, often at the expense of real discussion over the issues (i.e. he set up Heston to get the sound bites he wanted, not to figure out where he really stood on gun issues.)

Or in short, he's like any political animal, but in his case also a film maker. It makes for great entertainment if you're already agree, outrageous bullshit if you're against, or compelling if you're totally ignorant on the subject.

That it won an Oscar probably reflects that the voting population is in group 1. It was not a documentary in the sense that I know the word.

I enjoyed it. I'm aware of the mis truths - but a lot of Americans tend to shoot each other or themselves... We have a similar culture here, but with 2 illegal weapons for every legally owned one - and a high crime rate, I guess that's to be expected.

t
It's the year of the Pig.