tunaplanet

What the.....

I was one of the wimpier kids until 8th grade. I remember how much fun dodge ball (we called it bomb-bardament *sp) was and usually came home with plenty of welts and cuts. I hated those 8" rubber balls!!LOL I was usually the last kid left on a team and would strech the game out until my team begged me to get out. I learned being small and fast made me hard to hit. I see the point in not letting younger kids play but they need something. They need to learn that there are winners and losers and more importantly they need to learn to lose properly. We sometimes learn valuable lessons from losing and sometimes it takes a little pain to get our attention. We are not good at everything: if you cannot throw, you better catch. If you cannot throw or catch, you better be able to dodge!

Dodge bal is like what we in Oz call Brandies or Branding (named after the welts you get)
My favourite game was "British Bulldog".
One pseron in the centre and everyone else runs from one side of an area to the other. The person in the middle has to tackle the runners. Once you are tackled you joined the middle and then more people got to tackle:D:D:D
Lots of fun and lots of pain occasionally:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The next thing they'll ban is the cornering of small, weak kids in the bathroom and stcking their heads in the toilet. >:(:PB|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Everyone that can, gets a ball ready, blow the whistle, and it's Newspeople splatting time!!!!

You just reminded me of something cool about my job. Once every 3 months I get to go to work and beat up my co-workers. I even get to shoot them repeatedly with a sim(paintball) gun. I guess work ain't so bad.....:D

Hire Me!!! I need that kind of release at work!!!

In my 4th and 5th grade years, we were not allowed to play tag or with any balls at recess. Some kid (retard) ran into the pole of a swing set while playing tag and that was their reasoning. They didnt want us running into swing sets too i guess. That was in the mid nineties so i am scared of how it is now. Its real sad in my opinion.

B Moore

'Turbulence is a bitch'

They are not even allowed to RUN on the playground at my niece's school. I teach in the same district, each school makes its own rules about these things. But, jeeze, I thought that one was extreme! Unfortunately, a few parents are lawsuit happy and it ruins it for everyone.
Your character will ultimately determine your destiny.

Dude, they're completely pussifying the whole country!! :S

After I left my high school, they started rules like no shorts, only one piece leather belts (otherwise they could be used as weapons...), clear bookbags, metal detectors at every door, two resident cops in the school, no sports in PE that involve any physical contact, the list goes on....

The worst part.

Did I mention I live in a small town with only 7000 people, and I graduated in a class of 153?

Small towns must be dangerous.... :|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I hope that poster was kidding about little league games not keeping score because they don't want a loser. Are you fucking serious?

Yes sir that's why I pulled my 7 year old daughter out of soccer. No score keeping. No goal setting. No reason to excell or be anything but a fucking number among the shit of mediocrity. Strong words for a mommy...well...I was pissed about the dodgeball thing too. Then when they tried to ban the pledge of allegiance, I fucking lost it....

Sorry, don't get me started...
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Everyone that can, gets a ball ready, blow the whistle, and it's Newspeople splatting time!!!!

You just reminded me of something cool about my job. Once every 3 months I get to go to work and beat up my co-workers. I even get to shoot them repeatedly with a sim(paintball) gun. I guess work ain't so bad.....:D

Hire Me!!! I need that kind of release at work!!!

we played dodgeball in the mortgage office that I managed. High stress job; we had to do something...we just moved the desks out of the way, stretched a strip of masking tape out onto the floor, had like 8 nerf soccer balls, 10 on each side, and VOILA!!!! Instant stress relief. ;)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Don't feel too bad....I've heard some Little Leagues don't keep score in games so there is no loser.

Dude, have you ever watched a little league game? haha, nobody get's thrown out at any base... everyone makes it around one base at a time. If you really kept score, the 'winner' would be declared completely by chance. My girlfriend coached a T-ball team and I thought it was completely ridiculous too.. until I noticed that nobody hardly ever gets thrown out... or caught out... pretty much, you can't be 'out' (you get like 5 strikes)

Now I've never subscribed to the "it's not wether you win or lose..." loser talk (hehe) but IMHO, you can't teach kids to gloat about victory until they have earned it... or at least until they know they have won.

Having said that, NO DODGE BALL!!! WTF!?!?! LIKE, NONE?!?! That's just plain sad :(

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

That is really sad. We didn't call it dodge ball when we played as children, we (including the teachers) referred to it as killer ball.

Have you ever been hit in the face with a rubber ball when its 0 degrees outside?B|

I miss killer ball.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

My wife's 11 year nephew plays baseball and soccer. After attending a couple of his games in each sport, I refuse to go watch any more of it. :S

Damn adults have pretty much taken over any leisure time activity that kids have traditionally learned lessons of self reliance, fairness and coping with the dissapointment of having things not go your way and turned it into a homogonized "no one is a loser" non event. I'm surprised that psycologists aren't on the sidelines to council the little tykes when they strike out or or have a goal scored against them.>:(

Edited to add: ....and with all the empahsis on "life's lessons" they think they are instilling into the kids, they haven't learned to play sports worth a shit!! It's extremely painfull to watch :D:o
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

When I was teaching the system was into the no winners no loosers game. I would ask how this was preparing them for life in the real world and usually got blank stares back.

Also had to deal with the "there are no wrong answers" mentality.

I support that no one can be a good winner without knowing the sting of defeat. Success is not as sweet until one has tasted failure. Failing, working through the "why" of the failure and then succeding is a foriegn concept to so many of the.

Life is a combination of failure and then success and through dealing with doing what you feel was your best and meeting failure CHARACTER and the ability to rebound from adversity is built.

But then again I tend to rant from time to time.

Damn adults have pretty much taken over any leisure time activity that kids have traditionally learned lessons of self reliance, fairness and coping with the dissapointment of having things not go your way and turned it into a homogonized "no one is a loser" non event. I'm surprised that psycologists aren't on the sidelines to council the little tykes when they strike out or or have a goal scored against them.>:(

Ha-ha! well put... don't forget "no one gets hurt" either. That's alright, there must always be balance. Take away dodge ball from kids because it hurts some... a few generations later, kids will make up a new game like dodge-bat, or "dodge-this!"

Try as hard as you can to stop it.. kids will hurt themselves and eachother. lol, I suggest we just sit back and enjoy the show. :D

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!