Ikagai

step through

Hey there!

just recently i had my first cutaway, apparently it was a step through.

i just wonder what i did wrong when packing. i couldn't find any info about what can cause it, and i don't remember packing it anyway differently (only 40 packs so far, but they all opened nicely).

any help would be appreciated,
thanx.

A step-through isn't something you do while packing - it's created the last time you landed. And then you didn't notice the problem to straighten it out when packing afterward.

Have an experienced jumper at your DZ show you what a step-through means.

A step through can be caused while packing. I did it when I had somewhere around 40 jumps. Packed it up normal and flipped the bag through the lines before closing the container. When I was packing it I found it odd that I had to pull my pilot chute through the lines but it didn't cross my mind at that time that I had done something wrong:S

i just wonder what i did wrong when packing. i couldn't find any info about what can cause it, and i don't

umm if he was taught a proper packing class or shown he would be able to understand what causes a step through

even if he had a cutaway he would've known right away he made an error
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

how did you get cleared for packing without being shown what a step through is/fix/notice?

To some degree i agree with you.
But with that kind of thinking nobody should ever have to cut away as a vast majority of malfunctions are packing related.

Everyone can make mistakes.

umm if he was taught a proper packing class or shown he would be able to understand what causes a step through

even with the best classes humans can make errors. Evene after 1000's of packjobs you can go wrong. Hope you will notice your next error, Mister Perfect.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I wish the mods would ban you.Reread the post above you.I had the same thing happen but it didnt result in a cutaway.

i definitely agree with you..
i just cannot imagine why someone with this little experience has to be trolling in every topic even if he had nothing to add to conversation...
(my post isn't adding either and i do have quite a little experience too, but i think it ruins many good topics when someone starts arguing about non important things just to get to say something...)

I wish the mods would ban you.Reread the post above you.I had the same thing happen but it didnt result in a cutaway.

i definitely agree with you..
i just cannot imagine why someone with this little experience has to be trolling in every topic even if he had nothing to add to conversation...
(my post isn't adding either and i do have quite a little experience too, but i think it ruins many good topics when someone starts arguing about non important things just to get to say something...)

petejones45 = FIGJAM

figure that one out ;) what a cunt:P
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

A step-through isn't something you do while packing - it's created the last time you landed. And then you didn't notice the problem to straighten it out when packing afterward.

Have an experienced jumper at your DZ show you what a step-through means.

I've seen people give themselves step throughs by flipping the bag through the lines before putting it in the container. Typically from cutting up on the packing mat, instead of packing.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

no need to get angry at them. they did teach me that and they are very professional.

the thing about flipping the whole D-bag just before you tuck it in the rig sounds like the thing i might have done that day.
i will pay more attention to that in the future.

Cheers

no need to get angry at them. they did teach me that and they are very professional.

the thing about flipping the whole D-bag just before you tuck it in the rig sounds like the thing i might have done that day.
i will pay more attention to that in the future.

Cheers

It's actually easier than some folks seem to think to flip the D-bag. When you finish stowing the lines, you pick it up, and put it in the pack tray. If you give it a half flip to keep the risers where you want, you have to make sure you don't give it another half flip in the same direction to get the stowed lines to the bottom. As AggieDave noted, if you get interrupted or are goofing around while you are packing, you can lose track of which way it should go and give your self a step-through.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

even with the best classes humans can make errors. Evene after 1000's of packjobs you can go wrong. Hope you will notice your next error, Mister Perfect.

my point wasn't about human errors it was about being taught a proper packing method and how to know what causes step throughs, which should've been explained in his class/lesson
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

my point wasn't about human errors it was about being taught a proper packing method and how to know what causes step throughs, which should've been explained in his class/lesson

The OP said he was trained and that it likely was human error, so your input in the matter, is 'point'less. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

dude, i'm really curious as to how your incident-thread will look like; and i'm REALLY curious what you will have to "add" to it.. :|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

if he doesn't know what causes a step though in general then he hasn't been taught

If you're going to be the way you are, at least speak using full thoughts rather than trolling by asking dumb questions and baiting the forum users. Give examples or fuck off. :P I do mean to add the smiley because I'm not angry while posting this. I'm just stating what I'd say in person if you were packing on my floor.

Talking about a line check and showing a line check only shows what is correct. Make sure the student knows what is correct. Then... make it not correct and teach them to fix it.

Next time you teach someone, step it through a riser group and show them how to fix it. Then do it and let them fix it.

Step it through 1 line only and have them fix it. Flip it through and make them untangle it. If the teacher does not do these things, then it's not being taught.

That's an example of an example.

Hope that helps.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

in order to be cleared for packing unsupervised, here you have to make a "packing-test". you get a messed up rig with a step-through AND the other common mistake, one above, the other below the slider.. i've had like 45 minutes to get it all cleared, it was a MESS.

oh, and i got to do it pretty much at the end of my AFF-week.. i liked that!
well, not really, but i think it's a good training! everyone should do it that way! :P

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Few precautions could be taken to avoid that kind of problem.

1) just after landing : stay where you are for few seconds, if lines are all around you, grab the risers just above the three rings and get them on one side including the lines and fabric. That way everything will be clear from you. You can now do the brakes. Avoid absolutely to walk with lines around you. Ask help if necessary. Then do large line stows around your neck or daisy chain them and gather the fabric.

2) after landing : if the canopy stays behind you, turn around like doing a standing half barrel roll to face the canopy. To do so, one riser has to go above your head. Do the brakes and gather you canopy orderly. If you are fast enough do like pro, after landing immediately do that standing half barrel roll while the canopy is still in the air and now you face the canopy.

3) when you bring your canopy to the packing area, put the canopy as much as possible orderly on the ground : pilot chute, fabric, lines, risers and undo the harness while making sure to put it face down top forward. Do do so, while your unbuckled container is still on your shoulders, hold the harness/container by the main lift web using your arms, slide it down and using one foot, push the bottom of the container rearward.

Note: doing like indicated above will prepare your canopy to be packed. But in any way, you should be able to spot the entanglement or step
through problem when doing your lines check. When doing it first make sure the three rings and container shoulders are well flat on the ground with toggles on the top riser. Good luck and be careful.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.