SansSuit

Riser Release Handle ?

OK, I missed the memo. When did we change from "Cutaway handle" to "Riser Release Handle"? I was just rereading the Safety Day article in the February Parachutist and saw the term which I had never before seen. I'm still trying to figure out if'n I like it.

Peace,
-Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

For realz. :S

Sigh...

While we're at it...I guess we should see what else we have sitting around in need of a good renaming. I mean, the word 'dropzone' is a little overused...

...and 'jumpsuit.' Waaay too obvious.

And don't get me started on 'altimeter' - it's gotta go (I mean, obviously, it's a 'wrist-mounted pressure gauge.' Altitude awareness is just a by-product).

Anyone got any good ideas? :D

Signatures are the new black.

At least call it the "canopy release handle" fer Christ's sake. "Riser release handle" sounds lame. [:/]

in case of a containerlock you release the riser, not the canopy :P

Canopy release would mean you stay with risers and lines connected...

Should be called : Riser attachment point quick disassembly handle
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Instructor on radio:
"PULL YOUR MECHANICAL RISER ATTACHMENT POINT QUICK DISassem..bly...
Crap.
Never mind [:/]"

I mean, what the hell?
Edit: this is directed at the original issue, not at piisfish specifically ;)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Canopy release would mean you stay with risers and lines connected...

Should be called : Riser attachment point quick disassembly handle

:D:D:D Call it the "canopy-lines-risers-including-including-toggles-andohyes-the the-slider-thingie-too" release handle.

The canopy is the main thing, pun intended, being released. If this game of semantics is because of the "can't cutaway a total" scenario, the USPA is way off track, or smoking a lot of crack. Proper training prevents confusion for students, not a bunch of word games. Call things anything you like, but train people properly. [:/]

OK, I missed the memo. When did we change from "Cutaway handle" to "Riser Release Handle"? I was just rereading the Safety Day article in the February Parachutist and saw the term which I had never before seen. I'm still trying to figure out if'n I like it.

Peace,
-Jeff.

Ah, whatever, It's "Breakaway" in any event but no one wants to use that term either.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Peace,
-Jeff.

Ah, whatever, It's "Breakaway" in any event but no one wants to use that term either.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Breakaway?"
You must have way stronger hands than me!

Yes, some of the older terminology is silly, but after it has been in usage for a few years, it is too difficult to change.
For example, back in 1979, I was taught to kick hacky sacks. Since then I have wandered around DZS kicking hacky sacks. ... don't understand the dirty looks some people give me??????

What exactly are you cutting?:)

Technically you arent "cutting" anything. I would say seperate or even disassemble. :D

cut /kʌt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuht] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, cut, cut·ting, adjective, noun
–verb (used with object) 1. to penetrate with or as if with a sharp-edged instrument or object: He cut his finger.
2. to divide with or as if with a sharp-edged instrument; sever; carve: to cut a rope.
3. to detach with or as if with a sharp-edged instrument; separate from the main body; lop off: to cut a slice from a loaf of bread.

I guess you would then have to call it a "Riser Disassembly Activation Handle".:D
Muff #5048

A memo???
What Memo?

Cutaway, breakaway, release, and chop handles are terms I have heard in our community to describe the same thing. I would say the important issue is we know how the system works, how to use it, and when it needs be used. Call it what you want, but to me it will forever be a cutaway handle.
Memento Mori

From what I've seen the designer of the system prefers the term "Breakaway", so that's what I try to use, but I'll admit, I slip and use "Cutaway" sometimes too.:P

Yep, I just double checked the video, it's Break-Away. The training video not the most bestest skydiving video.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

in case of a containerlock you release the riser, not the canopy :P

Not me! I pull the reserve locking pin cable manual ergonomic METAL tensioning device.

:D:D:D
>

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239