SkydiveNFlorida

Why don't you jump?

I take my son pretty much every weekend to the dropzone. Its his favorite place. By Fridays, he is usually asking when we are going to go the dropzone. I mostly jump at a very kid friendly place, and he loves the planes. He is 3 going on 4 in Feb. My wife who does not jump, says she doesn't mind being at the dropzone so much since our son has such a good time there. I guess if he does start to get bored, we will have to change our routine somehow.

Getting back to the question at hand, I jump as much as I can, There are still a few DZ's that jump during the winter in the northeast.
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

The joys of work, don't get me wrong, I love being on the S.O.R.T. (Special operations response team) at work, but all the classes needed to keep up with Haz Mat, technical rope rescue( you know incase a rope gets in trouble,) and Urban Search and Rescue, are extremely time/energy consuming, I haven't been able to jump since Oct, and now the transmission in my Jeep just crapped out on me

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

Weather is a massive problem, had a great summer and ever since its been to windy or cloudy or just gale force winds. Thats why I've just come back to Sebastian with a couple of friends, to jump my ass off. Woohoo!B|
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

You guys could do what the parents in my martial arts classes do on tournament days...

Alternate babysitting.

Get a group of parents together, five or six, and alternate saturdays. One saturday, five of you jump while one parent babysits and takes the kids to sea world, or the movies, or whatnot. Next saturday, switch parents. develop a set rotation. Each parent pays for the activity for their kid, if it costs money. Going to the park and renting a video seems to be most popular though.

Its worked great for the martial arts parents. don't see why it wouldn't work for skydiving parents.

I'm not jumping right now because it's too freaking cold here to jump and I haven't been able to line up the time off of work that I would need to make a road trip to warmer climes. Six jumps so far, my last one was three months ago [:/][:/][:/]. I can't wait to get back into my AFF program again. The bug definitely bit me. Had my first (beer?) skydiving dream last night, a stoopid-scary dream about doing a hop-n-pop from a C-182~scary cause I've never done a hop n pop.:|

I've did a tandem back in September, but haven't had the money to go back to do AFF yet. Right now, I'm saving up and trying to get into better shape to feel better about skydiving. I should start back when my semester at school is over and I have enough money. During school, I have to work on the weekends to get good hours, so it's hard to get to the dz with that kind of schedule. But I'm taking the summer off, so hopefully I'll start AFF sometime in May. I can't wait!
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

I sent my rig with Levin to a real good friend who was without. It was for the Mullins Deal At Gladewater. -Some time back.

I havent gotten it back yet and when it gets back its due for a repack.

#2- My wing loading has changed due to drugs taken for rhumatoid arthritis. RA will eventually stop my skydiving career.

#3 I gave my jump tickets to a worthy cause. This friend needed them more than me for talk of quitting. I jazzed this person up and the talk eased up. This person is a natural. This makes me happier even than jumping myself.

~AirAnn~

yup I have 1 jump to my name. Yeah, it is a financial issue, but also my husband decided he is going first. That is fine with me. I plan on being there to support him, and I will get to practice all the things I need to know. So I will get twice the instruction. I was fortunate that Bartsdaddy paid for my first jump, and He also had it announced over KLOS for everyone to hear, I was touched. He is a very thoughtful guy. I would not have been able to jump at all if it weren't for El Peludo watching my children. Yes we have the bug. However, it is difficult to pull money out of your hat when it just isn't there. We are trying though.-Caress
I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

You guys could do what the parents in my martial arts classes do on tournament days...

Alternate babysitting.

Get a group of parents together, five or six, and alternate saturdays. One saturday, five of you jump while one parent babysits and takes the kids to sea world, or the movies, or whatnot. Next saturday, switch parents. develop a set rotation. Each parent pays for the activity for their kid, if it costs money. Going to the park and renting a video seems to be most popular though.

Its worked great for the martial arts parents. don't see why it wouldn't work for skydiving parents.

That's a great idea, Kris, but you have to understand the differences between skydiving and your martial arts classes. The DZ is a long drive for some jumpers. They are driving in from totally different locations to jump at their favorite DZ on the weekends, and they travel to new DZs in different states/countries all the time. (Boogies or competitions are a whole other issue, too!)

Angela ~ Hi sweetie! I got my license in May 2003, and I have 122 jumps. It's not too bad, but if I had my way, I would have triple that amount of jumps. Unfortunately, I have 2 chronic health illnesses that I have had for over 13 years. I take medication daily, and when I am really sick, I need to be on strong antibiotics. I have surgery yearly, too. When I do not jump, I am usually just too sick to jump.

Right now, since I have not worked full-time by choice for an exceptionally long time (usually I am a WORKAHOLIC by nature) and lived off my savings, I have been able to travel to about 7 different DZs...usually completely by myself. I have been to 1/2 dozen boogies. I have taken one Airspeed and one Freefly tunnel camp each. I have traveled for fun (Peru, Hawaii, Florida [twice], Arizona, Bay area, San Diego [regular now] and [upcoming] Nevada) Now, I am totally broke. This may prevent me from jumping as much as I'd like, but I will do everything in my power (with my health being what it is) to jump my little ass off this year. :)

mine is a combination of weather, financial and working weekends. I did two tandems and took ground school and 1 AFP jump last year. This year I'm taking the tax check and a weeks vacation and hopefully getting licensed by the 2nd week of June.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

1> Got bitten by the bug while up in Indiana enough to move to Florida.
2> Spent a good deal of time getting enough money together to get gear / finish training after I moved down to Florida.
3> Got injured during Wind Tunnel training.
4> Had general unrelated health problems after that.
5> One of my old instructors from Indiana bounced.
6> Said the hell with it for awhile and played around with scuba, hang gliding, motorcycles and worked out my health problems over a year or so(lost 15 pounds and figured out I had TMJ).
7> But I got back up into the sky today though and had a very good time.

I have been taking an extended break from skydiving.... Basically because a series of events, starting with my husband getting badly injured on a skydive and then a special friend killed on a BASE jump (who was also one of my favorite persons at the dz), followed by some other personal things, that left me feeling like I was forcing myself to jump every time I went to the dz and I didn't seem to be enjoying it so much. So I just decided to wait until I start feeling like I really want to jump again. Anyhow, my life has calmed down quite a bit lately, I am finally recovering from a month-long sinus infection that had me down, the weather has been rather nice lately, and the wind tunnel just opened at Perris... so it looks like I should be back in the air soon. :)
I've enjoyed reading and posting on dz.com during my break though, just to sort of "stay in the loop". It's also the most active forum that I participate in, with the most interesting people, and it's given me a way to continue learning even while I am not jumping. (Thanks, sangiro :-)

Waiting for the rain to clear around Sebastian so i can jump today. Hence all my forum posts today. But in answer to your question about the number of jumps... i dont update my profile very often. Maybe some of the other folks don't either. Who knows ?

it's only when we've lost everything that we're free to do anything !

I hear and feel for all the folks that are stuck due to financial reasons. I lived that hell for 14 years till I finally was able to buy my own equipment and had enough
money to jump regularly.
This only became a reality in Nov. and I'm loving every minute. I'm there almost every weekend to make at least 2 jumps. Numbers are slowly starting to climb B|
If you hang in there guys, ity'll get better. Be strong and dont quit on your dreams!!!

I made 2 last Saturday and it was -15 F. at altitude.

For those of you that said it is too cold, yer a bunch of weenies :P