Airviking

Walking bag vs. dragging container

I used to flat pack, (which was sooo easy [:/]) now I'm learning Propack/Psychopack. Seems like nobody uses drag mats any more. Instead of pulling the rig (by pulling the lines) toward the bag while stowing the lines, the bag is walked toward toward the rig. Why? Seems like a lot more physical work than just sitting in one spot with the bag, and pulling on the lines.
I believe you have my stapler.

Dragging the rig across the floor causes wear and tear on the container fabric. Doesn't sound like much, but if you keep the rig for 10 years and do thousands of jumps, all that little wear can add up.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Sure, if you want to use a drag mat.

For many, a drag mat is a waste of time (unless packing outside) and it is easier/quicker to just walk the d-bag up the lines. Just like some people use packing weights, some don't. Some use a pull up cord, some use a packing tool. Some pack themselves, some use packing tools...er, packers...:P

It's all a choice.

There seems to be no reason that drag mats had to die out.

But I'm guessing that the greater amount of indoor packing helped do them in.

No longer is everyone outside, keeping the rig off the grass & dirt, and then putting the mat on top of the rig to keep the sun off.

No longer is everyone outside, keeping the rig off the grass & dirt, and then putting the mat on top of the rig to keep the sun off.

Yeah, that's one thing I'm gonna miss. Back in "the good old days", skydiving was entirely an outdoor activity. After you landed, you packed outside, which meant that you stayed connected with the sky, the planes taking off and landing, and the skydivers landing.

Now, skydiving is mainly indoors. Packing, dirt diving, reviewing videos etc, all done indoors.

Just wanted to make sure it isn't not based on some wierd myth about repeatedly pulling on the lines.

How much do you weigh? How fast are you going when you deploy?

Now, how much does the rig weigh? How strong are you when you pull your lines with one hand?;)

I've been reading about this for a while, and looking at other's equipment, some of whom I know drag, others, I'm pretty sure don't.

When I look at similar aged containers, the additional level of wear I've seen is minimal (bear in mind, I've only seen a few hundred rigs, not exactly a large sample), with the worst I've seen being a slight discoloration to the 3-ring ring cover.

Now the thing that really worries me is handles. At my DZ there are metal support pillars attached to the floor of the packing hall by four large bolts. Get a reserve handle snagged on one of those and you're going to look like a bit of a tit.

[:/]

Just wanted to make sure it isn't not based on some wierd myth about repeatedly pulling on the lines.

How much do you weigh? How fast are you going when you deploy?

Now, how much does the rig weigh? How strong are you when you pull your lines with one hand?;)

I kinow, I know, I just grasping at straws with that statement.

But what I've gotten is that (assuming a clean packing surface) people prefer to move the bag to either dragging the rig (because of wear), or mounting a drag mat (because of inconvenience).

I use a drag mat, even indoors...My rig with 500+ jumps on it & looks like new. B|

The mat has a pocket with spare bands, pull-ups and closing loops, never have to hunt mid-packing.

I like pulling the rig to me because it's what I've always done, I feel it keeps the lines straight and tight.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

. Back in "the good old days", skydiving was entirely an outdoor activity. After you landed, you packed outside,....

I sort of remember something about going inside and packing on a table....
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

I drag the rig to me, I like how it helps me keep my lines straight and my stows neater - for me anyway.

concerns -

overall wear? I don't see much effect in overall gear wear

Handles - yup, don't like to think about them getting caught

specific wear? - that little square patch that covers the nylon loop for the cutaway system - that wears out faster definitely. I don't like that

none of this is making me into a bag-walker yet though

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

. Back in "the good old days", skydiving was entirely an outdoor activity. After you landed, you packed outside,....

I sort of remember something about going inside and packing on a table....

That musta been before the good old days.:D

Hey Viking, No one has yet extolled the virtue of drag packing rounds.............Always preceded by "scuse me miss, could you stand tension for me?"Great way to meet girls................

+1 You beat me to it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I used to be a dragger.

Now I walk the bag to the rig. You can keep the lines just as tight, it just takes a few hundred jumps of practice.

On rigs that have been dragged across the packing floor for years, I've seen friction damage on the bottom of the risers, right where the smallest ring is attached. Scary!

As stated above, not dragging the rig makes even more sense when a wingsuit is attached.

Alright, as usual when I ask a question, all the replies average out to "whatever...". (Probably because I tend to ask meaninless questions out of boredom.:P)

That said, I'm gonna split the difference: For my first stow, I will drag the rig on a mat, for the second stow, I will walk the bag, etc. until done.B|