Unstable

Chinese Seat Harness and Container

So I routinely cruize the Surplus Stores for vintage gear to collect and drive my wife crazy with, and at at Stop in Kansas city, I found a whole bin of very nice Chinese Manufactured seat parachutes identical to this one I found on Ebay ~ they look as if they've hardly been jumped, but the manufacturing quality was horrid: For example, the D-rings felt like they were cast from pot metal, the container itself was a thin cotton, and felt like it was entirely out of b-quality material. I'm just curious, but does anybody know anything about these Chinese seat rigs? they had them complete for $29, I didn't buy one, but I'm just very curious why the surplus market is full of these cheaply made seat parachute harnesses?

*edited to upload attachment
=========Shaun ==========

Sadly I think it's only a matter of time before we find a chinese made vector 3 out there for $200. There seems to be a considerable amount of expertise overseas in taking apart a quality made north american product and reproducing it for pennies on the dollar.

-Michael

And the ROLOEXX watches! :ph34r:

You can tell it's real because you can hear it ticking.

Ok, now does the Chinese have some sort of TSO program?

it shouldn't matter should it? wouldn't the gear still have to be tested under the US TSO?
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

it shouldn't matter should it? wouldn't the gear still have to be tested under the US TSO?

That wasn't the point of my question, it was an interest in knowing if the Chinese government had some sort of standards for parachute systems and if there was any testing. Curiosity on my part as to if, what and how this gear fits into their own standards.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That wasn't the point of my question, it was an interest in knowing if the Chinese government had some sort of standards for parachute systems and if there was any testing. Curiosity on my part as to if, what and how this gear fits into their own standards.

oops my bad
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

Note that it is possible for forged hardware to look like pot metal if they don't clean the forging dies often enough.
Most of that hardware looks like American MIL SPEC hardware at first glance.
Too bad FAA riggers are not allowed to repack those Chinese-made seat packs.
Fortunately, Canadian riggers are allowed to repack them ... if they can read the Chinese manual.
Hah!
Hah!
Fortunately, my day-job includes co-workers who speak: english, french, czech, spanish, punjabi, hindi, greek, and several chinese dialects.

Hi Jim,

I was in Paraguay in the early '90's and had lunch at MacDolands. We thought it tasted different. But it was the golden arches.

:P

JerryBaumchen

PS) If a foreign company wants to make a knock-off of a Vector III ( or any rig ) what would stop them from making a knock-off TSO label? It has been done, but by some folks working late at night at a US company. :S

Sadly I think it's only a matter of time before we find a chinese made vector 3 out there for $200. There seems to be a considerable amount of expertise overseas in taking apart a quality made north american product and reproducing it for pennies on the dollar.

-Michael

not sure about Chinese, but it seems the Czech have done a good job
http://www.marsjev.cz/products/sport-parachutes/n-1.html?lang=en

-Michael

"With Skyhook" B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Lets count and see how many direct knock offs we can remember. Back when Vector 2 was the king of the hill there was the Xerox. What was the name of the racer copy that you couldn't pull the rip cord on? Pacer? I seem to recall a south american one that started with a V? Volcan?

I mean those were direct hands down look alike copies. I'm not even counting the ones that were miner esthetic changes. It does surprise me that there are no direct knock offs today.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

They've got a decent program for their domestic gear that lives depend on. They make the management use the gear, and if management finds a clever way around this requirement, they execute them.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

-Michael

"With Skyhook" B|

Quit dissing the Czechs!
MARRS pays Bill Booth for a license to install Skyhooks in their harness/contianers.
I only repacked one MARRS harenss/container, but it was clear that the designeer knew what he was doing, far more than a mere "counterfitter." And sewing quality was first-rate.

Remember that Czechs are from the German military-industrial tradition and they always made better guns, airplanes, cars, etc. than any of their communist counterparts.
Think about all those Zlin aerobatic airplanes that won more than their share of international aerobatic competitions during the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. Also ask how many North American soaring schools depend upon Blanik gliders.

-Michael

Reverse-engineering is far less expensive than research-and-development, but remember Sandy Reid's words: "If you don't understand something, copy it exactly."

I'd jump a Wongs ;):P

When I was in Moscow Russia some years back there was a 'flea market' type thing we went to...TONs of Chinese knock off items, I loved the ADDIDAAS shoes!

Like the "SECON" watches available - for cheap - on the Lisbon docks during the 1980s.
Hah!
Hah!

-Michael

"With Skyhook" B|

Quit dissing the Czechs!
MARRS pays Bill Booth for a license to install Skyhooks in their harness/contianers.
I only repacked one MARRS harenss/container, but it was clear that the designeer knew what he was doing, far more than a mere "counterfitter." And sewing quality was first-rate.

Remember that Czechs are from the German military-industrial tradition and they always made better guns, airplanes, cars, etc. than any of their communist counterparts.
Think about all those Zlin aerobatic airplanes that won more than their share of international aerobatic competitions during the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. Also ask how many North American soaring schools depend upon Blanik gliders.

Hey I'm not dissing anybody!

I'm impressed they have it!!

I figured they pay the license fee or they would have called it something else...shows they are a step ahead of some US mnfrs.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~