Unstable

Chinese Seat Harness and Container

Hi rob,

And sewing quality was first-rate.

When I was in Poland in 2000 some of them were jumping Russian 'copies' of Vectors and that workmanship needed some help. :S

It is my 'understanding' that rigs built today in Russia are rather first-rate; but I have not seen anything from there lately.

JerryBaumchen

PS) Riggerrob & I each have one of these Chinese seat packs coming our respective ways. :o

Thanks, Shaun.

PS) Riggerrob & I each have one of these Chinese seat packs coming our respective ways

They had three, they were actually $29 each and I bought 2 complete rigs today, there was one left (but it's 2 hours away).

I was digging through the box of crap they have, and I found a bag marked "Recovery Parachute, 15'" and noticed safety stoes through the plastic. I opened it, and instead of a recovery chute, it was a full sleeve with the same markings, so I put one and two together and, hey, full rig! The only markings I can discern (I don't speak chinese) were "1991" which I assume is the DOM.

I have them in my car, tomorrow I'm going to put up lots of photos.
=========Shaun ==========

Sadly I think it's only a matter of time before we find a chinese made vector 3 out there for $200. There seems to be a considerable amount of expertise overseas in taking apart a quality made north american product and reproducing it for pennies on the dollar.

-Michael

It was at the world meet sometime during the 80’s. The Chinese showed up with an 8 way team wearing a copy of the Wonder Hog/Vector packed with a copy of the StratoCloud.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

PS) Riggerrob & I each have one of these Chinese seat packs coming our respective ways

They had three, they were actually $29 each and I bought 2 complete rigs today, there was one left (but it's 2 hours away).

I was digging through the box of crap they have, and I found a bag marked "Recovery Parachute, 15'" and noticed safety stoes through the plastic. I opened it, and instead of a recovery chute, it was a full sleeve with the same markings, so I put one and two together and, hey, full rig! The only markings I can discern (I don't speak chinese) were "1991" which I assume is the DOM.

I have them in my car, tomorrow I'm going to put up lots of photos.

Jerk, when you come to KC you go all old school and call me.. let me know you are coming and i will go with you to mickeys and play with parachutes with you.. oh speaking of i have some stuff here in my rigging room for you!
xoxox
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Jerk, when you come to KC you go all old school and call me.. let me know you are coming and i will go with you to mickeys and play with parachutes with you.. oh speaking of i have some stuff here in my rigging room for you!
xoxox
Joe

HA Good to hear from you Rigger Joe! Yes, I'll be in KC all next week rigging with Rigger Dave and getting practiced up for my MR exam. Wanna play next week?
=========Shaun ==========

A Chinese 8-way team arrived at the 1983 Canada Cup wearing genuine Vector 1 containers. I never did see what kind of reserves they had, but they were packed sloppily, two-humped camel style.
Hah!
Hah!
I forget what ype of mains they had, but they were run-of-the-mill 7-cell, F-111 squares.

Thanks Unstable,

My Chinese seat pack arrived today.

It is in almost new condition. I doubt if it was ever used in an airplane. My first guess is that it was built for a Nanjing CJ-6, two-seater, piston-engined trainer.

At first glance, it looks like it sat in a warehouse from 1991 until it was sold surplus. The only damage is where the suspension lines were cut off, just above the connector links.

This rig is an odd combination of 1930s Japanese technology, mixed with 1950s Russian technology.

Starting at the top, the spring-less, silk pilot-chute is definitely 1930s-vintage Japan. It has 8 gores and its suspension lines are only marginally thicker than Cypres cord, but are probably close to 100 pound tensile strength. The apex is pulled down even with the skirt. You would find a similar pilot-chute in an 1930s vintage American chute. Mind you I have seen similar pilot-chutes in Russian seat packs that were sewn during the 1980s.

The sleeve is also made of silk and has cotton stow bands for all the suspension lines, except the last two. The flap is locked by two pairs of red bungee cords. Instead of grommets, the locking flap has rectangular metal links, sewn in. That looks labour-intensive! Oddly, the line cover is tied shut with cotton tapes.

The bottom end of the suspension lines look like 550 cord, tied on with the same knot and stitch pattern as C-9.

The connector links are anodised, solid steel D-rings around 2500 pound tensile strength.

Most of the harness is made of nylon webbing that is close to MIL SPEC Type 13. Most of the joints are sewn with 3-point WW and what looks like 4 cord ... marginally less strong than American harnesses.

The shoulder friction adapters are also yellow-anodised steel and look slightly lighter than American MIL SPEC shoulder adjusters.

All the chest straps and leg straps meet in a quick-ejector box made of stamped steel plate. The sheet steel is thinner than MIL SPEC, so - again - probably around 2,000 pound tensile strength.

It has a solid saddle and the leg straps are sewn to it with a 5 inche spread, which makes me suspect that Chinese Air Force pilots have a significantly different testicular configuration????
Hah!
Hah!
.. either that or they are uncomfortable.

The ripcord pocket resembles 1950s vintage NATO, with a spiral spring. The housing is almost MIL SPEC coiled stainless steel tubing. It is machine sewn at both ends. An ADD locking plate and AAD pockets are sewn outside the left side flap.
The complicated ripcord handle is made of steel tubing. The cable is stainless steel, slightly thinner than MIL SPEC. The cylindrical swage resembles current East German hardware, while the ripcord pins are soldered on.

The cotton-cover seat cushion almost looks comfortable ... by military standards, and it's foam rubber still has some "life."

The back pad is small and does not completely cover the risers, creating the same snag hazard as most pre-Velcro seat packs.
UGLY!

The container is made of thin cotton and looks like the same pattern that Japanese pilots wore in the 1930s. It has a wire frame sewn into the pack tray. It has 4 flaps and is held closed by 2 ripcord pins. I understand that the white cotton flap - sewn inside the bottom flap is to prevent the pilot-chute from mixing with the canopy, but the extra flap sewn to the pack tray has me baffled???
The last grommets are biased towards the top flap. Oddly, there are 4 (nickle-plated brass) cones sewn to the top flap. I wonder if that is to accomodate two different sizes of canopy???

It depends upon four red, pack-opening bands to expose the (unsprung) pilot-chute to the wind. The POBs are made of round, red bungee cord finished with bent wire hooks. I sure hope those hooks get squeezed closed before entering service as they look like a major snag hazard.

Overall, it reminds me of 1980s Russian technology. And yes, I also refused to repack that faded, frayed and filthy piece!

I suppose I could replace the (24 foot diameter ?) canopy and repack it, but with all the organic materials, it would be on a 30 day repack cycle and would end up being more of a curiousity. Maybe I will give it to the museum when I get tired of it.

In conclusion, any Nanjing or Yak pilot would be safer buying a modern seat pack made by Butler or Softie.

I bought an antique parachute and now you expect me to buy a camera????

Holy thread-drift Batman!

Seriously, which model of point-and-shoot camera would you recommend for taking technical pictures, to illustrate rigging details?

And no, I am not going to buy a big, fancy SLR, with a dozen specialized lenses.

Seriously, which model of point-and-shoot camera would you recommend for taking technical pictures, to illustrate rigging details?

Dude just use your phone. lol. Or is that to fancy fer ya?

Are you mixed up? Everyone knows you can't take pictures with a phone. Phones are for talking. Cameras are for photos. Next thing you know you'll be telling us that you can type messages on phones, and check the weather forecast. Sheesh!

DAMN!!! ;)

Well, I didn't think it was going to be an issue, Rob! :)

On the serious, however - I use the shitty digital camera I've had for years to photograph things I want to post online. If you don't have a digital camera, I wouldn't give it another thought . . . except to ask Santa to bring you into the 1990's!!!!! :D:)

Cheers!

"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73