Bodyflight.Net

Do you think someone who wants to jump only a few times a year, should even bother?

Know what, though?

I'm one of those "fair weather" jumpers....no reason to jump when it's raining, no reason to jump when it's windy. I recently went uncurrent, and am now going to go uncurrent again.

I can't afford to jump each week, and sometimes I can't afford to jump each month. I take the precautions I feel are appropriate (EP reviews, talking with instructors, solo or two way, high pull), and I jump a huge canopy. Have I taken extra steps to learn more than your average "80 jump wonder"? Yes....do I know a lot? Not at all.

Does it concern me? Sure. Shit, skydiving as a whole concerns me.

So, should I take up bowling?

Ciels-
Michele

(BTW, this is not directed at Nightingale; more just commentary about my position....)

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I guess I'm a fair weather jumper. Living in Colorado I don't jump much cause I've turned into such a baby with the cold. If I do jump, I travel. Since I enjoy snowboarding, I spend most of my winter days on the slopes. ( Dressing for the cold when on the slopes is easier then dressing for the cold when skydiving.) If I feel a need to "get current" I'll take at least one trip. Heck, I haven't jumped since the last week in Dec. and don't see me doing another jump now till mid March or April.
The April trip will take me to Florida where I'll play in the tunnel before doing some big way stuff.
BTW, I have over 3,000 skydives, and am comfortable with my skydiving breaks. Most years I'll bang out over 200 skydives before the end of the season.

As an ex-office manager of a skydiving place, I saw it all the time, with people getting un-current. Heck, so long as they do the correct jumps with JMs to get back in the air, let them. That's job security for JMs.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Hehe, move outta paradise and that'll change REAL fast. I feel lucky when the weather is good enough to jump two weekends in a row.

Dave

Good reply..that's why they call it "sky" diving..the sky has something to do with it!
It's not all..stay current, compete, social, world record jump every weekend diving..
It is possible for someone to jump less than someone else and be more confident than someone who jumps a little more than that person and be less confident.
Heck, there's so many different scenarios of the topic here, there is no answer.
Might as well give up everything!

Well ever since he bought that helmet last year, he doesn't have as much money to jump. :D

You mean the one that makes his head look like a big.......oh nevermind.

As long as someone curvy rubs it for good luck before I go up I feel safe.:ph34r::D:ph34r:
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

Bodyflight, just replying to your original post but gonna say thisngs that are not a response to you too;).

In response to your original q:
I voted "sure Why not?"

In response to soem fo the posts I have seen.

I do not see what the big deal is. Skydiving is not about how many jumps you can make each year. (Well for some it is.) It is about experiancing each individual dive on its own terms. It is about figuring out why birds sing. For each of us it is an intesnely personal experience and a social one at times.

I skydive because for as long as I remember I have looked up at the sky and wanted to be there. If my budget or time only allows me to jump 1, 2, 3 or 30 times a year then who cares?

Maybe I come in just often enough to stay current until my finacial and time situation allows me to jump more. Maybe I come in once a year after I have an a license and I do one or two recurrency jumps and then I do a solo or a two way with a friend.

No matter what, as long as I am being safe and looking around for others, then who cares if I pay for a recurrency jump every year or not? I did not think it was about how many skydives you do. I thought it was about skydiving.

Now if the person is unsafe and behaves recklessly and cannot understand the reasons they are limited i to certain wing loadings and canopy sizes and approaches then I say no they do not jump. But if they observe the safety rules, fly safely, even if they flare late or early and hit hard, they are not hurting anybody. THey pay their money just like everyone else. They are here for the experience to the extent that they can partake of it. Let us not be elitist about it.

Now me personally, I plan on doing 217 jumps minimum this yearB|. We'll see if it happens. But if you have 1 to infinite jumps and only want to jump a few times a year I won't shun ya, I may not jump with ya, but hey right now not many would jump with me either :D:D:D. 33 and counting up baby.

I am fully aware that I will be told my opinion is wrong and that because I am a newbie I do not know what I am talking about. Oh well. I am sure I will survive the ordeal:ph34r:.

No matter what, as long as I am thinking about being safe and looking around for others, then who cares if I pay for a recurrency jump every year or not? I did not think it was about how many skydives you do. I thought it was about skydiving.

Because it doesn't matter what you think you're doing.

It matters what you're actually doing.

The only way to know the difference between the two is to have someone experienced evaluate your performance.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

No matter what, as long as I am thinking about being safe and looking around for others, then who cares if I pay for a recurrency jump every year or not? I did not think it was about how many skydives you do. I thought it was about skydiving.

Because it doesn't matter what you think you're doing.

It matters what you're actually doing.

The only way to know the difference between the two is to have someone experienced evaluate your performance.

quade

You are absolutely right. I should have said as long as I am being safe. I did not reread before I posted, I might have caught that right. Gonna change my post now;)

The issue of someone only jumping a few times a year depends on their base level of experience IMO.

I have a couple of friends that only manage to come out to the dz a couple of times a year. They have 2000+ jumps, have all the instructor ratings, one is a master rigger, lots and lots of years in the sport (20+, one nearly 30 years). They jump conservative canopies and we do conservative skydives. I don't worry about them at all...and neither should anybody else, they have enough knowledge to make good decisions.

Our club has a few people that come out a couple of times a year..these people have less than 100 jumps. They have no meaningful time in the sport, no experience and they are the type of "fair-weather" jumper that needs to be carefully dealt with. Quite often I do believe they should do something else as I think they are people that are still scared to death of jumping and are unlikely to ever put enough jumps together to become anything else.

Skydiving isn't a sport to dabble in....but people that have been hard-core for a number of years and were heads up good skydivers when they were active shouldn't be lumped in with low experience people who jump infrequently.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I used to believe that if you weren't extremely current you shouldn't bother. I clocked in around 900 skydives in 3 years in the sport. Then I moved and haven't been able to make so many skydives. In fact I keep current, barely. When I make it out I'm a feel like I never left. The only noticable difference is I feel tired after 3 jumps or so when I used to do 10 or more in a day before I felt tired. I don't believe my skills have waned although realistically they have. I guess it depends on how proficient you have become before you only jump enough to stay current.

Josh

Do you have 100, 500, 1000 jumps of experience? Or do you have 1 jump experience 100, 500, 1000 times?

I think those that crank out a lot of jumps and are active in the sport hardcore for a given amount of time have an easier time with the breaks. I believe this thread refers more to people who are still starting out and have maybe less than 100 jumps over 3-4-5 years. This is a much more difficult situation to make sure they are safe.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Do you have 100, 500, 1000 jumps of experience? Or do you have 1 jump experience 100, 500, 1000 times?

I got there one at aa time...I think...well there were a few I think that might count as a couple, then again there were probably some that didn't count at all...I hate all this thinking

Kids go get dad another beer. And don't open it on the edge of the counter, use your teeth like I taught you!

Rainbo
Damn its cold

Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

You cannot stereotype people. You cannot judge how others will do based on what that jumper did. I've done a few dozen re-currency jumps and retrains last year and the majority of them were excellent.

I had one "student" that had not jumped in over 30 years. She did her first jump, on a square last year and did a Level 3 release dive. It was a perfect sunset skydive and nice landing for the 64 year old birthday girl.

Some people are just too busy with their lives, family, business, etc. to stay current. These people love skydiving just as much as the next person, but may have circumstances that inhibit them from participating regularly. If they want to take the time to go through re-training I will gladly do their currency jump.

Ok, I have to chime in here because it seems that so many people who are lucky enough to be able to jump often think they get to decide who is worthy enough to take part in this sport.

First, Yes, I do understand that currency plays a big part in being safe. Of course I also read incident reports of way too many jumpers with hundreds or thousands of jumps who have just become careless. Believe me, I would LOVE to be able to jump more often!

Me…I started jumping May ‘99. I made 15 jumps that first year and became pregnant with my twins. I figured that as a single Mom I would never get to jump again so I was happy to have just been able to have the experiences that some will never have. Almost three years later I couldn’t take it anymore and HAD to jump. I took all the refreshers necessary and started jumping again. Because I am a single Mom and because I don’t make what some people spend for jumps per year I don’t get to jump much. Anyway, over the past 2 years I have made 60 jumps. By definition from some of you I should just quit.

I have news for you , I will NOT! I have jumped more hurdles than many of you will ever know to be able to keep jumping. If you knew what was involved in my life you would ask how I manage to make time to jump at all, not to mention how I afford it. I have to have someone to watch my kids and I do not jump on days when the wind is high or being funky. It also happens to be 20 degrees outside right now so I’m not jumping till it warms up a either. I jump a Spectre 150 loaded 1:1 and I fly very conservatively under it.

I also happen to be one of the people at the DZ that people look at funny when I tell them my jump numbers because I AM at the DZ as much as possible. Jumping or not. Again, according to those of you who seem to forget what the simple love of jumping is like, you think that this sport is only for those with plenty of money and no other life responsibilities. I would understand if an instructor who actually knew my skill level told me that this was not the sport for me but who are you to pass judgment?!

BettyAnn

Getting married? Check out my website!

Some people are just too busy with their lives, family, business, etc. to stay current. These people love skydiving just as much as the next person, but may have circumstances that inhibit them from participating regularly. If they want to take the time to go through re-training I will gladly do their currency jump.

Shark.... you are awesome!
Thank you everyone for your opinions here... I am very relieved to see that MOST of you would welcome part timers and fair weather skydivers with open (but maybe cautious) arms.

My personal experience is...
my first 17 jumps all in the first 2 months. Then I moved away from DeLand to the Smokies where there is no jumping. I made a few recurrency jumps here and there, then we moved back to Florida again recently. 2 months ago we got here, I have made 5 jumps since then (one recurrency and the rest hopnpops, but am truly unable to do more. I think some would have me just hang up my rig, but every since 4th grade I have wanted to skydive.

I shall share with you something I wrote which captures my thoughts perfectly:

Taming the Dream
by Dawn Suiter
edited for dz.com

I used to have these dreams when I was young about being able to soar in the sky like a bird, of course inevitably even in my dreams I always had to come back down. Some friends have mentioned over the years that controlling your dreams is a matter of having a waking dream, a concept I never have mastered. Instead, I made my dreams a reality and joined the rest of the enlightened world and learned how to fly! I am a wind tunnel flyer AND a skydiver and I can SOAR now, not in a waking dream but in my life, in my reality.

History shows us that this great mystery of man and his ability to rise above life's challenges and conquer, is simply the way we are. Defiance is sometimes mistaken for determination, and above all else as individuals, we are determined. Determined to succeed in my life, I found myself thinking of those who dreamed before me; Aristotle, Da Vinci, Prandtl, the Wright Brothers. These people knew that a dream could be a reality if only there was enough determination, and what they have ALL proved in their passing is that yes, we as human beings CAN realize our dreams no matter how outlandish they seem, and that only a little self determination and empowerment can equal limitless possibilities.

So what is my dream now? Well, I unlike my afore mentioned counterparts am not a great painter, engineer or aerodynamicist, I am simply me. The me I choose to be, and no one, no matter how hard they try, could ever fill my shoes. I spread my arms wide and embrace the wind, my confidant and my vice because without it there would be no dream. Mother Nature is the inventor and I am simply the connoisseur of her great creation. Therefore it is not really a dream but something completely attainable to anyone human with the desire and determination to get it, and achieve it. Like the great bird of prey I manipulate wind gusts and cloud ceilings from time to time, while my aerial view stretches for miles and I consume the beauty, and the passion that belongs only to me in this minute of my life.

Memories last forever, but experiences change your life. I am someone new, as if my rebirth came when I learned how to stretch my wings and let go. To let go of tangible things. In flight the problems of yesterday are gone; absent from your mind. Release from endless boundaries and restrictions used to facilitate cohabitation and goodwill among men. Relentless stresses of career, family and personal achievement simply melt away when I stretch out and submit to my dreams. Inner peace comes with brutal self honesty and the satisfaction in knowing that you are the best that you can be.
:)

Hmmm. Interesting concept. I haven't jumped since May. You know, the whole money, family, time, etc. thing. I can only speak of Elsinore, but I know that if I want to go back to jump, I will have to sit through an extensive retraining program. Maybe when the money gets better and the time improves, I'll jump more.

In short, I'll jump what I can afford. Since I cannot afford a 60 or 600 jump year, I need to stick only to tandems? Jeez, I'm not asking to be on a big way. Nor would I be asked on a big way anytime soon - I'm ugly and I'm not a female.;)

Would you tell me to stick to tandems, thus precluding any advancement or practice in skills under a big PD Nav 260?

Sorry for the late reply - I've actually been busy at work.

I took the question as someone starting and only wants to jumps literally 2 times a year, then babbled on about a kinda different topic - currency for sport jumpers. I know skydiving is expensive and its hard to get out alot, especially just making it through AFF or your A license now. I have no problem if someone wants to pay for the an AFF class and AFF jump everytime they come out. I would just hope they could make it out more than 2 times a year so they could actually improve on their skills as opposed to just life saving skills. (I'm sure this will be taken out of context)

Judy

Over my years in skydiving :S(only 7) I've seen lack of currency almost kill several people.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I think what some of us are having a problem with is that some people are so elitist that they would ectually treat someone as unwelcome just because they are only able to make a few jumps a year (insert your definition of a few here).

And most of us seem to think that as long as a person plays by the currency and safety rules, they should be welcomed into the sport with at least a little kindness. At least they are jumping and not looking at us wondering why on earth we are not touching the earth.:D.

I have no problem with expecting anyone who has been away from jumping for exteneded periods of time having to follow recurrency rules, and as long as they are willing to do so, then I think we should welcome them to the DZ at least. We should ecnourage them in the few jumps they do each year. Maybe by doing so we might actually inspire them to come out more. Who knows? I am just speculating here anyway.

If that's all they want to do, they should just do tandems. Only jumping a few times a year is very dangerous.

Judy

I never did a tandem until after I had over 500 jumps. In fact my first jump was a solo jump from 3200'. There are few instances where somebody should be forced to do a tandem as opposed to any other type of jump.

never pull low......unless you are

yeh i love to jump fair enough i only have 3 but some times it's not easy getting time off wrk exspecially wen they know why you want it, I'm not able to jump as often as id like and am trying to keep as current as pos every oppertunity i get ill be at the dz doing courses and practisezs ifthe weather is poo and wen I have a day off wrk.

What I'm seeing as a pattern here is that people with hunderds or thousands of jumps usually have one opinion, but the less experienced jumpers have another. I don't think its an elitest stance that the more experienced people are coming from, its just that the more experienced jumpers are speaking from watching similar situations occur time after time.

What scares me the most out of every one at any DZ I've ever been to are the people that are "current" by USPA standerds, but only by a day or two and usually time their one jump for that peroid just to remain that way. They come out to the DZ and do one jump then leave. They don't have to do recurrency or jump with an instructor since they are "current", but yet they fly like they are not.

I truely agree its extremely easy to see who is current and who is not the first nice weekend in the spring up north. Those that are not current and don't have the raw experience yet are those that are landing off, flying wacked out patterns, or are so far off on their flare they either are digging or stall the canopy.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yes, Phree, you are correct. Those who have been around longer are those who see what lack of currency can do. In fact, I would say that my skill level would probably be no better than an AFF 4 right now. Sure, my knowledge base is vastly better, but it doesn't mean shit until I can apply it.

I've gone within a couple of days of being non-current, and my exit was not exactly the best. And it is a shame that so many have to choose between maintaining their credit and jumping, having to work and having fun, etc.

Should it be a bar to the sport? Or, should those jumpers be limited in what they do to make it the safest possible? Shouldn't the answer be to exercise extreme caution with those jumpers, and ensure that in this sport of individualism they survive?

Or, should they be kicked to the curb like members of a country club who can no longer afford their club dues?

The only way a person can prove he or she belongs in the sky is to be in the sky. I've already proven I can do it 18 times. I just know that I'll be back to square 1 or step four in terms of regaining that trust of others.

That seems to be the fair way.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I truely agree its extremely easy to see who is current and who is not the first nice weekend in the spring up north. Those that are not current and don't have the raw experience yet are those that are landing off, flying wacked out patterns, or are so far off on their flare they either are digging or stall the canopy.

This observation is pure wisdom. Either you can or you cannot. There is no try in this sport, at least when safety is concerned.

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

Those that are not current and don't have the raw experience yet are those that are landing off, flying wacked out patterns, or are so far off on their flare they either are digging or stall the canopy.

Um, Phree?

I do that at my most current...;)....shoot, I even did it during the canopy class I took w/ the guys at Perris...someday, ask them about Michele's landing in Hemet....

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

personally, I feel a little weird if even one weekend goes by when I haven't jumped. Two weeks is scary. Three weeks, I'm doing a coach jump, even though technically, I'm still current.

Ok, Kris, that seems an extreme statement to make. I think that it is because you only have 32 jumps that you feel that one or two weekends of not jumping is scary, and that you need to jump with a coach at only three weeks of not jumping. I used to feel similar when I first began to jump as I used to jump every weekend! (YAY!)

Before I went to the Eloy Holiday Boogie, I was sick a lot and had made 4 jumps in 3 months. My first jump in Eloy, I was a little nervous, but it was a 2-way with Gawain. He though that it went very well, so I jumped onto 4-ways and larger fun jumps. Now, I will be jumping at the Elsinore Instructor Burnout Boogie after only having jumped 1 jump since the Eloy Boogie, but I still feel comfortable in my flying abilities. (Besides that 1 jump, I will be over 1 month without "regular" jumping.) Now that I have had surgery, I plan on jumping my little heart out...as much as I can afford!

You will feel more comfortable jumping, Kris, even if/when you have to take off a month here and there, I promise. :)