skreamer

Help needed with incident report

Hi people

I need some help writing up an incident report. I'd like this person to stay in the sport but feel that maybe if I wrote up a decent incident report for them they might be more careful in future.

Here is what happened : This past Tuesday (5 February 2004) my 63 year old mother slipped while playing tennis in the evening and broke her wrist. This required some surgery (pins) and a cast. From subsequent phone calls I understand the following :

> It had been raining previously and there were puddles - should she have been playing tennis in those conditions?
> Tennis is a contact sport, occasionally people fall over - why did she not PLF correctly?
> When she realized she was going to fall over, did she not have any outs planned?
> What shoes was she wearing? Were they too advanced for her? What is she loading her shoes at? (God, I'm going to catch it for that one! :D)
> Was the time of day a factor?
> Would coaching have helped prevent this situation?
> I understand that occasionally after a game she and her playing (ahem drinking) partners have been known to have a drink or two. Was a blood sample taken to ensure she was not under the influence during the game? btw is Horlicks a banned substance? (we all know it happens in tennis, unfortunately some turn a blind eye to it).

I'm expecting comprehensive truthful answers to all these questions.

My thanks to Phreezone for helping me with the list so far. Once it is complete I will be emailing it to my mother. She is 63 years old, I think it is time she stopped playing tennis and hiking in the mountains all week and settle down and knit jerseys like all the other old ladies. (LOL, I'm going to be disinherited for that one!).

So, anyway, any further suggestions about how she could've avoided her injury (obviously staying off the courts would be one - it is better to be on the sides wishing you were out there than....) will be most welcome. Once I have a comprehensive list I'll email it to her (apart from the disinheriting thing I'm safe, she's in SA, I'm in UK).

Will

PS she says she can still go hiking, can still drink, will now serve underhand while she has cast but is really pissed off she is not allowed to drive. :)
PPS my mom is cool.

Once I have a comprehensive list I'll email it to her (apart from the disinheriting thing I'm safe, she's in SA, I'm in UK).

Obviously you don't understand the wrath of Mom!!!!! They can do things, y'know. Things you never even thought of.

And yes, she's gonna do them ;)

And, um, include the condition of the shoes -- even the best shoes can get ragged out, and need either a reline or replacement.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What the hell kind of son are you? Didn't you BUY her the shoes and equipment she was using?

You should have, you ungrateful open postule of a man! If you had provided her with adequate equipment LIKE SHE DID FOR YOU YOUR WHOLE WHINING BOYHOOD you wouldn't be asking these questions.

For that matter why the hell weren't you there to catch her!

Look, Skreamer! Charging Rhino! You're mom sent it!

:P

What the hell kind of son are you? Didn't you BUY her the shoes and equipment she was using?

You should have, you ungrateful open postule of a man! If you had provided her with adequate equipment LIKE SHE DID FOR YOU YOUR WHOLE WHINING BOYHOOD you wouldn't be asking these questions.

For that matter why the hell weren't you there to catch her!

Look, Skreamer! Charging Rhino! You're mom sent it!

:P

Way to go, Duece. I couldn't have put it any better.

FFF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

No dude, that is my mom

You are so in trouble!!! I'll send her vibes on the mom-net. You'll see.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What kind of reserve was it?

What were the wind conditions?

What was the experiance of the others around her?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Was it a high performance elliptical racket? or only lightly elliptical?

Was it crossbraced, tri cell?

I heard the USTA was considering regulating the use of some high performance rackets, maybe your mom shouldn't be "grandfathered" in and should consider upsizing.

Never go to a DZ strip show.

What color were her tennis shoes in relation to her outfit? As with all sports, the only important thing is that you're matchy-matchy.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

63 is at LEAST 2 decades too soon to take up knitting.
If your mom is that active MORE POWER to her.

My grandfather is 88 years old and still plays the trumpet in 3 DIFFERENT BANDS.
He plays no less than 4 gigs a week not to mention practices. The trumpet is a very physical instrument to play too. Thats a tiring schedule for a young person let alone someone approacing 90.
He just keeps on rockin. I hope to hell I'm like that B|

Dont try to make her old before its time B|

How long had she been in the sport before trying such complicated maneuvers in such hazardous conditions? How many times had she played tennis before...and for how long?

How long had it been since she played her last game? was she current?

:)

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

My grandfather is 88 years old and still plays the trumpet in 3 DIFFERENT BANDS

I do not even want to KNOW what he did 'one time at band camp'.. :D

Thanks for all the feedback people, will pass it along. :)

Dude, you're such a TROLL!!! This is such a hoax folks! Man, I can't believe all these people fell for it.

Prolly bought those tennis kicks from an unscrupulous dealer.Sold her shoes that were at least three sizes to small for her experience level.:o
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

How long has she been playing?
How many games? Sets?
How many games on the current racket?
Was she wearing a helmet? Elbow pads? Knee pads?
How were the winds on the court?

Not to speculate, but I've heard so many reports of incidents like this lately, and the same factors always come into play. You stated in your initial report that this was a sunset match, and I'm willing to bet she was blinded by the sun setting on the horizon. It's also known that depth perception is compromised in the evening. My mom's friend's sister's boss's stepsister's hairdresser said that by the time your mom saw the ball flying at her head, she initiated a radical maneuver to avoid object strike, and hit the ground before she could recover from the maneuver. Yup. That's definitely what happened. I'm totally sure. :|

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.