AggieDave

So I called up Potato Shack...

To order a couple tricked out potatos for dinner and spent a good 2-3 minutes trying to convience the guy that they had a Atkins friendly potato.

I thought it was hilarious, once he figured out what was going on, he thought it was funny too.

Ok, seriously, that was funny.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah all these fad diets are laughable. People want to lose weight by doing nothing. Doesn't work. You can talk about the Atkins, South Beath diet, count your Deal-A-Meal cards, drink your meals in a shake etc...doesn't come close to comparing to good ole healthy eating and excersize. The Atkins diet will fade out like all the failed ones before it.

Forty-two

doesn't come close to comparing to good ole healthy eating and excersize

That's why I like the Body For Life book/program and highly recommend it to people. That's what the book tells you to do and how to do it.

Did you know that the Atkins diet has been around for a long time? Its only become really really popular in the past couple years, though. It stems from the extreme-low carb diets that competing bodybuilders use in the weeks leading up to a contest. Funny, though, they don't do it very much, just the weeks leading up to a contest, then they get off of that diet. People don't realize how very unhealthy it is and how important complex carbs are to their overall health, well being and mental health.

That is hilarious! I hope you don't mind, but I think these diet things are silly for me anyway. I am doing exercise for 10 min. and stretching for 10 min. twice a day. and tummy attention for 5 minutes. It is working nicely.-Caress
I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

The Atkins diet didn't get popular till Dr Atkins died. Sorta like an artist.

huh? didn't he just die within the last few days? the diet's was first popular in the late 70's early 80's
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

He died a few months ago, maybe even up to 6 months ago, but yeah, its been around for a while.

Still just as bad for your body as it was back then.

Wait, but a doctor came up with it, so it MUST be healty...[:/]

I have some friends and family who have lost a significant amount of weight on the atkins diet. They are very happy with their results and try to convince me regularly to give it a go. But I've lost just as much weight by limiting my caloric intake and getting excercise regularly. I just can't be on a diet that won't allow or limits my intake of fruit, pasta, bread, and milk among other things.

As far as it being healthy...I struggle with that idea, too. I mean, a man comes into my restaurant the other day, on atkins, and ordered 10 buffalo wings and a chicken, bacon, and cheese sandwhich minus the bun. Doesn't SEEM healthy to eat so much meat. But, what do I know? A doctor lecturing for one of my classes had all good things to say about the atkins diet and not just because people have lost weight on it. As a smart girl, though, I'll be sure to get that second opinion before I decide. ;)
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

Do me a big favor, next time you're in Borders or Barnes and Nobles or Wal-Mart, check out the book "Body For Life" just flip through it and see what it says.

That's the sort of thing that America needs to read and follow for healthy living. Its all about excersize and a balanced diet.

"Yes, I'll have 12 Big Mac sammiches, no bread and a DIET Coke, I'm on the Atkins diet..."

I was talking with a friend of mine about dieting and exercise and such....and she mentioned body for life.
Since barnes and noble is closed at this hour, can you refresh my memory?

You eat healthy for six days out of the week, allow one day to go off diet? Is that right? Get regular exercise?
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

Hey, Aggie. You're 20 something.

Come talk shit when you're my age.

Decrepit old bastards need far less carbohydrates than youngsters, but they are in the habit of eating a certain volume.

The concentration of calories has to shift as you get older and want to eat that same volume of food.

Me at 36 and me on my 40th.

Pseudo-Atkins for life.

Decrepit old bastards need far less carbohydrates than youngsters, but they are in the habit of eating a certain volume.

The ratio should stay roughly the same, although overall caloric intake may shift.

I'm trying to get back into shape to stay that way so I don't end up having to do anything drastic when I'm older. I'm still working on building a bit more mass/strength before I start leaning out my diet (lowering my daily caloric intake slightly and cranking the cardio back up).

I'm very happy that you made a choice to be healty in your life, though!