steve1

Brother is about dead...Too much boose.

For the past several decades my brother has been keeping up the family tradition of alcoholism. He went to treatment a couple years ago and he was told if he continued to drink he'd die. Soon after treatment he started drinking again. He checked into a hospital a few weeks ago because he was too weak to stand up. They sent him home saying there's nothing they can do, and that he will be dead soon.

My 75 year old mother and step-dad are now in Palm Springs trying to take care of him. They wanted to bring him back to Oregon to die, but he's too weak to make the trip. Each day they see him get a little weaker. He fell off the toilet the other day. His liver is shot and he can't eat. My Mother sleeps in the same bed with him so she can give him the morphine he needs to fight the pain. What a way to go! My Mom called up the other day crying saying it's the biggest nightmare of her life. My brother once lived in the high rent district on a golf course. Now he is pennyless and doesn't even have hospital insurance. I hope I'm not depressing everyone too much by writing this. Thanks for listening....Steve1

My deepest sympathies are extended to your brother, yourself, your Mother, and all others who are trying their hardest to deal with this.
Could I encourage you to use your brothers story to maybe encourage a change in other people's lives before the follow down the same path? This shouldn't happen to anyone...
=========Shaun ==========

It's a horrible thing. The words "esophageal varices" are typically an indication that the end is near. I've been through it.

Alcoholism runs on both sides of my family. That's why I RARELY get drunk. When I do, I typically stop drinking for a few days. I even stop drinking every January (except SUper Bowl Sunday and my birthday) so that I can be sure I'm not in DT's.

It's a horrible thing, and something that can be learned from by those willing to heed the lesson.

Vibes to you, steve.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

so extremely sad, such a horrible way to go- for your brother- and so awful for everyone in your family...
[:/]:(:(>:(:([:/][:/]

What a way to go! My Mom called up the other day crying saying it's the biggest nightmare of her life.

My sister was diagnosed with Cirrhosis years ago but she was not alcoholic...very unfortunate she had contacted Hep C. The liver is like a huge sponge and gets larger (she looked more than 9 months pregnant) and the rest of her precious body was skin and bone. Accites and edema, jaudice- hepatic encephalopathy as toxic metabolites, normally removed from the blood by the liver, reach the brain. Any medication taken is hard on the liver so a fine line between letting body take its natural course or to try intervene with medicaiton or feeding through the veins for nutrition. As the disease progressed (diabetes and bowel disease) her white blood cell count was too low for liver biopsy and for the last months of her life could not eat. Palliative care with morphine until she passed away last June. Indeed the most horrible way anyone could go as process takes years....she did not drink a drop of booze throughout it all. Of course being aware of the outcome you grieve together with them--before they are gone, and that doesn't lessen the grieving you do after.

I found I could not enjoy skydiving last year but thank god I have it in my heart -and now this season will let her rip again...
B|B|:PB|B|
I have so very much to live for.

huge hugs and kisses

SMiles;)

[:/] :( [:/] my heart goes out to you steve1
and to your family and of course to your brother...
so many difficulties and obstacles we must face as we go through life.....The JOYS of parenting ,,, The AGONIES of parenting...:( :(
When a family member has any illness,,,it can be SO difficult...... for all.....
May you each find peace and may your brother be at ease.....and be welcomed in Heaven..

There is no hard and fast rule. If you are a real alcoholic you may not be the first to know. Actually everyone around you will be the first to know. I have a buddy who is 20 years old. He ends up in the hospital EVERY time he drinks. I also know people who drank real hard for 50 years. Didn't phase 'em.
Most people are not alcoholic, however if it runs in your immediate family be careful. If not, then drink responsibly.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

My sister was diagnosed with Cirrhosis years ago but she was not alcoholic...very unfortunate she had contacted Hep C. The liver is like a huge sponge and gets larger (she looked more than 9 months pregnant) and the rest of her precious body was skin and bone.
reply]

This describes my brother exactly. He's now skin and bones with a huge stomach. His eyes and skin are yellow. He's also out of his head a lot, talking about paranoid stuff. I doubt if he'll make it through the week. My Mother says she knows they need to start packing up his stuff, but they can't bring themselves to do it.

And thanks again for all the nice replies. It really does help....Steve1

Alcoholism is a brutal thing. I deal with alcoholics almost on a daily basis and it really does effect a lot more than just the alcoholic, vibes and prayers to your brother, and everyone involved.

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Steve,

My condolences to all involved. I spend a lot of time with people who are trying to recover from alcohol and/or drug abuse issues. Still don't know why some make it and others don't. You could say it's a matter of willingness, but then where does the willingness come from? Ultimately it seems to be a grace thing.

Your brother's situation motivates me to continue a while longer down the road I've chosen, towards a different destination.

Peace.

My prayers go out to you and your family Steve.
It's always sad to hear ETOH has affected another life like this. I was stuck in an alcohol rut and gave it up completely 19 months and 3 days ago. Actually, I got in some trouble and was given a choice. I have mandatory AA meetings for another 3 1/2 years. But my life is so much better these days. For what it's worth, your stories inspire me to stay clean and sober. Thanks.
Peace Bro...
Billy

Natural Born FlyerZ.com

It doesn't always take years to die of alcohol. We have to be careful anytime we drink. I can't tell you how clearly stupid it seems to risk your life over alcohol when you're watching your best friend drain iv bag after iv bag and the nurse keeps returning asking if he took any other drugs cuz he's in "a lot of trouble". Have fun but remember there are more important things to live for...

woa....that was cool....

This describes my brother exactly. He's now skin and bones with a huge stomach. His eyes and skin are yellow. He's also out of his head a lot, talking about paranoid stuff. I doubt if he'll make it through the week.

your brother is out of his head because of encephalopathy. it happens when the liver can't function correctly, can't process proteins and is part of end stage liver disease.
the abdominal swelling is called ascites and is a fluid build up in his abdominal cavity. the liver produces chemicals in your body that help keep the "fluid" in your vessels. when it doesn't, the fluid seeps out and pools in the abdomen and appendages. that's why he's so swollen.

alcoholism, hep c, all of it: same outcome.

i wish your brother a passing where he's not afraid and in as little pain as possible. i'm so sorry to hear about this. :(

Steve,

Prayers and hugs going your way and to your family. My twin sister died of cirrhosis, so I know what you and your family might be going through. It's very tough:(.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

i wish your brother a passing where he's not afraid and in as little pain as possible. i'm so sorry to hear about this.

As she said.

Steve, you, your family, and especially your brother are being prayed for, loved, and held safe.

If there's something I can do, please let me know. I'm not too far from Palm Springs, and if there's a service I can do, I will be happy to.

Reach out when you need to - there is some great experience in this thread - and lots of sympathy coming from others.

Blessed be.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I have four liters of booze for the guys at the DZ, since I can get it for cheap overseas and figure I may as well bring in my allotment.

Nevertheless, I am impressed with just what evil shit ethanol can be. The last time I touched the stuff personally was the day before my niece was born, and she's now applying to colleges. I intend to die at a ripe old age without ever touching it again.

I feel badly to hear of your brother, and hope his life has otherwise been a full one. He certainly has a caring family, which is more than some people will ever have.

Blue skies,

Winsor