jkm2500

What religion are you?

You are correct about the dictionary definition of agnosticism. Unfortunately, many atheists, agnostics and Deists can never really agree on what they think the definitions are. Some atheists are absolutely, wholeheartedly convinced that there is no, never will be, and you are stupid to even consider that there is a god (not the best opinion if you ask me). Some atheists believe completely that there is no god, but are smart enough to realize that belief is nothing more than a strongly held opinion until there is proof. Some would call these people agnostics. I am one of these yet stand by the term atheism since I simply do not believe at all. Maybe weak-atheist is a better term there.

Some agnostics think there probably isn't a god but there could be (strong-agnostic maybe? A really-weak-atheist?). Some are just not willing to believe one way or the other (I like to call them fence-sitters). Some think there may be a god, but we will never know what it is (Dictionary definition. Also a very weak Deist?) Some Believe there is definitely a god, but we will never know him/her/it (weak agnostic? Strong Deist?) and so on and so on till you get to George Bush who is a.... Just kidding. Just pushing someone's buttons.

Anyway. agnostisim, atheism, and deism are not religions so they don't really need a set definition. I hope everyone is having a great sunday!
--------------------------------------------------
If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see

I hope you're not confusing nihilism and atheism.

Atheism = one who believes that there is no deity..

Nihilism = A viewpoint that traditional values and beliefs are unfounded and that existence is senseless and useless. A doctrine that denies any objective ground of truth and especially of moral truths

The difference is that atheists can still have morals. Nihilists tend to be psychopathic.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

How do you know that one or more of these Gods doesn't exist?

The very definitions of the various deities are absurd, and not worth serious consideration. I would as likely discuss what powers Mighty Mouse has, and whether was a greater superhero than Underdog. We"re talking fanciful constructs in either case, and I question the sanity of anyone who appears unable to distinguish between cartoons and reality. The same goes for religion.

Can you conclusively prove so?

To my satisfaction, yes. I don't consider it my job to convince anyone else, since it should be pretty obvious to anyone with a clue.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Gotta put me in the atheist catagory. I guess my biggest turn off to organized religions comes from the fact that more people in the history of the world have died because of organized religions than any other reason (please read unnatural deaths).

If religion is truly about finding inner peace though submission to a higher being, then why do so many really find enough inner hate to destoy other lifes to prove their point. Just my humble inner most self thinking again, sorry.

Rainbo
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

Since it is Sunday I was wondering how everyone else out there is worshiping today.

I worship every day. Not just Sunday, but with every glorious sunset, each butterfly, the smile of a person crossing my path....every day.

Every day I am held accountable. Every day I can bring my faith into physical being (worship). Every day I am graced with opportunities to demonstrate my faith.

Every day.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Since it is Sunday I was wondering how everyone else out there is worshiping today.

I worship every day. Not just Sunday, but with every glorious sunset, each butterfly, the smile of a person crossing my path....every day.

Every day I am held accountable. Every day I can bring my faith into physical being (worship). Every day I am graced with opportunities to demonstrate my faith.

Every day.

Ciels-
Michele

AMEN!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

I thought I was the only L.D.S. skydiver here.

I know of four now. Should have just had a thread that said "Who here is LDS?" People would probably think you meant to say "Who here is on LSD?" You never know what kind of responses he would have gotten then.
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

People would probably think you meant to say "Who here is on LSD?" You never know what kind of responses he would have gotten then.

:)

Rainbo
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

If memebers of the LDS church always swear that they're "Christian" then why is it a seperate option? I thought that was one of their major recruiting points, atleast it has been everytime they've knocked on my door and I've had a very long theological debate with them.

The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint's second Article of Faith reads....
"We believe in god the eternal father, and in his son, jesus christ, and in the holy ghost"
I am a member of the LDS church, and I have been my entire life. I am an active member, attend all my meetings and participate in the Branch. Let me assure you, that we are christians, we believe in the attonment of Jesus Christ and we believe the bible to be the word of god...
Many faiths now days consider us an occult or worse, because we differ on some basic beliefs, like the trinity, Modern Revelation, Scripture, Temple Work, so on and so fourth. Every Christian Denominaion has fundemental differences, and I don't see them accusing the Presbyterians (for example, no offense) of being an Occult. Understanding here is the key, and I want to Encourage any of you with questions to please PM me.....
=========Shaun ==========

I thought I was the only L.D.S. skydiver here.

I Thought I was too - Everybody always give me a funny look when I bring in 4 cases of Coke to pay up for my new rig or something......:D

I haven't gotten far enough into skydiving yet to have to buy beer. I was wondering how I was going to handle that. Besides I'm underage so I can't buy it anyways.

P.M.S. #102

That would be awesome, but I gotta get through AFF first! I've got another 2 months before I can start AFF, but after that we'll talk!

I'm sure We could Dig up enough Mormon Jumpers for a good 25 way or something!!! I'm actually pretty excited about this!!! We could send it to Church HQ, they always have stuff like that in the Ensign....You finish AFF up, and if you can make it to WFFC we'll have to get in touch, until then, I'm going to start working on this.....:)

I'll most likely not make it, but you work on that! It sounds like a great idea! I hope you get lots of support for it! I'm sure there are lots of LDS jumpers out there who love to participate. Who knows....the prophet could talk about it at General Conference or something...:D

P.M.S. #102

Who knows....the prophet could talk about it at General Conference or something...

LOL probably not that far, but I could see it in the New Era at Least!!! I'm going through and collecting DZ.com ID's from confirmed LDS jumpers right now.... If you are one and are interested, please let me know - I am not joking with this, I can make this happen!!:)

I'm an atheist, so I voted for "other".

However, atheism is not a religion.
Atheism does not require faith, and atheists do not claim to be able to prove that god(s) don't exist.
OK, some probably do, but they are the rare exception.
-Josh
Atheist Skydivers Association #1
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.