jkm2500

What religion are you?

Since it is Sunday I was wondering how everyone else out there is worshiping today. We all have different beliefs, it helps to understand the person if you can understand their beliefs. Hopefully this can be friendly and the debate can be saved for another thread.

I am a member of the LDS church.

www.mormon.org
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

Can I quibble? what you list as 'Agnostic' is in fact 'Deist' which is how I would describe myself. An Agnostic does literally not know whether there is a god or not (from the greek 'Gnosis' - knowledge).:)

Thanks for listening!!B|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Sorry about the improper wording. I always screw up the details. Here is an excerpt from http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=agnostic

ag·nosti·cal·ly adv.
Word History: An agnostic does not deny the existence of God and heaven but holds that one cannot know for certain whether or not they exist. The term agnostic was fittingly coined by the 19th-century British scientist Thomas H. Huxley, who believed that only material phenomena were objects of exact knowledge. He made up the word from the prefix a-, meaning “without, not,” as in amoral, and the noun Gnostic. Gnostic is related to the Greek word gnsis, “knowledge,” which was used by early Christian writers to mean “higher, esoteric knowledge of spiritual things” hence, Gnostic referred to those with such knowledge. In coining the term agnostic, Huxley was considering as “Gnostics” a group of his fellow intellectuals“ists,” as he called themwho had eagerly embraced various doctrines or theories that explained the world to their satisfaction. Because he was a “man without a rag of a label to cover himself with,” Huxley coined the term agnostic for himself, its first published use being in 1870.

That should give a better definition.
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

I'm an Orthodox Infidel. I have precisely the same level of respect for gods ranging from Allah to Zeus, which is to say that it's hogwash coming and going.

I consider religion to be a socially acceptable form of psychosis. If someone is walking up the street talking to invisible people he's a candidate for a padded room - unless the name of his invisible friend is a recognized deity, in which case he's just very religious. Same difference.

I find it dismaying that people find these fantasies necessary. It's also somewhat frightening living amongst so many people who are certifiable by any objective standard.

Blue skies,

Winsor

How do you know that one or more of these Gods doesn't exist? Can you conclusively prove so? I can't. I also can't conclusively prove that there is a God. I believe I'll find out when I die, unless some solid proof turns up either way beforehand. So I guess Im Agnostic. If there is a God, I hope he doesn't hate Agnostics...B|

My Honey and his family have coined me a "blind faither" for my beliefs. I was raised in a Baptist church. I have found that religion is not high on many skydiver's lists. I voice my opinion when religious discussions surface and will gladly debate the existence of God and Christ as more than historical figures but I don't find it necessary to be over bearing or preach to anyone. I can say that I don't appreciate "God bashing" jokes and even though my Honey is not religious he's quick to let anyone that may start such a conversation know that they're barking up the wrong tree with me.

In evangelical circles "religion" refers to ritualized behavior.

I like to use the word "faith" instead. I used to be a religious alcoholic and drug user. Now I am a Christian, delivered from the desire to use mood altering drugs. My "faith" grew into a relationship with Jesus Christ after I surrendered to Him and asked Him into my life, to take control and to guide me. My faith and my relationship to Christ continues to grow as I study The Bible and seek God's will for my life.

Can I quibble? what you list as 'Agnostic' is in fact 'Deist' which is how I would describe myself. An Agnostic does literally not know whether there is a god or not (from the greek 'Gnosis' - knowledge).:)

Thanks for listening!!B|

:)......but, but......but isn't there two types of knowledge - Gnosis (intellectual knowledge) and Epinosis (experiencial, living, heart knowledge)? :)

You left out Atheist, and you have the wrong definition for agnostic.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

If memebers of the LDS church always swear that they're "Christian" then why is it a seperate option? I thought that was one of their major recruiting points, atleast it has been everytime they've knocked on my door and I've had a very long theological debate with them.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If memebers of the LDS church always swear that they're "Christian" then why is it a seperate option? I thought that was one of their major recruiting points, atleast it has been everytime they've knocked on my door and I've had a very long theological debate with them.

I'm kinda wondering the same thing............. Mormons are Christian. I guess he just separated it to see who was specifically LDS since he is.
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

Dave,
I assure you that the LDS religion is very much a Christian faith. I singled it out because I follow that particular one, and wondered how many other skydivers did as well. As far as theological debate, start a thread, and i will keep up as best I can. I am not as versed as some, but I know a thing or two;).

Josh

I was raised in the Baptist faith, so I guess that is what I am. I think faith, religion is a personal thing to a large extent. I have my feelings and beliefs and I am comfortable with them. I know, to myself that my beliefs are right. I don't go preaching my views to anyone, if I'm ask, I'll gladly share them. Ask me for help, I will try to help you, often that help is a prayer for you. i've seen the power of prayer and believe it, because it is the power of God. I personally believe that a religous zellot does more to harm the cause of religion that help it, because this person with his "preaching" and overly agressive pushing of religion tends to scare people away more that attract them to the faith. I'm confident that my faith in God, my religion, my belief is right. It is a very personal thing.
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule