captain1976

Flat Packing Tandems

<-- No experience.

I was learning to pack tandems this weekend (read, I don't have a flipping clue what I'm talking about).

Half of the instructors I spoke to liked their rigs to be flat packed, the other half preferred them to be pro-packed.

Those who preferred pro-packing tended to be of the opinion that "Flat packing tandems is for fools". Those who preferred them to be flat-packed didn't seem to have a strong opinion the other way.

If you flat-pack, remember to alternate left and right. That way the end cells will wear out at the same rate.

One of the problems with (flat-packed) Strong 520 canopies is that one end cell would always open first and absorb the bulk of opening shock. It did not always survive opening shock!

If you flat-pack, remember to alternate left and right. That way the end cells will wear out at the same rate.

Good point, but do you think it makes a difference on the canopies of today in which many are designed with built-in snivel?

You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Since I'm not from a facility that uses Strongs, I am not positive here but weren't those roll packed? I can see packing it on opposite sides making a difference on a roll pack but not a traditional flat pack.

(not directed at Rob)
A traditional flat pack is just stacking the lines on each other.

With the old 421s and 500s, the diagram attached is how I stacked them for bulk distribution and keeping lines closer to the middle. Clear the stabilizers.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Anyone still doing that? I was just curious after reading some older threads. Seems that there were less malfunctions with the flat vs the pro.

(~5 year old info)
The Strong Set 400 seemed to be OK eitherway (FLOP pack / PRO). However, while most folks that PRO packed them liked the D-bag sides sewn up, I liked the velcro option when I Flop packed... seemed easier that way.

Just Me...
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Since I'm not from a facility that uses Strongs, I am not positive here but weren't those roll packed?

They could have been, but think I recall seeing a manual showing a stack pack. But I don't have a manual.

With the old 421s and 500s, the diagram attached is how I stacked them for bulk distribution and keeping lines closer to the middle. Clear the stabilizers.

Thanks for the drawing. That also helps people understand that a stack pack is actually rather symmetrical.

Remember when it used to called "factory pack"? That distinguished it from what I would call "roll pack".
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

At my DZ (in Ontario Canada) the DZO has all the Sigma tandems flat packed.

But he's a flat packing fan (eg, all student canopies must be flat packed). He believes flat packing tandems will reduce the malfunction rate, and cites a couple US DZ's who apparently found that to be true. But that may be from 2002 or so when the DZ first went to Sigmas.

Most at the DZ are not convinced. Maybe it reduces line overs from poor pro packing, but that can be a training and supervision issue. I don't know if we've had any line over mals over the years with flat packing, but it certainly hasn't come up as an issue among the tandem instructors. Most tandem mals over the years have been tension knots, I think especially as the Dacron Sigma lines get closer to replacement time. I don't see that pro packing would have much advantage in that regard.

From what I have read and seen, I think think the best way to reduce the overall malfunction rate would be to flat pack all tandems.

I doubt anyone will actually make the change since not only is there an issue with some packers who don't know how to flat pack, the other problem is that it can take 3 times the space.

Additionally, to make any transition from a DZ's typical method of packing would likely cause staff problems and a slow-down of operations and $$$$.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

We use NeXt rigs with EZ or Twin canopies, all items manufactured by Paratec. (NeXt rigs are Vector type.)
The preferred method here is flat packing, encouraged by the DZ operator. You're much in control of the lines and can prevent lineovers fairly well.
I usually jump an EZ 384 that opens fairly well, almost snivelish. :)I tried pro packing as well. The openings were OK, too but I mistrusted myself - did I really get them lines in line (SCNR:)) and am now pretty comfortable with flat packing.

Paratec now produces the Twin Century (hybrid ZP and F111, sized 365 AFAIK) and recommends pro packing for it. I jumped it once and was delighted. Resembles the Icarus canopies - snivels, toggle pressure fairly light, tremendous flare. If I had this one, I'd change to pro.
I also noticed that pro pack advocates are hmm... sort of stubborn; pro or nothing... ;) whilst flat packers don't seem to be that strongly biased. :)

My 2 €-cents...

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I also noticed that pro pack advocates are hmm... sort of stubborn; pro or nothing... ;) whilst flat packers don't seem to be that strongly biased. :)

My 2 €-cents...

Bias is perpetuated by conformity or ignorance, meaning that the stubbornness you refer to is simply that most pro packers probably don't know how to flat pack.

In all fairness, I understand that flat packing the canopies without packing tabs is a real bitch. I'm not sure who includes them or who offers them as an option, maybe someone here can enlighten me.

In all fairness, I understand that flat packing the canopies without packing tabs is a real bitch.

Not really. I usually don't bother with packing tabs when flat packing. It's just as quick and easy to grab the seam.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Hi Captain,

as I wrote before, I usually jump the EZ (Elliptical ZeroP) which comes with packing tabs. I was quite surprised to find out the (old) Twin canopies come without them. Once you got used to packing tabs, you miss 'em :-)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Hi captain,

not sure who includes them or who offers them as an option,

Just about any rigger could sew them on; it ain't rocket science. :P

JerryBaumchen

Oh god, making an alteration to a main canopy by a senior rigger?? Everyone is going to die! :S

:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message