sunman

Thinking of becoming a full time skydiver? Don't.

The wind blew and blew and blew for days and days and days. Then a faint glimmer of hope when the winds died down for a day, now it's huffing and puffing again and blowing our business away. Son of a bitch. I'm fucking hungry. I think I'm going to go pawn something so I can buy food.

When there's steady business and the weather is good, being a full-time skydiver is the coolest thing in the world. When the wind blows, it sucks balls. Oh well. Got to take the good with the bad I guess. Better than being in an office working for a bunch of assholes.

I'm not a fulltime skydiver, but I'd guess it's cuz of two huge reasons.

1. It's a pain in the ass to move.
2. It's even more of a pain in the ass to go to some other dropzone and try to get a fulltime job.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I feel your pain Sunman.....
I lived in a trailer at my home dropzone.......learning how to pack before I got into jumping.......I loved waking up to the airplane for the first load of the morning.......and beer-o-clock at the end of the day.......but I got sick of being broke...so I got a waitressing job off the dropzone part time..........then the cold wisconsin nights blew in......freezing my ass off at night.....so, moved to florida for the season......did not work out.....thank god BF is a corporate airline mechanic......so now we are going back to wisconsin for the season to live in our trailer and be broke.......pouring sweat in the hot sun..........but still love waking up to the first load in the morningB|

skygirl1
" Mean people SUCK!"

This is supposed to be the good season in Florida... least that's what they told me

This is the most windy winter that I can remember. I've been sitting it out more than I've been jumping so far this year. No wonder I've gained weight...it's all the beer I've been drinking on the weather days! :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I had to sit out this weekend because of wind too. :( Well, wind and no money. ( I COULD have jumped and just written a bad check to cover it. Bad in the sense that my overdraft loan would kick in but that is almost maxed out and I should probably save it for something I really need - like food. :)

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Why not expand the business and have an antipodean DZ at your disposal ? That way if your DZ isn't generating income during the winter months because of weather systems at least the other one on the other side of the world is. ;)

You may need to find a financial partner to expand though. :D
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

Did you try flying a kite? Seriously... whenever the wind starts blowing, try to fly a kite. Then just as you're getting frustrated 'cause there's barely enough air to keep the fucking thing flying, quickly go and shoot video/skydive/whatever. But remember, you'll have to come back to the kite when you're back on the ground 'cause the effect only lasts for a little while.

Best way to kill the wind: try flying a kite or go sailing.

Best way to have kite-flying or sailing winds: break out the R/C blimp.

Good luck

Gardner

Just got back from the pawn shop. Got a $50 loan for my guitar. Just have to go back within 30 days and give the man $62.50 and I get my guitar back. Not too bad. Best part is that I turned some of that money into something I really needed, FOOD (and beer of course).

Chuck - thanks for the advice. It's only a matter of time.

Take up riigging to keep yourself amused on windy days.
Just when you get elbow-deep in a complex repack or repair, the winds will die and you will have to drop everything to jump. And the sooner your customer wants his rig repaired/repacked, the more tandem students will demand your attention.
Hee! Hee!
No rest for the wicked!

Oooh, Antipode, cool word. Haven't seen that one in a while.;)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

This is supposed to be the good season in Florida... least that's what they told me

Well the weather better be nice by the time I get there next month>:(. If it's crappy, I guess we just spend more time in the tunnel.:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

My work drops off this time of year so I feel your pain;).....there's a running joke at work to eat a little cat food every week during the busier fall season...that way its not too big a shock when its all you can afford to eat.

Those tender vitels are not that bad;)....but soon its gona be the no name brand cat food:|;)

If it's crappy, I guess we just spend more time in the tunnel.

I've heard it's LOADS of fun to be in the tunnel when it's raining ;) That rain gets sucked right through the tunnel. Maybe you should wear a wetsuit in there.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Here's my advice boys, go down to your local sub shop at the end of the day and ask for their leftover buns to feed to your dog (wink wink). They will probably let you have them, works for us poor students from time to time.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

Yeah...you recommend it if you've got a second income to support it. Army retirement pension now making it possible for you to drink, party, jump, drink some more, and drive duelly pickup trucks up and down the runway at ridiculous speeds. It should be against the law to make a living having that much fun! Hooty! :P

Well, somebody I know once said: "I dont believe in the "skydiving bums" anymore either. You know the type,, hang around a drop zone, packing, JM'ing, teams looking for a free jump, All to earn a pack of smoke and drinking free beer out of my cooler. Mostly starving, with no health insurance. They need to GET A JOB . skydiving is supposed to be a hobby, not a living."

There is a lot of truth to that...
/Matthias

The wind blew and blew and blew for days and days and days. Then a faint glimmer of hope when the winds died down for a day, now it's huffing and puffing again and blowing our business away. Son of a bitch. I'm fucking hungry. I think I'm going to go pawn something so I can buy food.

When there's steady business and the weather is good, being a full-time skydiver is the coolest thing in the world. When the wind blows, it sucks balls. Oh well. Got to take the good with the bad I guess. Better than being in an office working for a bunch of assholes.

This is the most windy winter that I can remember. I've been sitting it out more than I've been jumping so far this year. No wonder I've gained weight...it's all the beer I've been drinking on the weather days! :ph34r:

Oh God! Please tell em the weather will be good for Sebastian!B|