peacefuljeffrey

Democrats bite their own noses to spite their faces

Criminals.... breaking the law? No.......

Exactly....you think the assault weapons ban is adhered to by criminals, or law abiding citizens? Who does it effect?

My main purpose for joining in on this thread was to find out peoples reasons for owning guns, and why they feel they need them. It turned into many know-it-all responses and cliche'd banter. I never said I supported the ban, yet it's been brought up quite a few times... talk about talking to a wall. Then I get people who don't even know what a computer virus is questioning my intelligence. Funny.

This whole thread has been like masturbating with a cheesegrater... slightly amusing, but mostly painful!

"I may be bleeding heart... but at least I have one!"

Later....

Blog Clicky

Then I get people who don't even know what a computer virus is questioning my intelligence. Funny.

Knowing what a computer virus is doesn't make you intelligent, it makes you informed about modern technology and one of the problems with it.

It turned into many know-it-all responses and cliche'd banter. I never said I supported the ban, yet it's been brought up quite a few times... talk about talking to a wall.

The "know-it-all" responses I've seen in this thread have come mostly (if not entirely), from the anti-gun crowd. They're the ones who seem to know what's best for me.

This whole thread has been like masturbating with a cheesegrater... slightly amusing, but mostly painful!

Try it with a good quality lubricant! :o

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Ooh ooh, I want that toy too, hey this right to bear arms things is turning out to be a lot more fun than I thought. I saw the Orange County Choppers guys get to drive tank the other day, I'm like a tank too! And can you say bazooka. Oh man do those things look fun!

You better get a job, these things cost money. :D

never pull low......unless you are

Great...he's humor impaired *and* loves guns.

So, making jokes about killing schoolchildren is perfectly acceptable. But someone who doesn't see any humor in jokes about killing schoolchildren, is dangerous?

Gosh, what a screwed-up sense of judgement your statements display.

You just had to go and remove any doubt about the lack of sense of humor, didn't you?
-Josh

You just can't admit that killing kids isn't funny, can you?

never pull low......unless you are

But their guns worked JUST FINE to kill how many high school kids? Where did they get their guns? They might have focused on pipe bombs? Prove it!

Dillon and Klebold (the Columbine kids) made some pipebombs and carried them them into the school intending to kill a LOT more kids than they did. Fortunately, the bombs didn't detonate as planned due to faulty design. Feel free to "prove" this for yourself if you want to actually know what you are talking about.

The fact that they used lethal weapons other than guns just bolsters the very tired but entirely true point that it isn't GUNS killing people, it is whacked out people killing people.

. . =(_8^(1)

>No, Conservatives want to preserve the rights granted by the Bill of
> Rights. Liberals want to bend and change the Constitution to suit
>their own agenda.

It was a joke, but if you insist:

If you consider this administration as "conservatives," conservatives are doing their level best to destroy the protections of the first, fourth, fifth and sixth amendments. In the name of "fighting terror" of course. Sorry, but those protections, to me, are a lot more important than the protections of the second amendment (although in my ideal world you don't mess with the constitution at all.)

False premise. I have said as recently as today I don't consider the Bush Administration to be Conservatives. It appears you assume all Republicans are Conservatives. Does this also mean you consider all Democrats to be Liberals? With this startling new information now in mind, go back and re-read what I said.

posted article

Sen. John Warner, R-Va., who opposed the assault weapons ban when Congress approved it 10 years ago but supported the amendment Tuesday

The entire article, rather than a few quotes. A slightly liberal slant, but it shows some politicians can come to see reason. as seen HERE

WASHINGTON: Feingold Votes Against Assault Weapons Ban
BY FREDERIC J. FROMMER
Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Wisconsin Sen. Russ Feingold was one of only six Democrats to vote against extending the ban on military-style assault weapons Tuesday, reversing a position he took on the original ban a decade ago.

The ban passed the Senate, 52-47, but was killed hours later when the Senate defeated the bill to which it was attached. That measure would have immunized the gun industry from lawsuits.

Feingold, who is up for re-election this year, also voted against that larger bill.

"Although I voted for the ban on certain kinds of semiautomatic weapons in 1994, I have come to believe that it is a largely arbitrary and symbolic measure," Feingold said in a Senate speech. "Citizens see it as a first step towards confiscating their firearms."

The other Democrats to vote against the assault weapons ban were Max Baucus of Montana, Ben Nelson of Nebraska, Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, Zell Miller of Georgia and Harry Reid of Nevada. Ten Republicans crossed party lines to vote for the ban.

Feingold did vote with his party on another amendment, to require background checks on all buyers at private gun shows. That, too, went down with the overall immunity bill.

Feingold may be trying to counter Republican attacks that he is a liberal out of the mainstream on many issues, University of Wisconsin-Madison political science professor Ken Mayer said.

"If I'm an incumbent senator and I can find some ways to take some of those issues off the table, that's a perfectly rational strategy," Mayer said. The vote "could easily be reflective of awareness of the fact that he's got an election coming up."

Mayer noted, however, that Feingold has throughout his career made strong statements in favor of gun rights. Feingold reiterated those sentiments in his Senate speech, saying the Second Amendment "was not an afterthought, that it has meaning today and must be respected."

But Feingold said say no reason to provide immunity protection to the gun industry.

"There is no evidence that liability lawsuits threaten the very existence of the gun industry in America," he said.

Brian Siebel, a senior attorney with the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence in Washington, challenged Feingold's reading of the assault weapons ban.

He said the group's own study found that the law contributed to a substantial reduction of assault weapons in crime.

Wisconsin's other senator, Democrat Herb Kohl, voted to renew the assault weapons ban.

"This ban has taken weapons off the street that endanger everyone, from our friends and family members to the law enforcement officers responsible for protecting us," Kohl said in statement.

edit to add link
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Brian Siebel, a senior attorney with the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence in Washington, challenged Feingold's reading of the assault weapons ban.

He said the group's own study found that the law contributed to a substantial reduction of assault weapons in crime.

And my own studies have shown that if you base 100% of your diet intake on bananas, monkeys will fly out of your ass.

Seriously tho, I am glad to see that Sen. Feingold had the nuts to present the truth in this matter. I am sure he just ensured his reelection bid among gun owners.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

So if the NRA pulls together a collection of independent studies and lists them on their site, we can't possibly believe that, but if the Brady Bunch runs their own study, that ranks with the Gospel. Yep. Uh huh.

They just keep making more and more sense. :S
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Well, that's because they are the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence! Silly boy! They're no longer Handgun Control! They don't want to ban all guns any more! They just want "common sense legislation" to eliminate the proliferation of guns by targeting and removing classes of firearms from society, one at a time, untill all the dangerous firearms are off the street and out of homes where children could possibly be.:P

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

an AR 15 or similar weapon isn't ideal for most civilians because it's too big. Kind of awkward to conceal, put in your night stand and what not.

A lot of people say a shotgun is best for home defense, and it has all the same problems which you list above.

How long a gun happens to be, is not necessarily a factor making it unsuitable for home defense.

Context John, context.

The discussion wasn't limited to home defense exclusively. If you factor in concealed carry, or something that can easily and safely be stored near you bed without sacrificing quick access, handguns become the clear winner.

FWIW, I don't have a particularly strong opinion on gun laws. I'm probably one of the few that could possibly be swayed one way or the other by reasoned arguments.
Near as I can tell, most people already have their minds made up.

-Josh

If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

>So if the NRA pulls together a collection of independent studies and
> lists them on their site, we can't possibly believe that, but if the
> Brady Bunch runs their own study, that ranks with the Gospel. Yep. Uh huh.

I'd say both groups have their own agendas, and select the studies they promote accordingly. They'd be fools to do otherwise.

Knowing what a computer virus is doesn't make you intelligent, it makes you informed about modern technology and one of the problems with it.

OK, that might be true, but conversely, *not* knowing what a computer virus is, is a highly reliable indicator of stupidity.
One would have to have there head pretty far up their bum to miss all of the computer virus related posts, newspaper, television, magazine and radio stories.

-Josh

*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

I'd say both groups have their own agendas, and select the studies they promote accordingly. They'd be fools to do otherwise.

Bill, when I link to any study or statistic listed on the NRA site, even if it DOJ or California AG, you blow it off and act like it doesn't exist. Read the words below again. These people couldn't buy a reasonable study, they actually have to do their own.

witty subliminal message
1*

You just can't admit that killing kids isn't funny, can you?

You betcha:
Killing kids isn't funny.
However, joking about it can be!

Historically, jokes have been intimately tied to unsavory and awkward things.
Nothing new here.
-Josh