peacefuljeffrey

Democrats bite their own noses to spite their faces

Actually, why don't I? I am innocent until proven guilty. Prove to me why I don't need one. I already told you one reason, which you again gaffed off because it was too legitimate for you to handle rationally.

Do me a big favor and try to explain to me what makes each of these prohibited characteristics on a firearm more dangerous than a firearm without.

Rifles
Folding/Telescoping Stock:
Protruding Pistol Grip:
Bayonet Mount:
Threaded Muzzle or Flash Suppressor:
Grenade Launcher:

Pistols
Magazine Outside Grip:
Threaded Muzzle:
Barrel Shroud:
Unloaded Weight of 50 ounces or more :
Semi-Automatic Version of a Fully Automatic Weapon:

Shotguns
Folding/Telescoping Stock:
Protruding Pistol Grip:
Detachable Magazine Capacity:
Fixed Magazine Capacity Greater than 5 Rounds:

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Need and want are two different things. People want guns, they don't need them.

[/early morning rant]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People want parachutes, they don't need them.

you crack me up. How is that in any way relevant or close to comparing apples to apples?

And why the hell not, ICBMs are arms aren't they?

Generally accepted is arms equivalent to those issued to average infantymen serving in the US armed forces.

so tell me really, other than because Charlton says it is so, why the hell do you need a 30 round mag on anything?

You do know Charlton Heston is no longer leader of the NRA, right?

Why do I need a thirty round magazine?
They have been deemed most practical by the US Aremd Forces. I don't think I know better than them. They do have almost 200 years more experience with firearms than I do.

Why do I need 17 in my glock [if I had one]?
The gun holds a magazine designed to hold 17 rounds without protrusion. Why should I carry less than it can?

If you're going to give me issues about accuracy, let's use your example of cops being better than civilians with firearms. IIRC in the Diallo case correctly, the officers fired 41 rounds, and only hit him 19 times. That was four officers firing at one man. Do you think having extra rounds on hand might be a good thing for the rest of us now [assuming we are more sure of our targets than they were]?
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

[/early morning rant]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you crack me up. How is that in any way relevant or close to comparing apples to apples?

It's apples to apples to me. Just because someone doesn't see the value in owning guns they want to take them away. I know lots of people that would deprive us of skydiving for the same reason. The second ammendment doesn't differenciate between want and need as far as I can tell.

never pull low......unless you are

[/early morning rant]

It's apples to apples to me. Just because someone doesn't see the value in owning guns they want to take them away. I know lots of people that would deprive us of skydiving for the same reason. The second ammendment doesn't differenciate between want and need as far as I can tell.

That whole necessary for the upkeep of a well-regulated militia thing, yeah I'd say that's more need than want.

Never go to a DZ strip show.

The criminals in the bank shootout were using FULL-AUTOMATIC firearms. AK-47 knock offs. The firearms covered under the AWB are SEMI-automatic AK look-alikes.

Interesting side note to this shootout.

I wasn't very far away - maybe about 1/4 of a mile, certainly not more than 1/3 of one. Scary as all hell, especially once the bad guy left and started walking around the neighborhood (the one I was in.). I was in a situation wherein I did not have a weapon. I was surrounded by mentally disabled adults in an adult day care center. All that's superfluous, though.

What's interesting is that the local LAPD guys were outgunned. Badly. Serious situation, they didn't have the firepower to take these guys down. So a few squad cars showed up at a local gunstore, and took what they needed...including shotguns, bullets, and various guns.

The bad guys had the weaponry. The local cops didn't.

That's a sad state of affairs, don't you think? The bad guys had the illegal weapons...I wonder where they got them??? The ban already in place didn't do squat. Just didn't do squat.

I remember wishing I had my weapon. I could at least try to protect the 30 childlike adults if the bad guy came down the block and into our facility...but no, I can't carry concealed. I'm a law abiding citizen, and so didn't have a gun. Yes, we were right in the middle of the perimeter. Yes, it was significantly dangerous. And I didn't have any way to protect my group. At all. Because I abide by the laws.

Bad bad day. Very bad day.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Ok ok, I give up on the magazine argument, but, as far as the citizen weaponry of the soldier thing... so we should be able to have m-16s?

I wouldn't mind. It works for Switzerland. Of course, I also wouldn't mind gun safety courses in public schools, or bringing back rifle teams.

The M-16 fires a fairly small bullet, as rifle rounds go. It is light but durable, reliable, etc. Overall I give it pretty good marks. And FYI - the M-16 is not full-automatic. The one I was issued at Quantico, and the one still being issued by the thousands, is select fire. It has three settings. Safe (will not fire), Semi (fires one round per squeeze of the trigger). and Burst (fires three rounds per squeeze).
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

What's interesting is that the local LAPD guys were outgunned. Badly. Serious situation, they didn't have the firepower to take these guys down. So a few squad cars showed up at a local gunstore, and took what they needed...including shotguns, bullets, and various guns.

The bad guys had the weaponry. The local cops didn't.

That's a sad state of affairs, don't you think? The bad guys had the illegal weapons...I wonder where they got them??? The ban already in place didn't do squat. Just didn't do squat.

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say. Didn't the cops go to the local gun store to get better weapons. So those would be legal weapons available to the public through legal means which are better than the cops' guns?

If I am seeing that part right than the problem is with the decisions made in outfitting your police department and has nothing to do with any ban.

That whole necessary for the upkeep of a well-regulated militia thing, yeah I'd say that's more need than want.

I 'd say its more than a want too... thats why its in the Bill of Rights...

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

And note... the "well regulated malita" is not a condition of the "right to keep and bare arms"

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

School shootings, as a recent epidemic, are done by... wait for it.... GUNS!!! We have a new sniper here in NorCal. They are using a GUN!!!

Guns don't hop off of shelves, load themselves, aim themselves, and shoot - all by themselves. They require a human operator to do that. The criminals are the ones to blame for criminal shootings, not the legal inanimate objects they use to commit their crimes.

Using your logic, cars are responsible for drunk driving, and matches are responsible for arson. It's a ludicrous theory, and demonstrates how lacking in logic and merit your position is.

We are no longer the hunter/gatherers that all need weapons.

It's a constitutional right - we don't have to prove a "need" in order to own them.

Would you like to have to prove that you "need" a sport skydiving rig? Or do you think that, just because this is a free society where we are allowed to pursue happiness as long as we don't hurt others, that we should be allowed to determine our own path in life and leisure?

I'd like to see someone actually use the 2nd amendment for what it really is... "the right to bear arms to rise up against corrupt governments"... oh wait, gun ownwers SUPPORT this current governments.

Well, you sort of have that right. But it doesn't mean that just because we own arms, that we have to rise up against every government that comes along. They are there only for when the government turns against us. And just by having them, we help prevent that from happening.
"One of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of the citizens to keep and bear arms - just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safe-guard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proven to be always possible."
- Senator Hubert Humphrey, 1960

I don't think manufacturers are liable for the mis-deeds of owners

Thank you for that reasonable and logical position. See? You *can* see the light!

so we should be able to have m-16s?

The short answer is yes... and you can, if you are willing to put up with the hassle of it...

J

Holy shit, I'm no longer for gun control, I want my f%$#ing m-16! Hell yeah, rock on!

Never go to a DZ strip show.

The short answer is yes... and you can, if you are willing to put up with the hassle of it...

J

Holy shit, I'm no longer for gun control, I want my f%$#ing m-16! Hell yeah, rock on!

Back up a minute. No one said they thought that YOU should have the right to own a gun. :P

And FYI - the M-16 is not full-automatic.

Yes and no. The M16 is a select-fire rifle, but depending upon the variant (and there have been several dozens), the rifle may have safe/full-auto, safe/semi/full, safe/semi/full/burst or safe/semi/burst. That just covers the trigger group, lots of other variations have been used with differences in sights/mounts, stocks, barrel lengths/contours, muzzle breaks, flash reducers and even calibers.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Didn't the cops go to the local gun store to get better weapons. So those would be legal weapons available to the public through legal means which are better than the cops' guns?

If I am seeing that part right than the problem is with the decisions made in outfitting your police department and has nothing to do with any ban.

That's definitely a point. From what I understand, there have been steps taken to outfit that particular department (LAPD). But the issue remains, the bad guys have the weapons.

I would also say that the gunstore did not have fully automatic weapons - they were banned for public sale, which means they couldn't stock them. So even though the cops managed to get some serious firepower, it wasn't matched to the bad guys in the least.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

J

good!

now go do a few years service and learn how to use it properly.

I ask again...what do you think the definition of assault weapon is as it relates to the bill?

IMHO... full auto? large clips? Can shoot through buildings?

As I thought - you are making judgements about so-called "assault weapons" based upon intentionally misleading perceptions put forth by the anti-gun folks, and an ignorant or complicit news media.

The majority of the public has been tricked into believing as you do. You are not alone. However, you and they are all wrong.

The long-standing military definition of an "assault weapon" is indeed one that fires on full auto. However, the anti-gun politicians hijacked this term and now use it to mean something else, entirely. This was intentional to create confusion in the public, to get them to support the anti-gun proposal.

The definition of an "assault weapon" under this new law, is this; a firearm that has two or more of the following features: removable magazines, folding stocks, bayonet lugs and/or a flash suppressor.

Note that none of those things has anything to do with what you thought. They are all just cosmetic features that can make them look like military firearms. In other words, they're banned because they "look" scary to anti-gun people. None of these features has anything to do with rate of fire, power, or anything else related to killing potential. They're just semi-auto firearms which function the same as any others, without those cosmetic features.

You've been bamboozeled by the anti-gun organizations and the major news media, who haven't given you the facts.

Don't take my word for it. Read it here for yourself, what the definition of a "assault weapon" is. Go to definition 30 (B):

Definition of an "Assault Weapon"

Now that you know the truth, are you going to change your opinion about these so-called "assault weapons"?

So what REALLY is the gun show loophole? Besides no background checks....

What it really is, is a "private sale" loophole. They've just put a pretty red ribbon on the name to fool the public into believing that it is really all about something else, so they'll support it.

Gun dealers at gun shows are already required to do background checks, just like they do in their stores.

Only private citizens are exempt from that requirement. But if one of those private citizens is selling firearms repeatedly, then it constitutes a "gun business without the proper license", and he can be prosecuted. So the only people exempt are those selling a few guns, on rare occasions, in order to upgrade collections, trade for something else, and so on.

They just don't want the public to know that, because more people would be against it if it was actually called what it is - a ban on private sales.

If they get this one passed, then the next "loophole" will be private sales away from gun shows. Their ultimate goal is to force every single gun transaction to go through a federal background check, through the police. That would keep hunting buddies from selling guns directly to each other, and prevent dads from directly giving their sons guns for gifts. None of those types of transfers are a crime problem, and they should be left alone.

Furthermore, some of these gun show proposals want a three-day wait for purchase of a gun. And applying a three-day wait to a two-day weekend gun show, will (do the math) kill gun shows.

This is all lawful commerce, and studies show only a miniscule number of crime guns come from gun shows. They should be left alone!

Please tell us what you think that means? What is the definition of an assault weapon as described in the bill?

Well I would gather from the posts here that the main points have to do with clip size. My personal definition is closer to rifles that are primarily designed for killing people instead of game.

And what is it about a rifle design that makes it more suitable for killing people versus animals?

Military snipers use Remington 700 bolt-action rifles, which are also a very popular hunting rifle.

The rifles don't know what they're "supposed" to be used for.

The AR-15 looks somewhat like a military M-16, so it's been classified as an "assault weapon". That's despite the fact that it is the most popular firearm used in high power rifle competition around the country. Another rifle is called the Mini-14, and it is *not* an assault weapon. Why? Because it doesn't have a little thing on the end of the barrel called a flash suppressor, nor a pistol grip stock. But both the AR-15 and the Mini-14 shoot the same ammo, have the same magazine capacities, the same semi-auto functionality, and so on. The only thing that makes one an "assault weapon" and another not, is a few cosmetic features. This is all BS.

See attached photo for visual comparison.

These weapons weren't choosen to be banned simply because they were "scary looking" as JohnRich keeps regurgitating from the NRA...

I have never quoted the NRA on this.

I provided a reference to the actual text of the law as passed by Congress.

That text proves that the ban is based upon cosmetic features.

Take an AR-15 with a 20-round magazine and a flash suppressor. The manufacturers quit installing the flash suppressor, and presto-chango, like magic, it's no longer an "assault weapon". It's pure cosmetics, based upon what anti-gun folks consider to be "scary". The lack of the suppressor makes it so it doesn't look as much like a military rifle any more. But it still functions identically, with all the same capacities and rate of fire.

The gangs on the streets were litterally mowing down people (police in particular) with these devices... Now, all law enforcement has to do is find them with the banned devices and they go to jail with yet another charge against them.

Let's see, the gangs weren't afraid of violating the law against mass murder, yet you think they're going to be intimidated by a little ol' law about having a bayonet lug?

You think that there is something to be gained by charging someone with a minor technical gun crime, when they are already charged with murder?

What a fanciful view of gangs.

Besides, all firearms that possessed those features prior to the passage of the ban, were grandfathered as legal. We can still own them and sell them. So the simple possession of a pre-ban firearm with those features isn't even a crime.

These weapons weren't choosen to be banned simply because they were "scary looking" as JohnRich keeps regurgitating from the NRA...

For people with an open mind, more information HERE.

Oh look! How quaint! You are derisive toward the NRA as a source of valid information, yet here you are citing the Brady Campaign.

Don't look now, but your double standard and hypocrisy are showing again.