ryan_d_sucks

Overstuffing a G4?

Hey, I'm about to order a new Mirage G4, and I'm trying to figure out which size to get, either M4 or M3. Currently I'm jumping a 9cell 170, but I would like to eventually downsize to a 150 after about 100 more jumps or so. I would like to keep this container for a long time once I've bought it.. I'm talking next 1000 jumps or so. And since I'm pouring so much money into it, I would really like for it to look nice too.

So both the M3 and M4 will take the 160 reserve that I have. So no problems there. The M4 holds a 170 main, and the M3 a 150 main. I like the looks of the M3 better than the M4. I spoke with someone at the DZ who stuffed a 170 into his M3 for a while before downsizing to a 150. Said it was a bitch to close, but certainly doable. I didn't see his M3 container while it had a 170 in it.. So I'm wondering if it looked overstuffed and shitty. I'm also wondering if it damaged and stretched the container.

Anyone have experience doing this? My gut tells me I should get the M4, but it just seems like I won't need such a large container a year or so down the road, and I want to keep this new container that I'm buying for a LONG time.

Hey, I'm about to order a new Mirage G4, and I'm trying to figure out which size to get, either M4 or M3. Currently I'm jumping a 9cell 170, but I would like to eventually downsize to a 150 after about 100 more jumps or so. I would like to keep this container for a long time once I've bought it.. I'm talking next 1000 jumps or so. And since I'm pouring so much money into it, I would really like for it to look nice too.

So both the M3 and M4 will take the 160 reserve that I have. So no problems there. The M4 holds a 170 main, and the M3 a 150 main. I like the looks of the M3 better than the M4. I spoke with someone at the DZ who stuffed a 170 into his M3 for a while before downsizing to a 150. Said it was a bitch to close, but certainly doable. I didn't see his M3 container while it had a 170 in it.. So I'm wondering if it looked overstuffed and shitty. I'm also wondering if it damaged and stretched the container.

Anyone have experience doing this? My gut tells me I should get the M4, but it just seems like I won't need such a large container a year or so down the road, and I want to keep this new container that I'm buying for a LONG time.

Many people will tell you that you can stuff a 170 in a container made for a 150, and you probably can. It might look stuffed, but it could fit.

What you should look at, is how would the reserve work with the main still in the container (total or PCIT) There has been talk that the reserve could get locked in the container (especially if it was tight to start with) with an oversized main stuffed in there.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

That's an excellent point. Anyone with rigging experience care to expand on that subject? When I have a nice total mal on my overstuffed G3, will my reserve extraction be impeded?

It very well could be. This specific matter is being discussed here - and not for the first time.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

It's easier to pack a 150 into a space designed to hold a 170 than it is to pack a 170 into a space designed to hold a 150. You intend to put more jumps on a 150 in this container than you put on a 170.

Softer pack jobs (ie one size smaller than what it was built for) are more comfortable to wear. Harder pack jobs (ie one size bigger than what it was built for) are very uncomfortable to wear.

Seems to me the smart thing to do would be to get the one sized for the 170. The 1/2" or so difference in overall container size isn't worth 100+ packs jobs of torture and 100+ jumps of uncomfortable, not to mention 100+ jumps of your rig looking like shit.

But that's just lazy me...

Personally I had squished a 150 into a container that fit a 135 max and 120 standard fitting, but then again I had purchased a PD Pulse which is supposed to pack around 1.5x smaller due to the material.

Perhaps looking into a PD Pulse might help, demo it and see how you might like it.

On the other hand, despite it packing 1.5x smaller it was still a pain in the ass to pack......even packers strayed away from it for the first 30 jumps on it lol
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I'm jumping a 97 in a container "sized" for a 120.

I always tell my customers to get gear with a little extra room. It will be easier to pack. Besides, if you overstuff your container and put too much tension on the closing flaps you will tear out the grommets.

Ask your rigger/instructor what to do.

I had purchased a PD Pulse which is supposed to pack around 1.5x smaller due to the material.

It's 1.5 times smaller after you pack it? I would love to see that trick but if it's 1.5 times smaller in the end I guess you wouldn't see it. :D

Lol a size and a half smaller?
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I'm a relatively new jumper/packer, jumping a Sabre2 210, and I bought the M5 sized container which is ideal for a 190. I also have intentions on being able to downsize twice and keep this container for a long time. The 210 fits just fine, but it definitely takes a little muscle to get the sucker closed. I'm also jumping a relatively new canopy with less than 50 jumps.

I say if you plan on keeping this container for a while with downsizing capabilities, get the smaller one and just suck it up on the tough pack jobs. If nothing else, it will definitely make you a better packer...

Not sure if this is still current or not but I have a G4 M4 and when it was brand spanking new, I had a 170 in it with a 160 main. I now have a 129 main with same reserve. Only getting new rig as I'm sure my next canopy will be way too loose :-)