billvon

Ten things that may keep you alive

Thanks for the bump. I should find the beer buyers and spend time with them.

Sharing the knowledge - Good post and someone mentioned how coaching now means buying a jump for the self proclaimed 'coach'. That does stink.

My 4-way team has a regular thing: I get two of my teammates, we go find a newbie (less than 200 jumps more than 20) and we take them on a 4-way all random jump designed for them.

1 - the newbie gets to make a 10 to 20 point 4-way and be in a fairly smooth but fast moving environment. They learn tons and talk about it for weeks. Last week we took a guy up for 23 points (he had 197 jumps) - the week before, we took up a newbie for a 12 point dive (she had 24 jumps and just graduated).

2 - Me and my guys get to be together and practice with the extra benefit of having a 4th person throwing in unexpected fall rate changes, position shifts, etc.

I think everyone benefits. Do one or two a weekend and you build up new jumpers for the future, make a lot of friends, get a good reputation, have fun, and learn something new.

Ok, a little hokey but I mean every word.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The bump of this thread inspired me to add two of billvon's posts to it. The first is entitled "Surviving the WFFC" and goes a little like this:

Summer is upon us, and soon the hordes will descend upon Rantoul for this year's World Freefall Convention. Lots of people will jump. Unfortunately, some will get hurt, and some may die. How can you make sure it's not you? Presented below are some tips to help keep you alive at the biggest skydiving boogie in the world.

1. Do only one new thing at a time! Many jumpers show up and are awed by the array of canopy demos, big ways, new planes (with new exits) and new styles of flying. Indeed, the WFFC is a great place to try new stuff and jump new planes. But showing up, grabbing a demo rig with a tiny main, getting on a new type of airplane, and trying head down for the first time is not such a good idea. Want to try a new rig? Great! But first make a few jumps with your old rig. See if the canopy traffic near the landing area is OK with you. If it gets a little too intense, you're still in good shape, because you are familiar with your canopy, and are in a better position to handle lots of traffic. After your first few jumps on the new canopy, you can make a better decision whether a smaller canopy is a good idea, or if you want to land that smaller canopy in an alternate (i.e. larger, lower traffic) area.

2. Make small changes. If you do decide to jump that demo rig, talk to the folks at the canopy tent and get a canopy they recommend. I would hesitate to downsize more than one size at a time at the WFFC, no matter how good you think you are.

3. Know who you're jumping with. You're generally not going to know everyone on the dive, but at least make an attempt to not to jump with all unknowns. Skydiving is still small enough so that your friends probably know their friends, so ask around to determine their skill level. Ask them how many jumps they have, but be aware that this isn't always indicative of skills, and people sometimes lie about their number of jumps (which is really stupid.) The WFFC organizers are a good option here, since they have a lot of experience matching people and planning safe dives. Even if you don't want to jump with them, you can ask them for recommendations on other people. Chances are one of the LO's knows them or has jumped with them at some point. Also, avoid jumping with people who seem to have taken an excessive amount of drugs recently. All too often I've noticed drunk or drugged up skydivers do stupid things and get hurt. Which leads to:

4. Jump with a clear head. The WFFC has some excellent parties. But if you were up all night, maybe it would be a good idea to get a little sleep before jumping. Adrenalin can't always make up for a hangover.

5. Plan your outs. The main landing area by manifest is popular, but a lot of people have gotten hurt trying to land there. If dense canopy traffic worries you, land somewhere else. Also, if you open and you're far out, pick your outs at 2000 feet, not at 50 feet. You don't have too many options left at that altitude.

6. Learn to flat turn and flare turn! This is really important. You will be in big crowds of jumpers flying back. At some point, someone will cut you off. If it happens at 50 feet you have three choices: make a hard toggle turn (and plow into the ground) run into them or flat turn away. Two examples: Four years back I watched them life flight someone out after he had turned way too low. The story was the same - he never did hook turns, yet here he was turning hard at 50 feet because someone cut him off. Honestly, i think he would have been better off colliding with the other jumper at 30 feet and falling the rest of the way. At least his canopy would have had a better chance at slowing him down. On the same day, one of the load organizers was landing in a bean field when a pickup truck pulled right in front of her. She flat turned away and flared immediately afterwards. Total damage - muddy knees on her jumpsuit. (The people in the truck laughed and drove away, without even offering her a ride. Ah, Quincy locals.) So be sure you can both flat turn (turn with minimal loss of altitude) and flare turn (turn right and left in the flare) before you get to the WFFC - it can be a lifesaver.

The WFFC can be a dangerous place. But with a little planning and some common sense, you can spend your time at Rantoul jumping and partying rather than taking the "other" helicopter ride.

Brent

Edited to make it clear where the quoted passage began and ended.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

The second is his list of things you should be able to do with your current canopy before you downsize:

If you can:

Flat turn 90 degrees at 50-200 feet (depending on canopy size)
Flare turn 45-90 degrees
Land crosswind
Land uphill and downhill
Turn with rear risers, front risers and your body (depending on canopy size)
Initiate a high performance landing with double fronts/turn to land
Flare with rear risers

You are probably ready to downsize.

This is a good guy to listen to on survival issues.

Just ignore him on political ones.;)

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

What great words. As a new jumper I feel like a sponge - soaking up everything I can find. I will print this and keep it with me always.

Thanks you...and to the community of skydivers who make us newbies feel so welcome.

Wise words. I'll remember them. If there's one thing I could respectfully add it is:

ADMIT YOUR MISTAKES! A lot of people don't like admitting they were wrong. They argue with everyone, no matter how experienced, that someone else, not they, f*cked up. This way noone benefits.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

Great advice!!

Rehmwa - I wish more experienced teams would do this. I can only imagine how much I'd learn on such a dive & certainly it must benefit the experienced divers as well.

Thank you everyone for continually bumping up these posts!!

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Good post and someone mentioned how coaching now means buying a jump for the self proclaimed 'coach'. That does stink.

The "deal" at my old DZ was a slot and pack job for a coaching jump. Generally I would only charge that for someone that needed a complete Brief, jump, debrief, and items signed off on their A card. I have done innumerable "coach" jumps with newbies that just wanted someone to jump with or were trying to learn something new like sit flying for absolutely free. I don't have too many jumps....(Still under 400) but with a video camera on my head I can be very useful to that category of jumper.

Erica - You're not that far away. Come up and we'll take you for one or two or .... I still have to meet more DZ.commers anyway - missed a chance in No Cal two weeks ago. Next trip I won't make that mistake.

Pistol - Good policy. I should clarify, 2-ways where I only lay base, with full pre and post brief I don't argue if they offer to buy my slot. I won't ask for the pack, ever. If I get to play, spin in place, or do monkey see-monkey do dives, I'll do that for the smiles and laugh and mock them if they offer to buy. That goes for both RW or CrW.

We were all there once. In some places I'm still there. Example, there is one friend who is helping me on my freeflying in the same way (I'm only fair at it). It comes around in one way or the other.

Nice thing about not charging - you can be biased with who you play with - for example, pretty girls. Realistically - anyone with a crappy attitude we won't waste time on (e.g., they already know 'everything', or think they are 'entitled' to the experience).

We try not to be biased

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It comes around in one way or the other.

That's one the thing Skymonkeyone taught me from the VERY begining. Always give back! Plus....I so love giving newbies video. I don't think I ever saw myself on video until I had a round 100 jumps. It puts HUGE smiles on newbies faces.

Bill, thanks for the offer, would love to get to MN sometime & now there's a reason. Skydiving is like having family in every state - I LOVE IT. You just may see me up there sometime.

And it's true it does come back around. I don't know if I'm w/ my current s/o because he offered to video & jump w/ me or because he's such a super duper great guy - well, prob option 1 happened because of option 2, so both... but I digress.

As a new skydiver, I would like to thank all you that take time & have honest good fun in the air w/ the newbies. Now that I sit solidly, I love going up w/ a coach helping a new freeflier - it's fun learn to control my own fall rate & try to catch up to them as the backslide. There is an oppertunity to learn everywhere, you just have to be willing to look.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

#5 i did this past weekend. i was coming in on final and i knew i was a little low so i pulled both toggles down about half way and let side up just a little.did a nice slow braked turn and wala i was into the wind and i didnt lose any altitude! i was kinda proud of myself! these are good rules!

Read up on TSO testing of your gear, and learn about the limits it was tested to. If you know that, you can keep your own flying within its operational limits. Learn about what's in a Cypres, and how it judges altitude. Learn the difference between Dacron and Spectra, and how to pack a pullout rig.

Good rules to live by Bill. They can start by reading this attachment.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

- That beer isn't quite free - the price is that you have to pass on the knowledge that _you_ first learned when it seemed like you were buying a case every other weekend.

The philosophy of Open Source applied to skydiving...magnificent...B|:)
mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."