steve1

Anybody know much about boats?

I'm thinking about buying a boat and don't know much about them. I'd rather spend the money on skydiving, but I'm unable to jump during most of the year and need something else to do during some of those months. I'm looking at a 16 1/2 foot Jon boat with a 40 horse jet conversion on it. It has high side walls and a pointed front, so it should work okay on a lot of lakes. I'll be using it about half the time on a fairly shallow river. I'm tired of paddling a canoe. I plan on fishing and hunting with it. Anyhow I can get this new for around $9,500. What do you think?.....Steve1

When I was a kid going through high-school, I worked on a dive boat that went from Long Beach, California to Catalina. I did this for a few summers and learned quite a bit.

Here is the most important thing I learned.

A boat is a big hole in the water you constantly throw money into.

Not like skydiving is any better.

Just be aware that $9,500 is only the start of it.

The best boat in the world, is your friend's boat -- no payments.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The best boat in the world, is your friend's boat -- no payments.

This would explain why my brother keeps trying to convince me to buy one. So he can sell his...His evil plot has been uncovered. :D
-----
~~~Michael

hmmm I have heard shallow water and jetdrives don't mix. I fish shallow water here in florida. No one I know has a jet drive. I'll do some checking

Uh please do not bother... Jetboats are IDEAL for western rivers.. BIG ROCKS and LOGS do VERY nasty things to spinning props.

Steve.. the higher the sides.. like an Alaskan... plenty of guys have them even down in the BIG Water at the mouth of the Columbia.

http://www.hewescraft.com/

Or GO big

http://www.motionmarine.com

Uh please do not bother... Jetboats are IDEAL for rivers.. BIG ROCKS and LOGS do VERY nasty things to spinning props.

You got that right, Here in Pennsylvania we enjoy 100's (if not 1,000's) more miles of rivers/streams because of jet drive then do prop drive boats do.

Only problem is that a jet uses more fuel to produce less thrust. I'll buy more gas then props and outdrive's any day. The very reason I own a 17 foot Baja jet boat with a built 454 Chevy big block. I like to squirt it hard and fast. :D:D;)

------Have a good one!--------

$9500 seems like alot to me for a used jon boat - no matter what kind of drive it has on it. Maybe I don't know what I am talking about, plus I do live in Alabama so maybe things are cheaper here.

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Quote;
"Uh please do not bother... Jetboats are IDEAL for western rivers.. BIG ROCKS and LOGS do VERY nasty things to spinning props."
------------------------------------------------------
I concur 100%
---------------------------------
Would advise 100% welded, modified V hull
(at least),.. full V would be better.
The flat (Jon boat) hull will beat you to death in a chop. (If you should venture onto big water)
I have used a Lowe, 16.5', mod/V for 8 yrs. & with this exception...would recommend 110%
-------------------------------------------------------
You will loose some horse power (15-25% From memory) with a jet drive, so a 40/JD is minimum I would recommend. It should push a basically empty hull with one person up to 35mph+ max, but once you put weight in it, (ie; another person (or two)& or gear) your cruise speed will drop to; 20 - 25mph+, on flat water. Depending on your 'need for speed', you may want to go bigger.

I believe in buying 'Made in USA' when possible...
(Yes, I jump a canopy made in S. Africa - another story) That said;
I would advise buying a Honda/1st, Yamaha/2nd.
I would advise a 4-stroke...(40 will be as big as you can go here because of weight)
You can go bigger with a Yamaha 2 stroke. ( & you can order w/JD from dealer)...a good option.

I wish I had a twenty for every Merc/Evinrude & others I have towed off lakes.

Hope this helps...(ff/to pm)
Lu7k,
D

A little different than what you're looking at but it's still pretty cool video. I'm really good friends with the driver. And it's a little more expensive than what you want to spend.

KiloRun 2

And it's a little impractical to take the family on.

I agree with you. It depends on where you are.

In Florida, there is no point to having a jet boat. I know people who have them, they just seem to burn more gas, but don't have any added advantages.

However, if you are running in an area of clear water, lots of rocks and potentially a lot of shallows - the jet boat is a great option. I was in Oregon and took the "mail boat" ride up the Rogue River. I spent a good amount of time discussing the boat with the driver. It made sense for the above reasons.

A welded aluminum jet boat is excellent for stream/river fishing.

Steave around the northwest sleads are the way to go and considered the 4x4 of the boating seen. The rig you are looking at would be a great river boat and could go in as little as 4-6 inches of water at speed. In most cases prop boats are faster in outboard flavors, a 16 ft boat would be ok for two people. The statement made about chop is pretty much true, 1 ft of chop can equal a rough ride. OTOH a flat bottom boat is more stable when you are standing up and is more comfortable to fish out of.

blue skies

jerry

$9500 seems like alot to me for a used jon boat - no matter what kind of drive it has on it. Maybe I don't know what I am talking about, plus I do live in Alabama so maybe things are cheaper here.

Everything is new. (2004 model) The motor is a Mercury, 4 stroke I believe. Thanks for all the input!

Jeane...I think I'll bring it to Lost Prairie, so when we finish jumping for the day we can race boats.....Steve1

Probably worth it... how much water does she draw fully loaded? Not sure what type of jet conversion you're talking about - you talking about the converted outboard foot? or is it a true jet pump? Check out the jetboat my buddy and I built. Took forever to build, but it's exactly what we wanted.

Gardner

Probably worth it... how much water does she draw fully loaded? Not sure what type of jet conversion you're talking about - you talking about the converted outboard foot? or is it a true jet pump? Check out the jetboat my buddy and I built. Took forever to build, but it's exactly what we wanted.

Gardner

This boat has a converted outboard foot. I imagine that means it will hit bottom first and mean hanging up more often on sand bars etc. I'll ask the guy this weekend how far much water it will draw loaded.

I admire your ingenuity. If I was handier and more knowlegeable, I think I'd try to build one also.

I'm anxious to get a boat. With one I'll be able to access a lot of public land that others can't hunt along the river. I'm not an avid fisherman, but maybe I'll get hooked on that too. I need an outdoor pasttime that I can take the rest of the family along too. They get sick of waiting for me to make some jumps at the airport. I still plan to jump often and boat when I can't jump.....Steve1

Jeane...I think I'll bring it to Lost Prairie, so when we finish jumping for the day we can race boats.....Steve1

Actually I am bringing my 25' Cabin Cruiser up... that lake is just too inviting..also it makes a hell of a camper...since I put a complete camper top on the back..I can even stand up back there anywhere ..BWAHAHAHAHA

I plan on spending a couple nights in the early part of the week out on the lake.. UNDER that BIG SKY full of stars.

I am also trying to set up some waterjumps with Fred.. I have a few old canopies.. and hopefully more before the boogie rolls around. NO WAY I am going to try to land them on Terra WAY TOO Firma... But water landings.. no problemo.. I make a BIG splash:)
I would think the ideal boat that you could get would be welded plate aluminum... JET drive for all the rocks and forest junk...and a tunnel that allows for water to be forced up to the jet drive I saw a guy down at the mouth of the river last year with such a beast.IT was built more for a prop.. but he had a jet foot on it. The gunnels were high and allowed for some fairly good wave action. Rivers can change fairly quickly from docile calm beings to a raging beast... depending what the weather is doing somewhere up in the higher tributaries.... or traveling just short distance to a steeper grade in the rivers bed.... be carefull out there and get some GOOOD flotation devices and wear em.:)

A boats just a hole in the water you keep throwing money into:P

I suppose that could be the case. I had a little 14 foot boat earlier, with a 15 horse outboard. I bow hunted elk with it at ft. Peck Lake, and whitetails on the river bottom, trapped beaver with it, and did some fishing with it. Pulled the kids on their knee board. It didn't cost much to run and I figure it paid for itself over and over again with the fun I had with it. But then again it wasn't worth a whole lot and was easy to fix when something did go wrong. I figure I deserve some knew toys to play with in my old age. So, in other words I'm trying to rationalize spending 10,000 bucks!.....Steve1