garef001

How high for a halo?

Technically, a jump where you exit at 12,500 feet and open at 2500 is a HALO. Taz, a Navy test jumper, used to do what he referred to as HALO jumps out of C-130's at 14,000 feet regularly. Most people consider HALO to be above 25,000 feet or so.

Technically, a jump where you exit at 12,500 feet and open at 2500 is a HALO. Taz, a Navy test jumper, used to do what he referred to as HALO jumps out of C-130's at 14,000 feet regularly. Most people consider HALO to be above 25,000 feet or so.

But Taz is in jail now. I believe a HALO (high altitude, low opening) is considered high enough to require O2 such as the use of bail out bottles. (twin 53's)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>I believe a HALO (high altitude, low opening) is considered high
>enough to require O2 such as the use of bail out bottles. (twin 53's)

I think the term originally came about to distinguish it from the normal sort of jumps the military does, which is static line. Hence a freefall jump where you exit from a higher altitude than you deploy is technically a HALO. They are often done from very high altitudes because very high altitudes are tactically useful, hence the common interpretation of HALOs always being made at 30,000 feet or thereabouts.

Well, if we want to split hairs here,every jump is a HALO. In the military we don't differentiate between "skydives" and HALO, they are simply all called HALO jumps if you exit an A/C and freefall. However, we do have a point where we must use 100% O2 and on flights going to 18k feet MSL or higher all jumpers must prebreath 100% O2 for 30 mins below or at 10,000 feet MSL or 10,000 feet MSL cabin altitude and remain on it for the duration of the flight and subsequent freefall. For jumps where deployment altitude is at or above 30k feet MSL a prebreath of 100% O2 for 60 mins is required and must be maintained until under 10k feet MSL. So if you want to use the point where supplemental O2 needs to be used as a guideline then anything from 18k up is a HALO. You be the one to decide.:)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

>However, we do have a point where we must use 100% O2 and on
> flights going to 18k feet MSL or higher all jumpers must prebreath
> 100% O2 for 30 mins below or at 10,000 feet MSL or 10,000 feet
> MSL cabin altitude and remain on it for the duration of the flight and
> subsequent freefall.

Yeah, the Thai military has the same rules. As a result, the crew would prebreathe 100% O2 from engine start all the way up to altitude (24,000 feet) and would remain on it until cabin altitude was below 12,000 feet on the descent. Whenever we'd abort a jump they'd pressurize as quickly as possible so they could go off O2. It caused us a problem on one jump where they took the cabin very rapidly down to 0 feet; cypreses can't tell the difference between pressurization and rapid descent.

It caused us a problem on one jump where they took the cabin very rapidly down to 0 feet; cypreses can't tell the difference between pressurization and rapid descent.

We can have the same problem in the Military with the FF2s/AR2 if the pilot descends or pressurizes below our Barometrically set hard deck. It is one of the checks the Jumpmaster goes through with the pilots during the pilot brief on the ground so that it can be avoided.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

There are many of us in the Military Free Fall community that have been to 25000 MSL many times over, but there are few that have been higher than that left in the service.

About 12 years ago, the major Air Force command that controls the cargo aircraft we use for the really high ones decided they would not fly over 25000 MSL. I know of them granting a waiver only once since then (though there may be more). Someone in the Air Force hierarchy decided that the benefit of the extra altitude did not justify the increased physiological risk for their crews.

More definitions:

HAHO = exiting and deploying only a few seconds after leaving the aircraft. "Cross-country" in the sport world.

HAMO = exiting at a high altitude and deploying at a medium altitude (high enough to make the openings unheard by those on the ground).

It's interesting to hear the civilian interpretations of the HALO acronym. My two cents: anything 18,000 MSL or above that requires oxygen and it's a (civilian) HALO in my book!

Cool thread, BTW!
Arrive Safely

John

But Taz is in jail now

Yeah, I heard that. That's really too bad . . . I was on a test with him once and considered him a really great guy to work with.

[:/]

I worked with Taz on several test over China Lake. He sure comes in handy moving 375 pound torso dummies to the door.:P
Sparky
PS: Did you ever work out of a civilian King Air (blue)?
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Technically, a jump where you exit at 12,500 feet and open at 2500 is a HALO.

ROFLMAO. I learn new "facts" everyday on this website. Simply amazing.

So what is your definition?

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Closest thing I can find is here http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/doddict/data/h/02417.html

high-altitude low-opening parachute technique
(DOD) A method of delivering personnel, equipment, or supplies from airlift aircraft that must fly at altitudes above the threat umbrella. Also called HALO.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

to land faster(military way)
havving fun(the rest of us)

i considder jumps above 15000ft(were you at least need to breath O2 in the plane(rules not always followed i know)and dumping below 1500ft as a HALO jump

psst you cant call it low opening if you dont open low.. that simple..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I wish USPA had a HALO Award or a HALO badge, with the wings pointing downward like they do on the military kind...

It would give people who are wild about USPA awards something new to go for.

5 jumps from 30k to get the badge, now that would be something to go for; just to have bragging rights if nothing else...:S

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."