scottjaco

How much do you tip your SUSHI BAR?

I was at a Sushi bar tonight. Question? What % should I tip if I'm sitting at the bar (not at a regular table)? The waitress brings me my drink and the bill, but the sushi cheif takes the order and serves me my food from behind the bar.

I'm guessing that you should tip half in this situation because you are only getting drink service.

What do you think???

Scott

If someone only gets 15% from me then it was pretty bad service. However, the sushi bar is different.

For drinks, 25% of the drink bill. After all, she is serving you, and probably not anything high-dollar to begin with if it's just drinks. Waitresses live off of their tips for a service they perform. Their minumum wage ($3 these days?) is horrible to begin with because they expect to make it up in tips.

Don't forget the sushi chef. He needs to be tipped his share as well in appreciation of the art he has created for you to consume. I'll generally tip 20-25% here as well.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Think of it as tipping all of the staff involved with your meal (since they very well may have a deal to split the tip) and tip according to the quality of service you were provided not some arbitrary percentage.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

My general restaurant rule is 10% if the service wasn't great, no tip if my water glass was empty for most of the meal and I couldn't flag down the waitress, but I tip 20-25% if the service was good. For sushi, I usually tip 20-25%, since the service is usually fine. I haven't run into bad service at a sushi bar yet.

If someone only gets 15% from me then it was pretty bad service. However, the sushi bar is different.

For drinks, 25% of the drink bill. After all, she is serving you, and probably not anything high-dollar to begin with if it's just drinks. Waitresses live off of their tips for a service they perform. Their minumum wage ($3 these days?) is horrible to begin with because they expect to make it up in tips.

Don't forget the sushi chef. He needs to be tipped his share as well in appreciation of the art he has created for you to consume. I'll generally tip 20-25% here as well.

Wow your a damn good tipper! I have to agree with you 100% though when it comes to the sushi bar like that. The chefs are back there creating these beautiful pieces of art....the waitress never lets your pallet get dry...I try to take care of everyone in that situation. I think you should do what YOU feel is best but then take your best and double it. ;)

Do it Again!
P.M.S. #22
LaLa Gang #4

Keep in mind that different countries have different tipping habbits, which may throw off the votes.

I was shocked when I first moved out to London a few years ago... since they never really tip the bartenders. I actually made a lot of friends before someone clued me in. :P:)

I agree, I tip based on service. Anyone who lives in LA knows that Sushi Bars are a dime a dozen.

The service at most sushi bars usually ranges from terrible to mediocre. Most places I visit have only one girl doing everything, hosting, serving drinks, taking money.

If I'm sitting at a table with a date, it's a totally different situation but if I'm by myself, sitting at the bar, I just don't feel a full tip is necessary, especially since Sushi ain't cheap. I'll leave a couple bucks but thats it.

scott

I actually tip much better at the sushi restaraunt then at a regular restaurant. Just because as a general rule the service is a lot better and the chef is putting little works of art on my plate. At the few restuarants I go to there is a tip jar on the sushi bar, so if the waitress sucked, I'll toss the majority of the tip in the tip jar, if she didn't most of the tip will go on the check and I'll toss just a few bucks in the tip jar.

Don't forget in a lot of restaurants the waitress doesn't only have to split the tip with the sushi chef she also has to spilt it with the bar.
Fly it like you stole it!

Don't forget in a lot of restaurants the waitress doesn't only have to split the tip with the sushi chef she also has to spilt it with the bar.

***In that case....waitresses better shape up if they want good tips, or ship out...most shushi bar I've been to...service sucks.
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

Scott, I don't treat sushi restaurants (be it at the bar or at a table) any differently than I do any other restaurant, other than perhaps sharing a tall Sapporo with the chef. Sitting at the bar, I still get the usual ammenities (hot napkin, appetizer, tea).

I would hope that the restaurant takes proper care of the tip distribution. I'm there to enjoy some good food, not worry about paying every individual there for service rendered. In general I do not like the travel industry approach to paying the service staff peanuts and then hitting me up at the end of the trip to take care of them.

Ok I use to waitress and bartend....tip 35% they only make $2.30 an hour and regaurdless of what you are eating or not eating, you are still taking up one of their tables, where they could potent. earn a larger tip off a bigger party, or heavier drinkers....

edited to add...oh and I don't eat sushi after getting really sick from eating fresh water eel...and today I ate at On The Border (I actually worked for one in AZ) in Temecula and my total was $18.65 and I tipped $10. I remember when I was a waitress I hated Sundays, because everyone getting out of church were the worst tippers ever! I would get like $2 on a $45 bill even though I kissed their butss and their kid's butts the whole time...I was super happy when I switched to bartending, because I was getting at the very least $8 a table and plus the waitress had to tip me out at the end of the night. When I bartended at a strip club I would make $500 in tips on a slow night, just because the dancers had to tip me out as well....

if he's sitting at the bar he's not taking up a table...

i tended bar and waited tables thru college at Outbacks and a strip club in FL.. so i know what kind of shit you have to put up with... i always start at 20% and go up or down depending on service... of course i'm pretty low stress customer too so...

luckily never had to deal with the god squad on sundays at outback (no lunch) but my roomates at the Olive Garden hated them....